video clip of assault

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Big boy goin away for awhile. Especially since he violated his probation. Can you say, "Come here big boy"? lol

A

Aaron Little

OK this is a different angle on the Pizza Beat Down video. This one shows what the news edited out and has some original audio with it. I have to wonder why it was edited like it was. It looks like the victim was all fine on tangling with the woman. Too bad he never noticed what was standing behind her. It is real interesting how his posturing changes when the boyfriend steps up.

http://media2.big-boys.com/officebrawl.wmv

If the link does not work then go here

http://www.big-boys.com/articles/officebrawl.html

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aaron Little said:
OK this is a different angle on the Pizza Beat Down video. This one shows what the news edited out and has some original audio with it. I have to wonder why it was edited like it was. It looks like the victim was all fine on tangling with the woman. Too bad he never noticed what was standing behind her. It is real interesting how his posturing changes when the boyfriend steps up.

http://media2.big-boys.com/officebrawl.wmv

If the link does not work then go here

http://www.big-boys.com/articles/officebrawl.html

Thanks for posting this Aaron!!! :asian: WOW, it certianly goes to show the importance to getting both sides of the story before we can accurately form an opinion of what happened. The papers are infamous for editing key things, but of course, who wants to buy a boring paper, right? Unfortunately, due to this editing, as I said, key things are often left out.

Its apparent that the victim had no problems getting in the face of this woman. Unfortunately, he lost that motivation when the BF came in, as he was too busy looking at his phone, to see that punch coming. Had he kept that same attitude, things may have been different.

Mike

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Granted, the victim wimped out but the final equation is that he was still assualted. The woman caused the problem and actually also assualted him. Even though he opened his mouth, I personally would most likely have done the same thing - I'm tired of all these people just constantly stepping on and over everybody, because they have gotten away with it for so long it has become second nature to them. As pointed out, if he would have kept that same attitude with the guy, perhaps things may have been different, although it's doubtful. In our society today, it's almost like going back in time to the old west. Lots of guns and lots of bad people looking for a mark. The object lesson here is if you open your mouth, be prepared to back it up or just shut up and be stepped on!

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There's an old saying in the military, "Is this the hill you want to die on?" One must ask themselves that question before provoking a situation that could escalate into a fight. One never knows what could happen. Not to say that one should allow the woman to cut in line with impunity, but politeness can go a long way. However, once the fight is one, it's on. Time to throw out the "what should I have done?" portion and get to kicking tail.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Brad and Danjo brought up some good points. We certainly need to think before we speak, but if we do speak, we had best be prepared to deal with the outcome.

We also need to keep in mind that either one of these people (the attackers) could have had a weapon, which could have lead to a much more serious situation.

Mike

K

KenpoNoChikara

MJS said:
Brad and Danjo brought up some good points. We certainly need to think before we speak, but if we do speak, we had best be prepared to deal with the outcome.

We also need to keep in mind that either one of these people (the attackers) could have had a weapon, which could have lead to a much more serious situation.

Mike
Too True. Not suprised about the way that news station edited the tape...Can't belive everything you hear or see, I guess.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here's another thought to consider. Ask yourself the next time you go to the dojo, studio, dojang, kwoon, etc. "Is what I'm learning here making me able to deal with what I saw on that clip?"

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Danjo said:
Here's another thought to consider. Ask yourself the next time you go to the dojo, studio, dojang, kwoon, etc. "Is what I'm learning here making me able to deal with what I saw on that clip?"
HOOAA!!!
Thats the question right there!
Exxellent point!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Danjo said:

I second that..Excellent point!!! This is one of the reasons, me and many others are always talking about aliveness and making sure that we realize the huge importance of keeping our training as real as we can. Sure, we can look at this clip and say that the guy is out of shape, maybe moved a little slower, etc. but the fact remains that he was a very large man, who was bent on causing the victim some serious harm.

Mike

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That is a good point. The answer to that is yes!

