Video clip survey: How to define Martial Arts and Combat Sports?

OP
Martin Meyer

Martin Meyer

White Belt
Reaction score
Spoiler Alert: Please read further only in case you haven't participated in the study yet (or you are absolutely sure you never will)

@skribs I will facilitate a synopsis of the videos, maybe this weekend, and put it on youtube. I think we can discuss specific videos here if you like to.
@skyeisonfire The grey area is interesting because it shows how fragile our definition of martial arts is :)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Spoiler Alert: Please read further only in case you haven't participated in the study yet (or you are absolutely sure you never will)

@skribs I will facilitate a synopsis of the videos, maybe this weekend, and put it on youtube. I think we can discuss specific videos here if you like to.
@skyeisonfire The grey area is interesting because it shows how fragile our definition of martial arts is :)
What might be a good idea is to set it up as a different thread, and have in the title and first post to only read further if you've completed the study.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
@hoshin1600 You're absolutey right, sir. It was very difficult to choose appropiate clips, which are short, informatory but not too much implicatory. Also, the number of clips has to be not too long to scare away participants.
@dvcochran Thank you, sir!
@Danny T The movie clips from Crouching Tiger, Last Samurai and Jackie Chan are difficult, yes. Several people seem to rate this clips solely based on the fact that these are from movies.
that may be a problem with how you have phrased the question, which was" do the clips show a martial art" the answer then to the movie clips is automatically no, if the question was do the clips depict a martial art, then the answer wouldd possibly be yes

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Done and done.

There were a couple head scratchers that got a 'somewhat agree'(the guy wrestling the bear for instance) but most were pretty cut and dried.

Movement based on combat (even tenuously)= martial art. This includes choreography.

Movement based on combat being used in a regulated bout= combat sport.

OP
Martin Meyer

Martin Meyer

White Belt
Reaction score
@kempodisciple Yeah, you are right, but as the warning is at the top of the second thread page, I think this works as well.
@jobo I agree, this is really a flaw. I have changed the wording in the way you suggested.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
@Martial D How about tae bo, hockey, taiji bailong ...?

Tae bo is just karate in the air. Martial art, not combat sport.

Hockey is a sport where the goal is to get the puck in the net. Any violence that happens is tertiary.it is neither.

Taiji is a martial art with real application. It is a martial art. It could be a combat sport, but none exist for it afaik. None of the videos showed it being used that way. Ma yes cs no

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Done and done.

There were a couple head scratchers that got a 'somewhat agree'(the guy wrestling the bear for instance) but most were pretty cut and dried.

Movement based on combat (even tenuously)= martial art. This includes choreography.

Movement based on combat being used in a regulated bout= combat sport.
That's pretty close to how I see them, though I was rating more on a continuum.

D

Deleted member 34973

First was a video game, second was a Jackie Chan movie...third, never made it because I lost interest.

D

Deleted member 34973

Most were not. I think they're randomized, you got unlucky with the first few.

I think those two were enough, it gave me an idea of where the rest were headed. No harm though, I do not have much patience for surveys.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think those two were enough, it gave me an idea of where the rest were headed. No harm though, I do not have much patience for surveys.

Similar problem. I just don't take surveys that seriously, especially when they can be answered so many different ways. So I finished it, but by the time I got to the end, I was not answering with any kind of consistency. Is American football a martial art? No. Is it a martial sport. Maybe. Without precisely defining your terms, you could put almost any answer down.

I remember some forty-some years ago, a distinguished professor of anthropology at my undergraduate college (who had been a varsity tight end at BYU in his youth) pointing out that team sports like rugby and football were essentially a form ritualized warfare and had analogues in similar forms of ritualized group combat in societies worldwide throughout history. Such controlled and "socialized" combat basically serves as a positive, or at least less destructive, way for people to work out tribal or clan rivalries and so forth.

Well, if football and hockey can be considered martial sports, then the whole discussion becomes so vague that basically I ended up just put down whatever I felt like at the moment.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I remember some forty-some years ago, a distinguished professor of anthropology at my undergraduate college (who had been a varsity tight end at BYU in his youth) pointing out that team sports like rugby and football were essentially a form ritualized warfare and had analogues in similar forms of ritualized group combat in societies worldwide throughout history. Such controlled and "socialized" combat basically serves as a positive, or at least less destructive, way for people to work out tribal or clan rivalries and so forth.
Lacrosse definitely falls into that category, at least regarding its historical origins.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
However, having derived from combat today it is simply a sport even though one could use the lacrosse stick as a blunt object weapon.

And conversely, you can use Lacrosse helmets to spar with sticks ...when we first tried stick sparring in escrima we cobbled together whatever we could find for protective gear.

Latest Discussions