Visiting Another Dojo

Noah_Legel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hello All,

I recently had the pleasure of spending a week on the Big Island of Hawaii with a group of fellow karateka and our instructor. While in Kona, HI, we visited the dojo of Shiroma Sensei, who teaches a combination of Wado-Ryu and Shorin-Ryu Karate-Do. It was a very exciting experience--he invited us to work out with his students, and under the guidance of our instructors, we compared our basic strikes and blocks, methods of movement, and kata. Each group tried to apply and understand the methods of each others' styles, and we all had a very good time. Afterward, Shiroma Sensei invited us all out for pizza down the street from his dojo, where we took up four tables and sat eating and talking about everything from karate-do to surfing to what on earth is up with poi? Shiroma Sensei insisted on paying for everyone's food and when it came time for us to all part ways, we exchanged contact information, shook hands, and hugged each other, and Shiroma Sensei said that we were all "ohana", or family. It was a wonderful experience to have that sort of a bond between people who have just met, and for us to all be able to share what we have learned, and learn from each other. I was just wondering if anyone else has had any similar experiences?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
that must have been a beautiful experence. It is always a happy feeling when I hear of people in the arts sharing information and brotherhood.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello All,

I recently had the pleasure of spending a week on the Big Island of Hawaii with a group of fellow karateka and our instructor. While in Kona, HI, we visited the dojo of Shiroma Sensei, who teaches a combination of Wado-Ryu and Shorin-Ryu Karate-Do. It was a very exciting experience--he invited us to work out with his students, and under the guidance of our instructors, we compared our basic strikes and blocks, methods of movement, and kata. Each group tried to apply and understand the methods of each others' styles, and we all had a very good time. Afterward, Shiroma Sensei invited us all out for pizza down the street from his dojo, where we took up four tables and sat eating and talking about everything from karate-do to surfing to what on earth is up with poi? Shiroma Sensei insisted on paying for everyone's food and when it came time for us to all part ways, we exchanged contact information, shook hands, and hugged each other, and Shiroma Sensei said that we were all "ohana", or family. It was a wonderful experience to have that sort of a bond between people who have just met, and for us to all be able to share what we have learned, and learn from each other. I was just wondering if anyone else has had any similar experiences?
I think the MartialTalk Meet & Greet was the closest I've come to such an experience. Everyone was very humble and willing to share - it was great. If you haven't ever been, I recommend going.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is really a great experience. Thanks for sharing it!

I've had a few like that I had life long friendships with others from MA. I think it's the best part about it, myself.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have had the honor of training in many dojo during my various tdy (temp duty) trips. The opportunity to share and grow is always rewarding for me. I can only imagine what happens when you get to do that with your whole class! The possibilities are endless!

Topeng

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Every seminar in which our school hosted the instructor has been extremely positive. Everyone ends up breaking bread with one another and by the end, we are all welcome to train at one another's schools. I'm not sure if this is due to our instructor knowing how to filter out "the bad ones" but it has worked out great. Expanding the family and knowing you are welcome in these different places is wonderful.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

Yes, there have been many times when, after a seminar or camp, a group has gone to dinner. Most recently was just last month. A few Arnis Black Belts in the area got together for a small seminar with a gentleman that came down from Chicago. He's one of the head guys in our Arnis org. We worked out for about 3hrs. and went to dinner afterwards.

About a year or two ago, I went to a seminar with Prof. Kimo. After the seminar, I was invited to dinner with him, the host of the seminar and a guy who came down from MA, who is also a member of this forum. :) Prof. Kimos wife was there as well. Just the 5 of us, but it was great! I had the chance to talk with Prof. and learn more about the art he teaches.

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Over the years we've had several dojo in our extended family. The students from each school know they are welcome to visit and cross-train and we've often had open Camps where different styles and schools participate. I can honestly say that some of my longest lasting friendships have come from this type of interaction.

Once you get over the "mine is better than yours" mentality, it's fun and informative to train with other groups.

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
the closest expeirence i had to that was when me, a couple of my fellow MA's and my instructor went to a different city and to a different dojo to perform a demo. it was really fun and the sensei there invited to train inside with them and the other students and it was really fun and everyone was very nice. thats how should be and it was just great.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Sensi Shiroma is retired police officer, an excellant martial artist, and very well "RESPECTED IN KONA".

His school has produce many great "Karate students"!

Glad you folks had a chance to visit us here in KONA, and enjoy the fellowships'

Martial arts should be a share experence, we all can learn from each other, (EGO'S aside).

The number one goal of martial arts training is self-protection of one self if attack by others. (physcial fittness is up there too!)

Please visit our active "Volcano" ....and watch the hot stuff perform..

Aloha (Vog is heavy too)

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello All,

Thats the way it should be. I've met a few that were negative about meeting other Martial Artists', but overall, most of my meetings have been very informative and down to earth and just like this. Thanks for sharing, just the way it should be.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Back in my younger days, I occasionally visited other schools (sometimes Tae Kwon Do, sometimes not) to observe. I have pretty much given this up for a couple of reasons. First, my travel schedule is severely limited. Second, I am invariably disappointed in the quality of the schools I visit.
Lest anyone ask, Tae Kwon Do schools were among the worst offenders, both in terms of technique and manners of the students and instructors.
Please note: this is not a blanket generalization on all schools, just the ones I saw.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It should always be like that but in today world it is hard to find this in some of these so called MA. Glad you had a great experience.