Voluntary amputees opt for Bionic parts

OP
Omar B

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I posted this article earlier today and have just now worked up the stomach to read the whole thing, still not watching the video, no matter how benign. But then, I'm quite easily grossed out by real life violence, blood, etc. Yes, I've spent my whole life in karate but can't look at violence, sue me.

The practical side of me thinks this is great, many people with such maladies can be helped. In a few years a new hand might be much closer to the real thing to make this an even more attractive option. Heck, this guy himself can get upgrades as things improve. His quality of life has gone up, and I'm happy for him.

But the other, smaller, less practical, prone to bouts of being grossed out by even unwashed dishes in the sink part of me is still all weirded out.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I posted this article earlier today and have just now worked up the stomach to read the whole thing, still not watching the video, no matter how benign. But then, I'm quite easily grossed out by real life violence, blood, etc. Yes, I've spent my whole life in karate but can't look at violence, sue me.

The practical side of me thinks this is great, many people with such maladies can be helped. In a few years a new hand might be much closer to the real thing to make this an even more attractive option. Heck, this guy himself can get upgrades as things improve. His quality of life has gone up, and I'm happy for him.

But the other, smaller, less practical, prone to bouts of being grossed out by even unwashed dishes in the sink part of me is still all weirded out.

LOL, I agree it's a bit creepy to have a limb taken off (but hey, didn't work anyhow...so why keep it!)

But you certainly crack me up....
I am off now...got dirty dishes to clean up...

OP
Omar B

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK. Hang with me on this because I'm gonna go all crazy pants for a moment.

I've been thinking about spacial association for the past few weeks in relation to karate. You learn mentally to measure space in an encounter and you move around them as if they physically exist.

Now in relation to the arm. I think that with time it could literally "feel" to him like a real arm. He will use it, it's dimensions, speed, capability gets measured and understood by the brain. It will get to a point where he can reach down, not looking and pick something up off the floor. Like dropping his pen in class.

The arm also measures pressure, which is awesome! Feeling the hardness and softness adds a lot to what feeling is. He can hold someone's hand or hold a bottle and open it, two things that need very different amounts of pressure. If he masters that, then pretty much all he will lack is texture.

It would feel like a regular hand in a glove at that point.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, considering that there are advances made in that field every day, I am sure the time is not far off before the tactile senses can be incorporated as well.
Brave New World.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Isn't voluntary amputation a textbook definition of harming yourself or others?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dunno if I would see that as self harm, considering the people volunteered to give up parts that didn't work.

Replacing a biological hand that doesn't work after injury with a bionic hand that will have more function seems like a very interesting option.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It'll keep ethicists busy for decades to come, that's for sure.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It'll keep ethicists busy for decades to come, that's for sure.

No, the ethicists will get busy when people start opting to give up viable parts (hands, arms, legs, eyes, etc) for robotic replacements with enhanced capabilities. Some have to be looking at this as the starting point for cyborgs, after all.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, the ethicists will get busy when people start opting to give up viable parts (hands, arms, legs, eyes, etc) for robotic replacements with enhanced capabilities. Some have to be looking at this as the starting point for cyborgs, after all.

I'd do it.

Hook me up with some Eyes with Macro and Telescopic capability, or even a built in Digital camera. Strong resiliant Cybernetic arms that don't grow tired and can handle materials that the skin cannot, (thorny branches, cold or hot items etc) Heck... I could make a list, and yep... I'd be the first person in line if I could do it.\

OKenpo942

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would much rather have a useful robotic limb rather than a useless piece of meat just taking up space. I like the idea of giving those with useless parts the option to possibly improve their life. Seems perfectly ethical to me.

Interesting post Omar. Thanks.

James