Vitamins and Supplements?

OP
Jason Striker II

Jason Striker II

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Wow! I want to thank all for the (albeit, occasionally heated) replies. I really didn't know there were such strong feelings on this. For me, I simply view the very limited vitamins I regularly take as a minor insurance if my diet, which I try to be careful about, happens to miss something.

Using the Multi and E as a base, I also add something new to see if I get any improvement - and never really notice much. For example, recently added garlic extract as an alleged anti-toxin.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow! I want to thank all for the (albeit, occasionally heated) replies. I really didn't know there were such strong feelings on this. For me, I simply view the very limited vitamins I regularly take as a minor insurance if my diet, which I try to be careful about, happens to miss something.

Using the Multi and E as a base, I also add something new to see if I get any improvement - and never really notice much. For example, recently added garlic extract as an alleged anti-toxin.
As you know, for there to be a difference, or you notice something, it would take a while to show up with vitamins. Drugs address a symptom, you have a headache, take an aspirin and in a short time it goes away, hence the cover up effect.
Vitamins and Supplements address the root cause, which in most cases would be to straighten the immune system. Just a thought...........

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Just playing Devil's Advocate for a moment here...

How do you know that the pills you take contain what they say they contain?

How do you know that the pills you take do you no harm even if they do contain what you think they contain?

Supposing you do 'notice something', how do you know it's due to some new pill you've added to your regimen?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How do you know your metformin is metformin?

Indeed, I do not personally know if it is. However, since it is a controlled substance, which is obtained from a pharmacy under a doctor's prescription and subject to a number of federal protocols concerning manufacture, distribution channels, and dispensing, I can have a high level of confidence. In addition, I have quarterly blood work done to show my A1C level. If it rises significantly, that would be an indicator that things are not kosher. An untreated diabetic is something that can tested and demonstrated to be true or false.

How do you know your glucosemeter/strips actually work?

Just playing Devil's Advocate here....:lol:

I don't. Consumer-level testing equipment is known to have as much as 20% error built in, which is a rather large fudge-factor IMHO. However, my testing jibes with my quarterly A1C, and together, they give me a high level of assurance. In addition, they have a number of safety factors built in, including automatic expiration of strips exposed but not used after a period of time, and my test kit has a test fluid which verifies the meter accuracy internally like a calibration test when I use it.

And let us also consider for a moment the enormous liability any national drugstore chain or drug maker would suffer if it were determined that they had distributed bogus pharmaceuticals which could put many at risk of disease; compare that to the known issues with vitamins and supplements not being as described or even containing lead or other dangerous substances, but which are much less controlled and which if a person is deprived of them, they do not suffer ill effects?

I think my Metformin supply is rather safe. Nothing is perfect, but I believe the odds are far better for my Metformin than for the average bottle of Vitamin X, Y, or Z from an OTC pharmacy shelf or health food store.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
I think my Metformin supply is rather safe. Nothing is perfect, but I believe the odds are far better for my Metformin than for the average bottle of Vitamin X, Y, or Z from an OTC pharmacy shelf or health food store.

Most of my supplements are far from "the average bottle of Vitamin X, Y, or Z from an OTC pharmacy shelf or health food store," nor is there any profit in some for them being any less than what they purport to be-their manufacture would cost as much for the real thing as "faking it."

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most of my supplements are far from "the average bottle of Vitamin X, Y, or Z from an OTC pharmacy shelf or health food store," nor is there any profit in some for them being any less than what they purport to be-their manufacture would cost as much for the real thing as "faking it."

Where do you suppose the average consumer of supplements and vitamins gets them? You may have managed to secure a safe supply; do you think most people buy their supplements and vitamins in the same way?

And indeed, a quick glance at the FDA's website shows that there have been counterfeit drugs such as Metformin found in the distribution channel. Fortunately, such things seem to be limited to those who purchase their prescription drugs from overseas via mail order and a few no-name single-location pharmacies in Philly and Brooklyn (big surprise, eh?). In the case of the pharmacies, the FDA has ordered recalls and shut the Guidos down.

With regard to the OTC vitamins and supplements, while it may indeed be cheaper to make the actual vitamins than a lethal substitute, that still does not address reports of widely-varying dosages from lot to lot, maker to maker, in contravention of what's claimed on the label, nor does it address issues of oversight such as those that allowed Chinese powdered milk to end up with lethal levels of fertilizer in them, as an example. The studies which have shown common OTC vitamins and supplements to contain lead or simply not have the amounts of whatever claimed inside of them are stated to be at 30%. At best, you're running about a 1/3 chance of getting a fake or the wrong dosage or toxins like lead in your vitamin pills if you buy them at the typical grocery store, pharmacy, or health food store. I'm not sure what argument could be made in favor of continuing to buy such products given that knowledge.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bill does have a point to a degree. Alot of the things sold in supplement shops are 1.low quality 2. bad scientific studies 3. ingredients to low or not even in the item the label says it contains. Bill is correct that it is not regulated. Now with that said it does not mean every supplement you buy is or has the three things I listed but it is up to the consumer to research the material using credible sources such as studies published in Peer reviews or web sites like the Mayo clinic vs the teenager at GNC.

http://www.quackwatch.com/02ConsumerProtection/kessler.html
http://www.quackwatch.com/02ConsumerProtection/dshea.html

So if you are going to take supplements you should be doing quite alot of research on the supplement and the company that sells it which is just my opinion from once being a manger at a vitamin shoppe which I quit due not being allowed to disclose this type of information I am sharing now.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The FDA has been trying to regulate Supplements for a long time, but not for all the right reasons.

Also, there are fly by night vitamins just like anything else. The motto is "consumer beware". Vitamins produce results or people would not be using them.

Bill did point me toward web-MD of which I checked it out. I searched immune system, and immune system enhancement and found guide lines and info on both. Anyone serious about their health should look it up.

My take on this whole thing is, take care of yourself in the first place, eat right, exercise, and lay off the health robbing things in our eating habits that contribute to bad health, (too much sugar and too many simple carbs, white bread and the like.

I know it is easier said then done and things happen, high BP, high cholesterol. When this gets out of control from neglect, then go to the Doctor and take his pills, but, we also need to take control of our own fate and clean up our act.

There are people that are diagnosed with what ever, are over weight, get their meds, get their problem under control and never address the over weight problem which anybody will tell you, is one root cause of many issues. Another consideration is our food because of mass production simply is not the same vitamin rich product it was in earlier times. Trying to feed an ever growing population is daunting, to say the least. Hence, people in their quest for health turn to Vitamins and Supplements as a magic bullet. Health is a life style not a fad, take control yourself, there is a great place to start first.

Latest Discussions