Want to Lift Weights

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
Ego problems.
I hate doing flat bench presses. The only reason I do flat presses is with dumbbells. I finish with a decline barbell press. On my incline days I do the same. Incline dumbbells first, heavy. Then at the end use the barbell. Too many people do the same thing of "I can't bench more than you". Who really gives a ****. Put a pair of dumbells in your hand and strech the pecs to the max then press. See how many reps with what weight you can do then. I can't stand the ego's in the gym. Everyone is there for the common reason. Get in shape and push yourself. Well at least it should be that.

Excellent point. I HATE that the first question always out of people's mouth when they hear I work out is; "How much can you press?". Fortunately the person who I get my training and advice from (fitness fanatic coworker) has no ego problem and thinks overstressing your body is stupid. Also, so MANY gym accidents are the result of showing off. These are some of the reason that I use dumbells at home and avoid commercial gyms.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
green meanie said:
If I were you, I'd just start out with a couple sets of dumbells. They don't require a lot of weight to do what you'd want to do with them and there's a lot of options available since can do just about anything you can think of with them.

For Lisa's stated goals, IIRC, of endurance, toning and moderate strength increase, dumbbells would be perfect, IMO, as well. For her husband, who wants to gain mass, heavier weights (as well as a spotter for safety) will be needed. For most martial artists, I personally think that dumbells, combined with some bodyweight exercises, are ideal.

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I've seen the argument that the single arm is better for this and for other exercises, but have usually stuck with the double (for no special reason).

You just gotta ask; better for what? Everything is relative depending on goals.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm looking to bulk up--not like a bodybuilder, but a healthier look, and more muscle to burn fat.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Lisa said:
So in the spirit of the new year, my hubby and I have decided to start lifting weights on a regular basis and are contemplating either investing in a machine or free weights. We have a few free weights, just not enough.

Would you recommend BowFlex (I am a little leary of this one) or an actual weight machine with the pulleys or free weights? why or why not?

Much Thanks! :)

a friend and I recently went in on a BowFlex together. i like the workouts. the BF people plan for more workouts than what you'll be able to complete anyway (in a timely fashion, daily). from experience, the BF is more geared toward toning, rather than strength training. we use it 3 times a week for about 20 minutes on various workouts. IMO, money well spent.

good luck with your resolution.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've used machines, free weights, and resistance tubes at difference times and for different reasons.

The machines, I think, are fine for general strength training, and they keep the alignment. You can't fall out of place as easily with a machine. I find my biggest problem with machines is that it's easy to allow your stronger side to take the weight while your non-dominant side goofs off.

IMO, free weights are better to improve symmetry, and for definition. Thye require more control than machines.

Resistance bands are easy, safe, adjustable, and very convenient. I use them a lot.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Phoenix44 said:
I've used machines, free weights, and resistance tubes at difference times and for different reasons.

The machines, I think, are fine for general strength training, and they keep the alignment. You can't fall out of place as easily with a machine. I find my biggest problem with machines is that it's easy to allow your stronger side to take the weight while your non-dominant side goofs off.

IMO, free weights are better to improve symmetry, and for definition. Thye require more control than machines.

Resistance bands are easy, safe, adjustable, and very convenient. I use them a lot.

I forgot entirely about resistance bands. Yes, they are great and very inexpensive, versatile and safe (relative to free weights, IMO).

Personally, I just never had luck with strength increases carrying over into martial arts from machines; although I recognize that other's will have different results.

I forgot to add to Lisa something that I forgot mention in my earlier responses - if a person is otherwise in good shape, you will be astonished what they can accomplish in terms of general toning, increased endurance and modest strength increases simply by adding two to three 40 minute workouts a week. A trainer or good video, though, is necessary, IMO, as that efficiency only comes with skill and knowledge. I have better results now at 38 by lifting two to three days a week for 45 minutes than I did when almost literally living at the gym at 19 years of age.

Also, find a way to add pull-ups to your routine - if you don't already. In terms of real-world functional strength, it is one of the most important exercises out there and your personal safety (or your family's) could someday depend upon your being able to pull yourself up (onto a boat after falling overboard, out of a burning building, etc.). Best of luck in your training.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sarah said:
Made any progress yet Lisa!! decided what you are going to do?

Sorry, I have been preoccupied with trying to get back in the swing of things after my three week xmas break :)

Yup, have decided on the free weights (space is an issue) with cardio on my stationary bike and perhaps elipitical, we will see.