P

PragmaticMartialArtist

Self defense is a personal issue. What I mean is, only you are responsible for defending yourself physically and legally. In the United States there is no duty for the non-law enforcement citizen to come to anyone's rescue. In fact, the act of physically helping can lead to your arrest or a civil suit if your perception of the situation is wrong. I am not advocating doing nothing. For the crowd in the clip, all that may been needed was verbal aggression. Watch the nature channel and see how chimpanzees, or baboons confront a leopard. The animals scream, throw their arms up. What you don't see are the animals do is trying to knock the leopard out or choke out the leopard.

The situation is sad because the incident reflects we are a society of individuals unwilling to help by simply saying "No", "Stop". Yes, the owner said something, but think how much more powerful the dynamics of the situation would have been if everyone started to yell stop.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Danjo said:
Yeppers, definitely agree with the others. Honestly speaking, I just don't know for myself. I see someone who'd be able to swallow me whole by oiling me down and pinning back my ears... Man, I think I'd probably would've found another way outta that situation before it got out of hand.

The additional clip definitely shows the "victim" didn't help matters by getting back into the woman's face. There are people who just-don't-care. Obviously the big boy and the woman were evident of the type.

Sheesh
Like I said I'd hate to be their kid.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MACaver said:
Yeppers, definitely agree with the others. Honestly speaking, I just don't know for myself. I see someone who'd be able to swallow me whole by oiling me down and pinning back my ears... Man, I think I'd probably would've found another way outta that situation before it got out of hand.

The additional clip definitely shows the "victim" didn't help matters by getting back into the woman's face. There are people who just-don't-care. Obviously the big boy and the woman were evident of the type.

Sheesh
Like I said I'd hate to be their kid.
Thanks for all of the kind words and rep points everyone! I guess this goes to show that one thing that could be taught is how to de-escalate a situation with dignity. Talking someone down is a good skill to have, and should be taught along with how to defeat someone physically if needed. We as teachers have to do that all of the time. There are programs that help with this, but I'll have to see if I can find out what they are. Tone and hand position are part of it from what I have read. Keeping the hands low but in front of you etc. If anyone else has a good idea on this, please pitch in here.

Thunderbolt

Orange Belt
Reaction score
we live in a very violence world and people always think that bigger means better. Of course, our justice system is really bad. If our justice system is good, we don't have any bad people running around in our neighborhood.

it's really shock to see some people stand there and watch another beat a person. I can't believe it either.

during my course of life, i learn 2 things.

1- If i think that i have more chances of winning, i'm in. If the odd of me loosing is more than winning, i'll be out.

2- I don't let *bad* people come close to me. If they are close to me, I'll attack them with everything i get. Think about it? when you let some guy big such as this black dude comes close to you, you are finished.

this white dude should say something to black lady when she was being a *****. If she didn't back up, i'll finish her up and her boyfriend all together.

when i see a cop, i'll explain the situation later.

i believe in self-defense and i should be able to defend myself under any circumtance when my safety is no longer guaranteed.

it doesn't matter if a bad guy attacks me first or NOT. When she and her boyfriend come back, i know that i'm on the move. Of course, when they are back, they have bad intention.

if they aren't, they won't be back. Since they have bad intention, i'll not let the situation get out of control.

bottom line, who is better in a position to determine when i'm in danger besides me.?

i won't let the judge or cop or anybody else decide for me. I'll take it in my own hand.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thunderbolt said:
we live in a very violence world and people always think that bigger means better. Of course, our justice system is really bad. If our justice system is good, we don't have any bad people running around in our neighborhood.

it's really shock to see some people stand there and watch another beat a person. I can't believe it either.

during my course of life, i learn 2 things.

1- If i think that i have more chances of winning, i'm in. If the odd of me loosing is more than winning, i'll be out.

