Wanted: knife for self-defense

grace_ashley

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to find a good self-defense knife that suits my needs. On behalf of anyone else who might be in my position and stumble across the forum like I did, I thought I’d post and hopefully get some feedback even though I’m not a regular poster.

First, let me say that I’m learning knife-fighting basics and self defense skills right now. There is no way I’d be foolish enough to carry a real weapon I don’t know how to use. Once I got mugged when I had Mace on me, and I hadn’t bothered to see how the sprayer operated! I am never putting myself in this situation again! Luckily I was in Africa at the time and these men had never come across Mace before. But now that I’ve found an instructor, I feel confident enough to buy a knife and use it to defend myself.

I’m a 21-year-old female college student on a small campus in the southern United States. I need a knife that will fit in my pocket or clip to the waist of my pants. I don’t want it to be conspicuous (like, “Hey everyone, I’ve got a knife!”). It needs to not look vicious in case a judge/jury has to see it; also, it needs to be legal for a college campus! It needs to have a good handle grip so it won’t slip if my hands are wet or sweaty. It needs to be easy to open and have a strong lock, and the blade should be strong enough that it won’t break… not that I’ll be taking apart cargo ships or anything, but it would be nice to have confidence in a strong blade. It needs to come sharp and be easy for me to sharpen. The blade shouldn’t be too long, but it should be long enough to be effective. Also, my budget is around $30 to $40. I’d like to buy something online for a lack of time to go to stores, knife shows, etc.

I’d very much appreciate any input and/or advice here; I don’t know much about knives, and the options are a little overwhelming.

Thanks in advance,
grace

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Avoid "Rambo Knives" and stick with a basic pocket knife. I would recoment you at least pay $80 or more. Cheap knifes break. Stay away from pretty ornimental knives as well; because, they are designed to break on impact.
Sean

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Also, my budget is around $30 to $40. I’d like to buy something online for a lack of time to go to stores, knife shows, etc.

You need to handle the knives, I don't know how big your hand is, or simply what might feel comfortable in it. Spend the time at a cutlery store. Given your budget, take a look at the Columbia River Knife and Tool selection, very good bang for your buck.

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
well, it would depend on what is considered legal for you to carry on campus then?

http://www.trueswords.com/cold-steel-voyagersmed-clip-plain-p-1886.html
-sturdy lock
-light weight

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=BM556P
-my wife uses the benchmade knife in the kitchen (but her's is a pretty color)
-lock seems sturdy enough
-light weight and size good for smaller lady's hands
-get a colorful one and it looks cute

Also, when you get a knife, practice with it. practice opening it, drawing it, taking it out of pocket/purse, etc. knowing how to use training knives in class are one thing, but swinging a real knife needs practice too.

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=CS12BT
-easy to use, no worry about lock failure.
-light weight

Since you're training with a knife now, remember once it comes out, you can't be scared, have to force yourself to have the instinct to use it as you train, otherwise the knife can be a liability.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Speak with the person who is providing your knife training, differnt styles of knife work can require different shapes and styles of blade. Get something suitable for the training you are receiving. Also consider a fixed blade, less parts to go wrong.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spyderco has a line of knives it calls the Byrd series. They're not made quite to Spyderco's usual standards -- but they cost about 1/3 as much as they're regular line. And they're still good solid knives that the company backs. You might look at the Cara Cara; I like it. It's a good utility knife that you can also use to defend yourself.

Do check your school policies as well as the laws in your area. You don't want to either get kicked out of school or get a criminal record...

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
First of all find out what`s legal where you are. (google "Bernard Levine Knife Laws", it`ll give you the basic weapon laws for every state in the union.) Then find out if there`s any university policy on knives and or weapons. Like others have said, you don`t want to get arrested or kicked out of school for breaking policy. Find the school policy in writing if at all possilbe. If not ask the campus police if you can carry a pocket knife on campus and for the love of God don`t say it`s for self defense.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Once you know what you can and can`t carry, I`d look for a plain edge without serrations. You said you want something easy to resharpen, and one that doesn`t look sinister if you should ever have to defend it`s use in court. A plain edge fits the bill better on both counts.

If you want it for self defense, you should be able to open it with one hand, prefferably either hand. So if it has a thumb stud instead of a hole in the blade the stud should be on both sides.

If it`s a pain to carry, you won`t. So get something smaller. When you have it tucked in your waistband and you sit id a car it should still be comfortable.

If the model you like has a slippery handle, you can fix that with a peice grip tape used on skateboards and around swimming pools.

You might consider lookinh at a simle boxcutter. You wouldn`t be able to stab, but they`re cheap, new razor-sharp baldes pop right in, and they may not draw as much attention at university as a knife would.

In any case don`t take it out all the time to show people. Most folks, perhaps even your roommates don`t need to know you carry a blade. Remember what knife instructor James Keating says "Weapons may be present, but they shouldn`t be seen. If weapons are seen, you shouldn`t be present."

