Wah Lum Exploration

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well what's more Mr funny tone...

Master Chan is from Toison (that'd be Taishan to y'all who talk funny). So his Cantonese isn't straight up Guangzhou Cantonese or even Hong Kong dialect Cantonese or Canto-darin.

You will learn it like Xue said just by association in class, but learn it now & learn it early & life will be much easier.

Give me a shout if you've got questions. I'll help with what I can.

Taishan… now was that so hard… the only PROPER way to say it and spell it if you are writing in Pinyin :D

By the way a note on my horrible Mandarin (and it is horrible): I was trying to speak to a woman I work with, who is from Shanghai and she just sat there staring at me. I stopped and apologized for pronouncing things so horrible to which she said...”Oh no the pronounciations were fine” She just could not figure out why this meiguoren was speaking with a Beijing accent

Mebbe I'll learn both, neh?

Heavens no… I tried that a few years back and it got INCREDIBLY confusing. I got to a point where the only person that could understand me was a friend of mine who was from Guangzhou that spoke Cantonese, Mandarin and was an English teacher in China. Shortly after that my brain went fizzle and I forgot it all. Learn one first and when you are comfortable with it go to the other.

You will find most people from China that are 60 or less can speak mandarin. Those that are from the South do tend to speak more dialects than those from the North. My Taiji sifu is from the south and speaks Shanghai Dialect, Cantonese and Mandarin, My friend from Guangzhou spoke the same 3 dialects the woman I have referred to spoke Cantonese and Mandarin as does a very good friend of mine from Hong Kong. My first sifu (Northerner) speaks only mandarin, my Sanda sifu, from way north China, spoke only Mandarin, an old training buddy of mine who is from Beijing speaks only mandarin and my wife also speaks only Mandarin as does her entire family as well, This is only as far as Chinese dialects go, they all speak English...well not my wife's entire family. My wife has thought about learning Cantonese but has yet to do so... if we ever travel to Hong Kong she likely will work on it

Note:

clfsean, IMO, is the goto guy for Cantonese on MT (even though it is the devil tongue) :D

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Bugger... :whip1:

On a side note... I'm looking into possible taking up Xingyi.

Cool... What stlye?

On a related side note, I'm going to check out a new Wing Chun school tomorrow. But then of course we all know Wing Chun is a Northern style called Yongchun you Southern types stole and tried to claim you invented :D

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cool... What stlye?

On a related side note, I'm going to check out a new Wing Chun school tomorrow. But then of course we all know Wing Chun is a Northern style called Yongchun you Southern types stole and tried to claim you invented :D

Gao from Taiwan.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
...anybody know what they speak in Tibet...?

Depends... the young kids & say adults younger than 40... Mandarin with local dialects after. Old folks... whatever the local dialect is. At least in cities like Lhasa.

Out in the country, I'm guessing Mandarin is a 2nd or maybe a 3rd language.

The monks speak both but from what I heard in Serah, Jokorum & around Potola was strictly Tibetan in the temples.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
OK so now that we have successfully hijacked egg’s thread

Egg

Tell us about your day training Tibetan Wah Lum where they speak Cantodarin or is it Mandarinese :D

Sorry Egg for the unintentional hijack :asian:

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK so now that we have successfully hijacked egg’s thread

Egg

Tell us about your day training Tibetan Wah Lum where they speak Cantodarin or is it Mandarinese :D

Sorry Egg for the unintentional hijack :asian:

Well, as you might expect in a Tibetan kwoon, it's a little chaotic. Sifu tells us what to do, then someone from the central gov't comes in and tells us sifu's wrong and to do it his way. Then, he leaves and we do what sifu says.

Class is conducted mostly in pig-latin with scattered American West (c 1887) expletives.

My legs only hurt when the gov't rep is nearby.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, as you might expect in a Tibetan kwoon, it's a little chaotic. Sifu tells us what to do, then someone from the central gov't comes in and tells us sifu's wrong and to do it his way. Then, he leaves and we do what sifu says.

Class is conducted mostly in pig-latin with scattered American West (c 1887) expletives.

My legs only hurt when the gov't rep is nearby.

As well as it should be.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I learned our first form last night. Nothing mind-bending there. First forms all seem to be notably similar. One or two basic moves in 4 directions. Begin and end in the same spot, etc. Class was tiring, though. I kinda felt 49, lol.

Also, the kids trhew me a birthday party. Pirates and hidden treasures! We all had eyepatches and cutlasses and parrots and there was much dubloons to be had. FFXIII and Avatar on blu-ray. Plus, a cake with 49 candles all in one corner. Non-extiguishable candles, mind you. Smoke alarms went off lol.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I learned our first form last night. Nothing mind-bending there. First forms all seem to be notably similar. One or two basic moves in 4 directions. Begin and end in the same spot, etc. Class was tiring, though. I kinda felt 49, lol.

8 Chain Punches?

Also, the kids trhew me a birthday party. Pirates and hidden treasures! We all had eyepatches and cutlasses and parrots and there was much dubloons to be had. FFXIII and Avatar on blu-ray. Plus, a cake with 49 candles all in one corner. Non-extiguishable candles, mind you. Smoke alarms went off lol.

Fun!!

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
8 Chain Punches?

Lol...lemme see (and excuse my poor terminology)

From attention to horsestance, 3 straight punches (L, R, L)
Right foot forward into mountain-climbing, R Middle Block, Left reverse Punch

Reverse South, Block, Punch (as above)
West, Block Punch (as above)
Reverse East, Block, Punch (as above)
North, Block, Punch (as above)
Left Leg back to attention
Sau

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lol...lemme see (and excuse my poor terminology)

From attention to horsestance, 3 straight punches (L, R, L)
Right foot forward into mountain-climbing, R Middle Block, Left reverse Punch

Reverse South, Block, Punch (as above)
West, Block Punch (as above)
Reverse East, Block, Punch (as above)
North, Block, Punch (as above)
Left Leg back to attention
Sau

That sounds about right. Good intro drill to get you used to moving & such.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I took Weds off to help my kid move; so, tonight was a snap back into the groove. Now that we have this first, introductory form learned, we'll refine it the rest of this week and then move on to new stuffs next week.

Yah, legs=ow; but, it's getting better. More to the point, even though I still get winded easily, I'm recovering a lot faster.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Still hanging in there.

29 days no smokes! Began the 2nd phaqse of the beginner's section last night with the first 4 hand strikes as well as some kicks from the ground.

Beyond that, sink that stance a little deeper, he said.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Still hanging in there.

29 days no smokes! Began the 2nd phaqse of the beginner's section last night with the first 4 hand strikes as well as some kicks from the ground.

Beyond that, sink that stance a little deeper, he said.

Ping Choy, Gwa Choy, Chao Choy, Biin Choy??

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thiose look quite familiar!

Straight punch
Uppercut with an low palm block
Backfist, well, not quite a backfist, with a high block
Backfist