Vitor vs Machida

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
The only video I could find. Traditional Karate kick.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
The only video I could find. Traditional Karate kick.

Curious...what in particular makes this kick a "Traditional Karate kick"?

Have this same kick in a few other arts I've studied that isn't any karate style.
Yes, I know Machida has a very strong Shotokan background but has also studied several other martial arts including muay thai which also has a front kick to the jaw though the teep or push kick to the body is used much more often. Silat has a front snap kick, Burmese boxing has a snap kick, as well as many other arts.
So what in particular makes this a "Traditional Karate kick"?

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
You're probably right Danny T. I thought it was from his Karate background. I don't know then.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Curious...what in particular makes this kick a "Traditional Karate kick"?

Have this same kick in a few other arts I've studied that isn't any karate style.
Yes, I know Machida has a very strong Shotokan background but has also studied several other martial arts including muay thai which also has a front kick to the jaw though the teep or push kick to the body is used much more often. Silat has a front snap kick, Burmese boxing has a snap kick, as well as many other arts.
So what in particular makes this a "Traditional Karate kick"?

I think it's mostly due to the fact that Machida's primary striking background is Shotokan Karate. Leg kicks technically aren't strictly a Muay Thai technique, but a lot of Muay Thai guys like throwing them. An armbar isn't only in BJJ, but BJJ guys use them often. I think people are associating the front kick KO to karate because it's in the system he studies, his unique background and the rarity of front kick KOs in the UFC. If a Kung Fu guy did the same they would probably associate it with his background as well.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is a weird kick. A lot more upwards than I thought should be.

But the body kick that machida threw looked exactly like that head kick which makes it a nightmare to guess where it is going to go.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
A kicks a kick at the end of the day doesn't matter what label you give it

chrissyp

Green Belt
Reaction score
From my understanding, it's because the mechanics are that of front kick, fundementaly different then a muay thai teep, and usually associate with karate, and karate being traditionally (no pun intended) and a traditional martial arts

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
From my understanding, it's because the mechanics are that of front kick, fundementaly different then a muay thai teep, and usually associate with karate, and karate being traditionally (no pun intended) and a traditional martial arts
What is the difference in the mechanics between the two?

chrissyp

Green Belt
Reaction score
What is the difference in the mechanics between the two?
Quick answer, teep is mostly used and has the mechanics of a push, where a front kick is predominantly a offensive strike with different mechanics like chamber , teep doesn't

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm too lazy right now, but if you search for the Machida v. Couture fight, he KO's Couture with the double kick from Chinto.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
We all know steven Segal taught the MMA guys the front kick. It's not karate or muay thai. Segal invented it.

Latest Discussions