Wacky stuff I've heard about firearms

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Erm, never heard of rubber bullets, as used in crowd control? They bruise, and they're ejected from a firearm.

A paintbal gun's sole purpose is to pretend to be a firearm and be fired toward a person, pretending to kill them. I can't say the same about a grease gun.

Btw, I could cause a serious injury with my grease gun...

I practice shooting targets, because shooting targets is what I intend to do - why is it so hard for you to understand that not everyone who fires a gun wants to kill someone or something?

As for countless hours, well that's just pathetic. I've spent more time watching cartoons.

No matter what you claim, by training in a martial art (unless you practice some sort of no touch nonsense) you're practicing to use your own body in a more hostile fashion than I practice using a firearm.

Ergo, your argument has no merit.
Rubber bullets don't cause slight brusing, and your not Firing rubber bullets are you, so it seems to have no bearing? Shooting things and watching cartoons Hmm are the two connected in someway i wonder

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Erm, never heard of rubber bullets, as used in crowd control? They bruise, and they're ejected from a firearm.

A paintbal gun's sole purpose is to pretend to be a firearm and be fired toward a person, pretending to kill them. I can't say the same about a grease gun.

Btw, I could cause a serious injury with my grease gun...

I practice shooting targets, because shooting targets is what I intend to do - why is it so hard for you to understand that not everyone who fires a gun wants to kill someone or something?

As for countless hours, well that's just pathetic. I've spent more time watching cartoons.

No matter what you claim, by training in a martial art (unless you practice some sort of no touch nonsense) you're practicing to use your own body in a more hostile fashion than I practice using a firearm.

Ergo, your argument has no merit.
Your actually making a good case to ban paintball here

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Your actually making a good case to ban paintball here

Well, let's face it - it's much much more like play murder than wanting to hold a 1" group at 300yds.

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It's fact that a gun, knife, sword, stick or a rock is just a THING; and a "thing" can have NO PURPOSE; only THE PERSON can exibit "purpose". A "thing" can only have a function and never exibit purpose. A gun, knife or a slingshot are "things" and a "thing" is an inanimate object unlike a person. An object will not move, convince one to do evil or anything else except just remain where it's placed. It will only move if one picks it up and transfers it from one place to another; i.e. the purpose is totally up to the human. It is rather scary for anyone to demonize a thing be it a car, gun, bottle of whiskey; what about a house and will it stop there?

My advice has always been that if one dislikes something, one should stay away from it. I use to be a cop and was required to carry a handgun. I like guns; and since I love history, I own a few flintlock longrifles - 17th and 18th technology. I'm pretty sure cops no longer need to be armed due to the, previously mention, non-lethal devices in widespread use. I recommend getting familiar with "prior restrant", which means punishing, jailing or denying somethig to a person who alledgedly MIGHT do or acquire something the rulers considered "bad".

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's fact that a gun, knife, sword, stick or a rock is just a THING; and a "thing" can have NO PURPOSE; only THE PERSON can exibit "purpose". A "thing" can only have a function and never exibit purpose. A gun, knife or a slingshot are "things" and a "thing" is an inanimate object unlike a person. An object will not move, convince one to do evil or anything else except just remain where it's placed. It will only move if one picks it up and transfers it from one place to another; i.e. the purpose is totally up to the human. It is rather scary for anyone to demonize a thing be it a car, gun, bottle of whiskey; what about a house and will it stop there?

My advice has always been that if one dislikes something, one should stay away from it. I use to be a cop and was required to carry a handgun. I like guns; and since I love history, I own a few flintlock longrifles - 17th and 18th technology. I'm pretty sure cops no longer need to be armed due to the, previously mention, non-lethal devices in widespread use. I recommend getting familiar with "prior restrant", which means punishing, jailing or denying somethig to a person who alledgedly MIGHT do or acquire something the rulers considered "bad".

You're pretty sure cops no longer need to be armed? For real?

And I have the sneaky suspicion this thread is not long for this world. Probably a good thing.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Forty three years for us, through wars (real ones) we've both been in and some tricky peace times too.

That is awesome Tez. Congratulations.
Jacquie and I are 40 years.

That's awesome guys. I've been married for for thirty one, but we dated for nine years before that.

