Visualization with relaxation as part of meditation

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
During some guided imagery relaxation and meditation exercises, the woman guiding us used the image of a cloud of our favorite color and to envelope ourselves within this cloud. Another imagery was stepping into a pool of this color without getting wet or changing temperature, just relaxation happening.

These GIMs (guided Imagery Meditations) revealed some interesting things to me, the exact location of tension in my body by way of presenting in my mind as a pastey substance I could imagine scooping or wiping off, which relaxed the area.

Just curious if others who have practiced this form of meditation/relaxation/hypnosis have experienced similar results?

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Heh, funny you should bring this up today as tomorrow I am attending a seminar with Saul Miller, a sport psychologist regarding relaxation techniques using such things as guided imagery and how to implement them during competition.

Let me get back to you tomorrow! :D

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
pretty much a mind-****, if you are into martial arts, better of with meditation techniques that avoid visualizations (what you'd like reality to be) and move towards meditation practice that draws from feeling, present tense (what actually is). this integrates better with martial awareness. otherwise your just trying to live through an illusion.

davemitchel

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
pretty much a mind-****, if you are into martial arts, better of with meditation techniques that avoid visualizations (what you'd like reality to be) and move towards meditation practice that draws from feeling, present tense (what actually is). this integrates better with martial awareness. otherwise your just trying to live through an illusion.

Hi Pete,
I do not fully agree. Visualisation is important in MA. We visualise our opponents in Kata, we visualise how we will deal with combat situations etc.

During some guided imagery relaxation and meditation exercises, the woman guiding us used the image of a cloud of our favorite color and to envelope ourselves within this cloud. Another imagery was stepping into a pool of this color without getting wet or changing temperature, just relaxation happening.

During the meditation, one visualises and relaxes. This is an inner journey. At the end of the meditation, one grounds and centres again. This means that you "snap out of it". So, you are back in the reality zone with both feet on the ground.:)

No harm done.

Peace
Dave

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Any visualization I've tried has been of the practical variety, that is visualizing myself doing perfect technique.

There was a study that was conducted in which three groups were asked to attempt basketball free throws.

After results were tallied, one group practiced free throws, another group visualized practicing free throws, and the third group did neither.

Then they shot free throws again and re-tallied the results.

The group that did visualization improved as much (or even more? I forget... long time since I read about the survey) as the group that actually practiced free throws.

Both the practicing and visualization group did better than the group that did neither.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I use visualisation all the time, as I haven't enough room to practice my patterns at home, I visualise myself doing them, this works nearly as well as actually doing them for me. I've always used it since being a little girl I just didn't know what I was doing until I had it explained.

Nobody

Green Belt
Reaction score
I actually think Shesulsa is right here going into the less real assist one in sensing what is there an that which you sense you can heal, that which you do not sense or do not deal with even emotions usually become what will kill you. This is relating to healing not so much reality of fighting which does require a practical thought. Healing requires more of a understanding about what emotion brought you there to being sick so you need to see from a less realistic look do to emotion playing a hug part in your health. This is what i think was specifically being focused on when meditation like this are brought up. It teaches connecting to the life you live emotionally not the reality you live.

Off topic here: Nice avatar Shesulsa. (excuss me for going off topic)