OP
G

grace_ashley

White Belt
Reaction score
I giggled at the reminder not to tell campus police I’m buying a knife for self-defense. Besides the fact that I'd end up their "bad kid" list, they would act really offended if I implied that I needed more defense than they provide. No worries here, I’m not going to wave any of my knives around… I am careful not to have this sort of reputation. Even my lessons are on the d.l. … what I am learning right now is more rape aggression defense than anything, so even while I’m learning wholeheartedly I’m still traveling rough ground emotionally and not dying to tell everyone I know! Anyway, I’m not the kind of person you would ever envision being stabbed by : D Except for a few close friends at college who know me better, not many people could possibly conceive of me carrying a knife and being really prepared to use it. But a few nasty situations make even the nicest girls prepared and serious… but I'm deviating off topic here.

I will do a lot of practice with the knife I buy before I actually start to carry it. Like I said, I’m wary of carrying weapons I don’t know how to use.

The legal issue has worried me most in all this. Even now, without a knife, if someone randomly jumps me and I am able to retaliate and hurt them, I don’t want to get in legal trouble. However, I am going to defend myself. Seems that anything less will just make a bad guy want to hurt more women.

My school handbook says, “Students are prohibited from
possession of firearms or weapons on College
property or at events sponsored or supervised
by the College or any recognized College
organization. The possession or use of any
other offensive weapons such as machetes,
bows and arrows, knives, switchblades, and
swords are prohibited.” I will do more research here to find out exactly what this means, and I’ll also ask a friend of mine, who’s a lawyer (and heavy into weapons himself), to help me really understand the state laws.

The spyderco knives with holes instead of thumb studs seem tricky. Aren't they harder to flip out? I definitely want to practice with one of these before I ever buy one. Wushuguy, I like the knife in your second link. (It does have a butterfly…) It looks like it can be opened and closed with one hand. Also, it’s small enough to be safely within blade length restrictions… they’re mostly under 3”

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
spyderco knives are simple and easy to open and close, but in my experience many of them feel flimsy at the lock. that said some benchmade models also feel flimsy, but of three benchmade models vs three spyderco models, 2 of 3 benchmades i own have great locks. the 3rd has a liner lock, which feels flimsy if pressure is applied laterally, but i think all liner locks may be like this. the spyderco have lock back, but there is some play with 2 out of 3 of them, they may have been just sub par knives, but 2 of 3 like this?

from my understanding, no weapons on campus, listing knives, means that you can't carry a weapon knife. but if you get a cute pocket knife, you might be able to pass it of that you use it to peel apples and such. however it would be best to approach those in your campus that know how the campus interprets such wording of their law. nowadays even kids with lego guns will get busted, so you really have to know.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Based on your criteria, I'd say the Spyderco Delica is about the best option available. Easy and positive to open (particularly if you get the "waved" model), strong lock, great blade steel, fairly innocuous looking, and reasonably priced.

I've got several Spyderco knives (including the Delica) that I've carried and used for years and they have outlasted several higher priced, fancier knives.

If you don't like those, I'd recommend spending a little more and buying a Benchmade Mini-Griptilian. The Benchmade Axis-Lock is one of the best out there and the Griptilian comes in lots of "innocent" colors (pink, yellow, blue, etc.)

Now for my general knife advice:

-avoid liner-locks, there are better designs out there at any price point
-stick with a plain edge, much easier to sharpen and will be less prone to snagging
-Google search the model you want to shop for the cheapest price...don't buy from the manufacturer.

TigerCraneGuy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Based on your criteria, I'd say the Spyderco Delica is about the best option available. Easy and positive to open (particularly if you get the "waved" model), strong lock, great blade steel, fairly innocuous looking, and reasonably priced.

I've got several Spyderco knives (including the Delica) that I've carried and used for years and they have outlasted several higher priced, fancier knives.

If you don't like those, I'd recommend spending a little more and buying a Benchmade Mini-Griptilian. The Benchmade Axis-Lock is one of the best out there and the Griptilian comes in lots of "innocent" colors (pink, yellow, blue, etc.)

Now for my general knife advice:

-avoid liner-locks, there are better designs out there at any price point
-stick with a plain edge, much easier to sharpen and will be less prone to snagging
-Google search the model you want to shop for the cheapest price...don't buy from the manufacturer.

I second the Spyderco suggestion. Fantastic knives, and imho, the Spyder-hole brings the knife into action more easily then a thumb-stud.

Just got myself a P'Kal and already, it's my favourite knife. Swift to bring into play (with the Wave mechanism), superbly balanced, and it fluidly indexes into Reverse Grip Edge In, which I'm starting to discover works well for me (using Keating's Drawpoint and Floro's FFS methodology).

Just waiting on the trainer and my Shivworks DVDs to arrive now :)...

Cheers

BTW: How's it going with the P'Kal, Tex? Understand you've been carrying one for a while.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like it a lot and still carry it very frequently. I really think it's the best folder on the market for its intended application.

