Volunteer Referees' Guide

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One of our local tournaments was recently in-a-bind: they didn't have enough volunteer judges / refs (in addition to the core group of experienced judges / refs they had already lined up). So, the tournament asked for additional black-belt volunteers and provided a quick four-hour training session. After taking the quick-training, I also read-up as much as I could. There are some good YouTube videos on this topic too. Then, of course, I put in about 10 hours actually working the tournament. So now I'm an expert. ;-) (not!)

I see that there are some books out there for "Volunteer Refs", such as this one: The Guide for the Volunteer Taekwondo Referee by Marc Zirogiannis (Paperback) - Lulu You'all might know of some additional references.

Anyway, after our tournament was over, I wrote-down everything I could remember about how we officiated the "small rings" at that particular tournament. (The main ring was officiated by experienced refs of course.) My thinking was that we could use this guide to help train-up the volunteers the next time we helped at a local tournament. I ran this by a couple of our other volunteers who added some more good material and edits.

Here's what I came up with: dropcanvas - instant drag and drop sharing - Tournament Guide

I mention this in case any of your guys have schools that also host tournaments: you're welcome to download this, edit it for your tournament, and make it yours.

Our tournament used the KP&P scoring system for sparring, so I also wrote a short "user's guide" so that in the future our Recorders wouldn't have to learn on-the-spot!

This isn't intended to replace real training for certified officials of course! The audience for this is volunteer officials at smaller local tournaments.