Video me frustrated sparring

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The Fu Jow Pai style is an excellent TMA style... If one can shoulder the extremely high demands true to CMA standards.... it's far, far, far above any of the karate's.... IMO.
\
If one can't get out of the box in understanding, let alone application with the 'simplistic' traditional karate 1-steps.... how does one expect to become truly proficient in the ultra-intense & complicated Fu Jow Pai? That's my closing CMA-Sparring question:bookworm::bookworm::bookworm:>
\
Good luck with that....

Last edited:
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
HERE'S MY SUMMARY, LOOKING @ WHAT THE Fu Jow Pai Master does WELLl...

\
1. Despite the kickboxing technique, his physical movments are quick, accurate and employ his whole body...
\
2. He utilizes traditional stances & transitions smoothly and well....
\
3. He (unlike you) engages and advances on his opponent right off the bat... and continuously attacks...
\
4. He actually has some striking defense, though the exaggerated head & body contortions aren't TMA standards...
\
5. His combos (he uses combos) have tactical integrity...
\
6. He doesn't rely on creating large distances and all that hyper moving all over footwork and random herky jerky stuff we see in boxing, MMA or sport karate.... He shows that competent traditional mobility from stances is superior in effective exchanges...
\
7. He doesn't do the typical sport karate stand & wait & duel like tactic of trying to 'time' the perfect speed shot hence flying in over-committed.... he can fight with versatility.
\
8. His movements are relaxed, yet explode fast & smooth.... conveying serious potential power absent a lot of the karate tense muscular action or boxing or Muay Thai heavy body mechanics... I would rate his striking of dynamic quality... that is when striking really works....
\
NOT GARBAGE @ ALL, IN MY BOOK... Jai Harman & his Muay Thai-Kickboxing-"WC" against this.. "rots of ruck..."
\
EDIT: He's better than me @ sparring (TMA period)....:angelic::angelic::angelic::angelic::angelic:
\
EDIT #9: Like me, he is unfazed by feints.... or should I say I'm like him; I'm not fazed by feints... takes excellent mental discipline...

9: Like me, he is unfazed by feints.... or should I say I'm like him; I'm not fazed by feints... takes excellent mental discipline
He falls for the feint at 0:20 from a kick. at 0:43 from kick

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
9: Like me, he is unfazed by feints.... or should I say I'm like him; I'm not fazed by feints... takes excellent mental discipline
\
I don't see it. @TIME 0:43, what I don't like is his more passive guard yet I have seen this taught by CMA instructor against Round house kick...
\
I do see him make that head movement & body lean / contortion... does a kind of covering guard....that is not what I do as matter of course.... My point is that he does not over-react (and I'll post below on what i mean).... he stands his ground and then goes on the offensive quite nicely...
\
Again, the kickboxing video I posted shows karate practitioners doing this for friendly, sporting convention when sparring.... again, not what i advocate....
\
@TIME 0:20, He again uses a cover up guard against a kick which thuds into him... /???

Last edited:

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
\
Here's a / the Jai Harman YT vid of the kickboxing. I read up on some of the commentary about Jai. He aspires to the MMA model, not the UFC commercialized version, the mulit-cross-training version. So that is where his background as a WC stylist comes from... not a dedicatedCMA artist....
\
The boxer nails him at the end with a 'liver' shot, or maybe a solar plexis hit... when he has Jai backed into the corner.... As the comment indicated, Jai is fighting round robin, this is #3 -- against a fresh opponent.
\
Very evident in this competition sparring video, both opponents are slack on defense.... backing away, covering up the face to stop attacks....
\
Jai appears to me to be in very good shape and has a good physique & is well trained... not so true of his earlier opponents. Here, the boxer's slate of abilities evens the score.....
\
Bottom line: Fu Jow Pai Master takes on the opponent rather than rely on the sport-fighting evasion tactics.... as well as other qualities....

Last edited:

Latest Discussions