You will be very happy with the Shivworks DVDs...all 4 of them are top-notch. I trained with SouthNarc this past summer (ECQC I&II, my review is posted on this site) and it was one of the best training experiences I've had thus far.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Based on my knowledge of college campuses and their rules I would confidently say that having a pocket knife on your possession would be viewed as a weapon by many administrators. Please contact an administrator on your campus to find out if they actually allow legal limit knives for students.

However if you are able to carry then benchmade is an excellent choice! ;)

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Based on my knowledge of college campuses and their rules I would confidently say that having a pocket knife on your possession would be viewed as a weapon by many administrators. Please contact an administrator on your campus to find out if they actually allow legal limit knives for students.

However if you are able to carry then benchmade is an excellent choice! ;)

Personally, when it comes to knives, I tend to be the type to say **** it, do it anyway.

You can always pass it off as a tool (which, of course, it is) and a knife is so easy to conceal, there should literally be no reason for anyone to see it unless you need to use it.

There is a line between following the asinine rules (which, it should be noted, are the regulations of that establishment. Not laws that carry criminal penalties), and leaving yourself totally defenseless.

Disclaimer: This is not legal advice, this is not encouragement to break the law, this is my own personal opinion...blah, blah, blah.

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Intent on use can land you in hot water which you already know.

Highly doubtful you can have a fixed blade on campus, so your options are probably folders less than 3".

I see a lot of people recommending straight plain blade over serrations. A plain blade may or may not slice through clothing, but may penetrate (stab). While a serrated knife may better cut through clothing. There are exceptions.

Get some meat and wrap some cheap t-shirts around and around until you have a few layers. See what will cut through. See if your knife will cut through some old jeans. Practicing in the air is one thing and practicing against material is another. You want to know if your knife can cut through clothing before you ever have to face that situation. You might not be lucky enough to fight against someone that is topless.

Spyderco's serrated blades can be sharpened by the company ($20.00 plus $5 for S&H). A knife dealer near you may be able to re-serrate the knife at a lower cost.

Cuteryshoppe sells some Spyderco knives
http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/spyderco.aspx

Check the internet for better prices from a reputable dealer.

HerbM

White Belt
Reaction score
Didn't catch your state, but anyone looking for a legal self-defense knife needs to at least know the rules locally.

Usually 3" or less is legal most any place -- and women who don't show them unnecessarily are usually given a pass by most police including campus police -- a guy is much more likely to get frisked for some other reason and to get arrested or reported if a technically illegal knife is found.

Some states let you go big, but the OP is looking for something inconspicuous in any case so this largely argues for smaller folders.

Another poster mentioned the Spyderco Delica -- I carried a pair of these for about 10 years (started with these because originally we could take them on airplanes until 9/11.)

They are probably more expensive now, but I only paid $35 for the fixed clip, and $40 for the reversible pocket clip model (to ride left side). That was right on the budget for the OP.

Living in Texas, I can go to 5 1/2", so now I carry a ColdSteel Voyager XL (5") right and a ColdSteel Spartan (4 1/2") left side. These cost $58 each (tax and shipping included, a littler more than the OPs budget.

But if theses are too large or to expensive I would definitely recommend looking at ColdSteel's other offerings, e.g., smaller Voyagers such as the medium or large.

You will save a little on the smaller size.

Finally, this wasn't asked, but make SURE you can always get to the tool. Of course pocket clips work pretty well, but if you decide to put in INTO a purse, make sure you clip it somewhere accessible and always in the same place and practice getting it out (a lot, regularly, frequently...)

Same goes for pepper sprays, stun guns, whistles, firearms., etc. -- you must be able to put your hand on it immediately and access it even if you are already under attack, knocked down, etc...

The best knife for self-defense? The one you have in your hand when you are attacked....

I would also strongly recommend AMOK! training with Tom Sotis and attending one of the local training groups if you can find one near you.

The focus in AMOK! is using a knife to go home safe, but the methods of accessing taught and practice directly translate to accessing any self-defense tool, e.g., gun, knife, whistle, pepper spray, stun gun, or just getting time and space to RUN.

--
HerbM

Stick Dummy

<b>"Great Guro Wizard of the Gun and Knife"</b>
Reaction score
Get yourself a good steak knife with matching fork and spoon and carry them with you...

Easy to explain and none of the hassles of a "tactical" folder.

This came from a now deceased friend with lots of experience overseas in some not so friendly places.
Kept him alive past retirement.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm assuming by now you've alread gotten your blade.

The key at this point is the right combination of concealment and accessibility.........that and the right mindset that if the time comes you'll use it to defend yourself.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Get yourself a good steak knife with matching fork and spoon and carry them with you...

Easy to explain and none of the hassles of a "tactical" folder.

This came from a now deceased friend with lots of experience overseas in some not so friendly places.
Kept him alive past retirement.

How do you carry all this cutlery, while allowing you quick access to the knife when necessary?

Latest Discussions