Wanted: knife for self-defense

Stick Dummy

<b>"Great Guro Wizard of the Gun and Knife"</b>
Reaction score
Frank that's kind of a no brainer, no flame intended. For a young lady a purse, open topped tote bag, lunch bag, or any accessible pocket, external pouch are options. Ideally its in the hand, but socio-enviromental discretion is called for.
Wrapping the "tools" in a handkercheif, napkin with the knife handle being readily accessible worked for me through 8 years of college, and has worked in a number of locations that would not have allowed ANY type of "tactical" knife period.

The mind and mindset determine the use of any tool for self defense.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lately I have been a fan of the folding "husky" boxcutters from Home Depot with the Thumb Studs and pocket clips.

It ain't no weapon. Its a tool, I use it on the job and around the house, and the paint and gunk that it has on it should be enough evidence of that... of course the blade is razor sharp, I *just* replaced it.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cryozombie, the only problem with them is they don't reach to the bottom of the peanut butter jar.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The focus in AMOK! is using a knife to go home safe, but the methods of accessing taught and practice directly translate to accessing any self-defense tool, e.g., gun, knife, whistle, pepper spray, stun gun, or just getting time and space to RUN.
A firearm and a knife are vastly different tools. They work differently and are used differently and therefore "present" differently. They are carried differently the vast majority of the time. I can't see anything more than a couple of general, basic, presentation concepts which translate (don't let your tool be part of the clutter on the bottom of your purse, etc.)

Please don't take offense, but I've seen way too many experts in one weapon believe that it means they're experts in another, especially as it comes to carry and presentation of defensive firearms. I've had to bite my tongue on more than one occasion because an otherwise experienced and capable martial arts instructor believed he could teach quick and proper presentation of a concealed firearm.

Knife training for knives, gun training for guns.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

HerbM

White Belt
Reaction score
A firearm and a knife are vastly different tools. They work differently and are used differently and therefore "present" differently. They are carried differently the vast majority of the time. I can't see anything more than a couple of general, basic, presentation concepts which translate (don't let your tool be part of the clutter on the bottom of your purse, etc.)

Please don't take offense, but I've seen way too many experts in one weapon believe that it means they're experts in another, especially as it comes to carry and presentation of defensive firearms. I've had to bite my tongue on more than one occasion because an otherwise experienced and capable martial arts instructor believed he could teach quick and proper presentation of a concealed firearm.

Knife training for knives, gun training for guns.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

I think you have actually misunderstood where the overlap is trained, and that is likely my fault for not making it more explicit:

Up to the point you present your weapon, surviving the initial attack (most will be surprise attacks), getting space, and beginning to access are pretty much identical.

So is "running" if we treat that as a form of access that follows the other steps.

But there are in addition some similarities between the actual draw of a knife and the draw of a pistol, even though you are quite right that they are different enough to require significantly different practice.

Watch "Die Less Often" or at least the small clips of it on YouTube...

The key is that until you get the time and space to access you have a "combatives problem" not a "weapons problem".

--
HerbM

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Up to the point you present your weapon, surviving the initial attack (most will be surprise attacks), getting space, and beginning to access are pretty much identical.

So is "running" if we treat that as a form of access that follows the other steps.
[...]
The key is that until you get the time and space to access you have a "combatives problem" not a "weapons problem".
That, to me anyway, qualifies as one of those general, basic, concepts such as "don't let your tool be part of the clutter on the bottom of your purse," etc.

Watch "Die Less Often" or at least the small clips of it on YouTube...
I've always liked and recommended the DB stuff.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cryozombie, the only problem with them is they don't reach to the bottom of the peanut butter jar.

Sokay by me, I prefer the peanut butter thats close to the surface anyhow... around the lid and such.

Shin71

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You might go to a gun/knife show and look around. Find something you like that has some type of name to it that isn't made in China or similar then go home, research the knife and if it seems right find a good price for one off of the internet or somewhere else...

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You might go to a gun/knife show and look around. Find something you like that has some type of name to it that isn't made in China or similar then go home, research the knife and if it seems right find a good price for one off of the internet or somewhere else...
I have a nice scar I gave myself (accident of handling/usage) on the back of my knuckles from a cheap pakistani lockback.

Cheap crap doesn't mean worthless. The lockup on my paki was solid and never failed. The blade was cheep stainless that didn't hold an edge very long under working conditions but could get razor sharp and would slash or thrust as well as any expensive knife.

Look, I know that the "buy expensive name brands" is really a recommendation to buy a knife that won't fail when you need it most because of poor quality materials or workmanship but a lot of folks seem to forget that a knife is still a knife even if it's "cheap crap."

The vast majority of knife assaults are performed with cheap knives, not custom Randals or even Bokers and assembly line Cold Steels. And yet the criminals manage to assault people without having their cheap crap china stainless knives explode in their hands.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled knife brand wars. ;)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

padric

White Belt
Reaction score
Coming in late to this thread I hope you have your self defense issue resolved. If not do so immediately. I would reccomend hideawayknife.com, I carry mine a 440c tiger claw, never leave home without it.

Gaius Julius Caesar

Black Belt
Reaction score
The man I crosstrain Pekiti Tarsia under never carries a knife.

He carries a pen, a long and strong pin.

I like knife techniques that don't require you to have an edge like a strait razor and generate alot of power so they double as impacts with a dull blade, a peice of wood or your bare hand.

On the other hand you have the above and a nice, good quality sharpe fighting knife and force is now multiplied.=)