Visit to Kajukenbo School

jurat13

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have been vising a few martial arts school in search of finding a new school since I have relocated. To that avail, I visited a Kajukenbo school this past Wednesday and had a great time. The class was small but the training was pretty intense. I think some of the things that stood out to me the most about the class was the practical techniques, emphasis on hard contact while training, and how personable the Sifus were.

The Sifus emphasized the family atmosphere there, and I certainly felt it. They took the time to explain the rationale behind the techniques we drilled. I was introduced to the first punch defense and a grab defense. They also emphasized developing a "tool belt" to give you the freedom as you advance to respond in a variety of ways. At that moment I couldn't help but visualize how strikes from my Muay Thai background would fit in to the punch and grab defense techniques. The sifus seemed open to me exploring those opportunities.

In summary, I plan to go back this Saturday, and will most likely join. I imagine there will be a steep learning curve for me because I come from a Muay Thai, Boxing, and slight grappling background.

Just thought I would share that experience.

Walter

MikeRitche

White Belt
Reaction score
Awesome, congrats on finding a kaju school. Its a great art, you will love it. You will also find that your previous traing will blend in well with the kaju.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
one of the great things about Kaju is that since it includes techniques from many arts, most people with prior training find it fits them very easily. And it can be practiced hard, soft, and anywhere in between

Todd Reiner

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I imagine there will be a steep learning curve for me because I come from a Muay Thai, Boxing, and slight grappling background.
Walter

I think you will find your previous experience will accelerate your learning Kaju and the school you described sums Kaju up very well. Welcome to the family brother.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good for you! Glad you found a kaju school. I will have to ditto what everyone has said. Welcome to the "Ohana", you'll never walk alone!

Latest Discussions