Hubby and I are going weight shopping on Thursday as it seems that is the only evening this week we have together.

Any suggestions as to what we should buy? What is a good amount of weights to have? And what is the pros/cons to having a straight bar as opposed to one of those bent ones?

Thanks everyone, you all have been great. :)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you only get one bar, you'll want a straight one. As to how much weight...you can buy plates singly, so don't worry too much about it!

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
"Bent ones" are the E-Z Curls and not really needed. As far as starting out, picking up a set is the more $ efficient, so the 300lbs. olympic or the 100lbs. standard whichever suits ya'lls need the best. Shop around because most places(at least around here) put them on sale fairly regular. The same for individual plates...I just got to 45 pounders for 49 cents a pound which are typically 59 cents a pound.

A normal store bought set should suit your needs fine but if you are interested in a more of a competitive quality I can post a couple links to good suppliers...but I doubt you'll need it.

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dont forget to have a look on an auction site (Ebay) or something similar...lots of people buy weights and never use them, you may be able to pick up some for cheap.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Went out and bought the weights I needed. Didn't need much as we already had some.

I went online and found a "beginner" weight lifting routine and tried it out Tuesday evening. I made the big beginner gung ho mistake of going at it really hard. :)

Owie....I hurt today. I found those muscles that I thought I didn't have. :( Yesterday wasn't too bad but today stairs are lots of fun! (NOT!) LOL! Serves me right.

Anyways... going to lift again tonight. A little slower and a little less "gung ho" like.

I am thinking three times a week is a good start so I will probably do the routine on Saturday again, that is, if I can walk ;)

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lisa said:
Went out and bought the weights I needed. Didn't need much as we already had some.

I went online and found a "beginner" weight lifting routine and tried it out Tuesday evening. I made the big beginner gung ho mistake of going at it really hard. :)

Owie....I hurt today. I found those muscles that I thought I didn't have. :( Yesterday wasn't too bad but today stairs are lots of fun! (NOT!) LOL! Serves me right.

Anyways... going to lift again tonight. A little slower and a little less "gung ho" like.

I am thinking three times a week is a good start so I will probably do the routine on Saturday again, that is, if I can walk ;)

Hehe...the second day after is always the worst.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good for you! Three times a week is fine, but you can make good progress at twice a week (or every three days) too. Some people actually do better at only twice a week. Don't feel you need to go often...you need to do it regularly, get rest, and make sure there's enough protein in your diet.

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Lisa, if you find the time or care why don't you post a bit of this routine you speak of? Just curious(this is kind of my field, ya know).

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shirt Ripper said:
Lisa, if you find the time or care why don't you post a bit of this routine you speak of? Just curious(this is kind of my field, ya know).

Would love your input, so here goes.

I am trying to make it a well rounded routine with my arms, legs and abs.

LEGS:
Dumbell squats = 3 sets of 10
Dumbell lunges = 3 sets of 10, each leg
Reverse lunges = 3 sets of 10, each leg (alternate days between reverse and lunges)
Calf raises = 50 each leg
(I am only holding 5 pounds in each hand)

Also tried the butt exercise that sarah mentioned up thread, the burn was incredible!

ARMS and SHOULDERS:
Bicep curls = 3 sets of 10
Dumbell shoulder press = 3 sets of 10
Concentration curl = 3 sets of 10
Dumbell tricep extension = 3 sets of 10
Kickback = 3 sets of 10

Weights I am holding vary depending on the exercise.

ABS:
Raised leg crunches usually about 50 holding for 4 seconds.

The first set is easy, the second harder and the third a killer. Perhaps I am doing too much at once or maybe not enough? Haven't technically done "exercise" like these in quite some time. Input is welcome :)

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:

Just my experience, but I have found that a five day rest works best for me after a lay off longer than a couple of months. The reason is, that the body needs to rebuild and acclimate itself to the new stress of resistance exercises and working out. IMO, less than at least a 72 hour rest after your fist workout will actually set you back.

Don't worry at all about using 5 pound weights. When I began high-repetition lifting for endurance and toning, I started with only a five and ten pound weights (ten, only for easier exercises). I am now at 50 pounds for many of the exercises that twelve years ago, I used 5-10 for.

Also, don't overlook dips, pushups and pullups. These bodyweight exercises have enormous strength payoffs, IMO.

Good luck and I"m glad it is working for you. Keep us apraised of your progress.

Latest Discussions