Wal Mart, going green lost the green

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In fact, a little extra research (sorry, I just refuse to perseverate over stocks like Scrooge McDuck or something....:lol: )reveals that the decline for Wal mart was in sales, about what one would expect in the economy of the last two years:people have less money, people spend less money. Of course, that decline in sales averages out to around 2% per quarter.Including its United States, international and Sam’s Club divisions, however, Wal-Mart earned $5.02 billion, or $1.41 a share, from continuing operations compared with $4.82 billion or $1.26 a share, in the fourth quarter a year ago. For the 2011 fiscal year, earnings rose 6.3 percent to $15.4 billion.

That decline in sales is what is called "same store" sales, and is an indicator of retailing/merchandising strategy success.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
'Comp' stores decline will be analysed and put into 2 categories. If it is an across the board decline, it will likely be due to the economy. If it is on specific merchandise, it will be due to buyers missing the mark. Earnings grew due to expension and cost cutting.

Every retail chain tries to do something different. It's called trying to grow your market. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.

Walmart achieves profitability 2 ways. By cutting costs, they are one of the most brutal customers o deal with in the retail supply chain. The other is by moving a large volume of low margin items. It is normal for any retailler to try to expand their target market, especially when it can be done by stocking higher price, higher margin items. However, limited shelf space means that in order to stock the new items, something needs to be removed. If enough of the low price, low margin items are removed you strat to erode yor existing customer base. And if you can't attract enough of the new base, that marketing initiative is deemed to have failed. That's what happenned at Walmart. Normal retail operations.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
wal_marx_poster-p228794381085549148t5ta_400.jpg

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Thank goodness it fits with the company name.

But the statement fits to other than walmart companies far better....like the other 4 global top 5 companies, all oil conglomerats.

Maybe BP fell off a bit last year, you know, corporate greed: saving 200.000 dollars only to cause a multi billion dollar catastrophy. Gotta love it.

Walmart is actually harmless.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank goodness it fits with the company name.

But the statement fits to other than walmart companies far better....like the other 4 global top 5 companies, all oil conglomerats.

Maybe BP fell off a bit last year, you know, corporate greed: saving 200.000 dollars only to cause a multi billion dollar catastrophy. Gotta love it.

Walmart is actually harmless.

It's a Tshirt Hell Shirt. I'm just passin it along since we are talkin about Walmart

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
LOL

And everybody's racist if they disagree with the liberals.

That's just what political discourse looks like these days.
Yeah? Well, YOU'RE a racist. Watcha gonna do now?

I... I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me. I think we need to bring in some trained mediators. I'm feeling very emotionally fragile, and I'm having trouble reconciling my own world views, which have been carefully built using a combination of selective fact, unsupported opinion and wishful thinking layered seamlessly over a lifetime with recent events filtered through news opinion outlets and what I learned from listening to my dad.

We need help... if only we had a hero. Someone who could resolve the unresolvable. Who can make sense of it all. If only the Cognitive Dissonator were here.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah? Well, YOU'RE a racist. Watcha gonna do now?

I... I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me. I think we need to bring in some trained mediators. I'm feeling very emotionally fragile, and I'm having trouble reconciling my own world views, which have been carefully built using a combination of selective fact, unsupported opinion and wishful thinking layered seamlessly over a lifetime with recent events filtered through news opinion outlets and what I learned from listening to my dad.

We need help... if only we had a hero. Someone who could resolve the unresolvable. Who can make sense of it all. If only the Cognitive Dissonator were here.

:wuguns:

there he is....

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You know you should be much more careful when talking about the sensitive subject of race! :lfao:

[yt]RovF1zsDoeM[/yt]

Latest Discussions