2- I don't let *bad* people come close to me. If they are close to me, I'll attack them with everything i get. Think about it? when you let some guy big such as this black dude comes close to you, you are finished.

this white dude should say something to black lady when she was being a *****. If she didn't back up, i'll finish her up and her boyfriend all together.

when i see a cop, i'll explain the situation later.

i believe in self-defense and i should be able to defend myself under any circumtance when my safety is no longer guaranteed.

it doesn't matter if a bad guy attacks me first or NOT. When she and her boyfriend come back, i know that i'm on the move. Of course, when they are back, they have bad intention.

if they aren't, they won't be back. Since they have bad intention, i'll not let the situation get out of control.

bottom line, who is better in a position to determine when i'm in danger besides me.?

i won't let the judge or cop or anybody else decide for me. I'll take it in my own hand.
I can tell you as a police officer, that we in America don't have a "Justice System", we have a "Legal System". If anyone thinks that's the same thing, i've got a bridge to sell you. There is nothing "Just" about our system, but there is plenty "Legal" about it.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Danjo said:
Tone and hand position are part of it from what I have read. Keeping the hands low but in front of you etc. If anyone else has a good idea on this, please pitch in here.
Just to add to that we discuss in our school the idea of stepping into a guard so your body is in position for a confrontation, but as you suggest - with your hands low so you are ready but not threatening with fists up.

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My opinion;

It is easy for all of us to sit by our computers playing "shoulda, woulda, coulda", but we weren't there.
That said, however, I wouldn't have stood around watching the guy get beaten within an inch of his life, even if he deserved it for playing the tough guy in front of the woman, and the frightened chld in front of the big ugly guy.
A lot of things come to my mind when watching the second clip, like "What if I were the white guy?", "What if someone squared up to my girlfriend like that?", "What if I were one of the by-standers?", or "What if I was the restaurant owner?"
I have seen big ugly guys throwing their weight around, and they aren't always in the wrong, I have also seen small mouthy guys going ballistic, but that doesn't necessarily make them right either.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
FearlessFreep-One thing to keep in mind in the "don't want to get involved" attitude is that it happened very quickly by a very anger individual. Most people probably didn't have time to think of a good reaction as it's not something most people face every day. Most people are also not trained for such situations so they really don't know *how* to respond.

Good point-Many of times I have seen this. The brain is either used to seeing this, or "freeze". I myself, witnessed and not done anything as a bystander. Later to think; "Why didn't I do something". Only to answer myself in many scenarios, to which that guy may have had a gun. Or came back later with one. Was getting invlolved, hurt, or killed, worth it in this case?

Kenpotex-In this situation, he should have just kept his mouth shut. Yeah, I don't like it when people cut in line or do something stupid in traffic, or...well you get the idea. At the same time, as this incident illustrates, there are too many friggin psychos running around who will kill (or attempt to kill) you for nothing. It's safer just to swallow your pride and let it go.
Been there, done this. People like the attacker were always evident in my lifestyle and areas of work and proximity. One learns to "swallow" a lot in order to survive. A friend of my brother did the same thing in a Chukee-E Chhese. What a specticle in a place for children.

SIMONCURRAN- It is easy for all of us to sit by our computers playing "shoulda, woulda, coulda", but we weren't there.
The victim, could have had more awareness. After all, if he had told a unsavory woman something, did he think that she was going to let it go? Many of times I fled a situation that I thought may result into something. And keeping my machoism, made a excuss to leave.

I was in a "Cutting the Line" scenario. The "Rude Lane Changing" scenario. the "Taking My Parking Spot" scenario. The "Bright Lights on My Rear" scenario. The "Mardi Gras Bead" scenario. The "Girlfriend Flirting to get the Boyfriend Jealous" scenario. And far too many more to list.

If the pizza establishment was in a "bad area", the pizza owner should have a uniformed police officer present on detail.

Knowing that the area was like that, I wouldn't have went there to get my pizza in the first place.

This video is not at all astonishing to me. I have seen many situations in real life happen that way and in some cases, became worse. I have seen people get shot, stabbed, ran-over", etc., to know that avoidance is the key.

Does this mean to live a life in paranoial state? No. But one must exercise caution when in such areas.

If one is walking in the woods and all of the caution signs are there, should such a walk be done or done hap-hazardly?

Latest Discussions