And I'm quite sure that when I'm on my death bed she'll say....
"Is that what you're going to wear?"

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

That's complete nonsence, people design things for a purpose, and that intent can make an object intrinsically bad, hollow point bullets, land mines Agent orange, napam And and GUNs to name but a few

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Correctly known as baton rounds, they fired from a weapon not 'ejected', there's plastic and rubber ones. We used them in Northern Ireland. They can kill.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
They can kill.

tenor.gif

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was target shooting with a friend in a rock quarry, he fired his .30-30 rifle from about ten feet to my side while I was about even with the end of the muzzle. The shockwave and sound felt like I was punched in the back.

This might have been different if we were in an open field instead of a semi-enclosed quarry. But yeah, under certain circumstances, it can be deafening and you can feel it.

Another time, as a child we were target shooting with our fathers. My friends father fired a semi-auto .22, and the ejected cartridge flipped out and burned my friend’s arm. So yeah, things can happen. Maybe some stories are exaggerated, but things can happen.
I've gotten burned many times by flying brass. Had more than one go down my shirt, one somehow slipped up a sleeve (never did figure that out). They can definitely burn slightly (though I can't imagine that'd be enough to even be felt under adrenaline rush). I'm trying to imagine that from the .30-30, and would love to actually feel it (with hearing protection - my right ear already kind of sucks).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Louder than a small pistol, but petsonally, I don't consider a .223 to be loud even with a 16 inch barrel, at least in comparison to other common hunting rifles. Might be why I am biased. I am including in my experiance some guns a heck of alot louder and more powerfull than what alot of people are exposed to these days. I mean, a.223 isn't quiet, but it's no 30-06 or 7mag. A 10mm carbine would be sweet! But my wife just informed me of a sudden need to save a bit more money, another little one on the way. Woo hoo!
Hey, congratulations!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A 9mm on discharge is rated at 159 dB. while a .223 is rated a 155 dB.
For reference; a .357 Magnum 164.3 dB while a Colt 45 ACP is 157dB.
For context +10dB represents about a doubling in perceived volume, so teh .357 mag. is about twice as loud as the .223. Of course, there are other factors. Most folks perceive the boom of a .45 as "bigger" than that of a .9mm, so will think it is louder.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Danny, I appreciate you citing your source. Just to check my own sanity I talked to one of my classmates (Air Force Security Forces Academy), who is a civilian SWAT officer, today about this very question. While he did not necessarily agree that 5.56mm is louder than 9mm, he did agree that it is much more uncomfortable to fire off without ear protection, particularly in close quarters. I interpret this to mean that even if 5.56mm is not necessarily louder, it produces greater blast and flash.
The frequency range involved can also affect how we perceive the volume, which won't show up in those simple numbers.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Correctly known as baton rounds, they fired from a weapon not 'ejected', there's plastic and rubber ones. We used them in Northern Ireland. They can kill.
For context +10dB represents about a doubling in perceived volume, so teh .357 mag. is about twice as loud as the .223. Of course, there are other factors. Most folks perceive the boom of a .45 as "bigger" than that of a .9mm, so will think it is louder.
Technical correction 3 Db is a doubling of perceived volume, So ten is doubled and doubled and doubled again plus a third if another double

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well GUNs have no other purpose than to kill things, if your shooting TARkets ,your practising killing things. It's rather the same with your Bow and crossbow to be honest, if you want to show of your hand eye coordination, play snooker or darts, or if you want something pOSHer, play croquet,

Look at it this way, if someone spent their Sunday afternoon practising hitting People shaped tarkets with their car, you might suspect them of being unsuitable to own a car
So, people who enjoy target shooting have some unmet need to kill, of which they are not aware?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Technical correction 3 Db is a doubling of perceived volume, So ten is doubled and doubled and doubled again plus a third if another double
10dB is for loudness. 3dB is sound intensity. Either is possibly correct, which is more than a bit odd, but sound is like that.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why shoot pop cans, they are generally harmless, unless you are practising to shoot a living thing!
Well, if you want to get good at shooting pop bottles, there's very little that simulates that as well as shooting a pop bottle. Your premise assumes the intention is to protect from harm ("they are generally harmless"). Not everyone who uses a gun is practicing using it for its admittedly original function.