Vertical Outward vs. Extended Outward Blocks

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
celtic_crippler said:
Always. =)

I take it you feel that both blocks are capable of positioning the attacker in the same way or at the same angle? What about the aspect of follow ups? Would not the position of your palm and angle used dictate, or at least influence what follow ups would be more logical to use?
I think sir this conversation would better serve you by returning to dialog that would find common ground in the execution of basics first, before venturing into your ideas and many different areas of the mine field of effective applications.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
Have you tried a right vertical outward block against a left punch? If so how did it work for you?

celtic_crippler said:
The extended outward block tends to turn the attacker more due to the "extended" angle.

...therefore upon executing an outward block I observed it did not/or not as much.

Doc said:
I think sir this conversation would better serve you by returning to dialog that would find common ground in the execution of basics first, before venturing into your ideas and many different areas of the mine field of effective applications.

Sure. When I execute an extended outward block I tend to apply more torque as I tend to rotate my torso upon execution more so than when I execute the outward block. After observing the effects of this on various students/uke's it seemed to me the that they tended to turn away more when I executed the extended outward than when I executed the outward. Do you believe I am executing the extended outward block improperly or do you believe I should also be applying as much tourqe to the vertical outward block as is applied when executing the extended outward block?

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
celtic_crippler said:
Do you believe I am executing the extended outward block improperly ...
Very much so.
do you believe I should also be applying as much tourqe to the vertical outward block as is applied when executing the extended outward block?
Neither. The vertical outward block when executed correctly provides the torque for the extended outward block. At the time the extended outward block is executed, there is absolutely no torque involved. Anything else is contrary to proper body mechanics, anatomicl alignment, and multiple healthy joint longevity.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
I see...at least somewhat I think. I've been considering what you're saying and looking at how I've been executing the two. I think I may have been exagerating my movements and seeing this as a result. If I shorten my movements;try to be more effecient and not "reach" I see no real difference in the amount of torque. I'll keep this in mind when practicing the blocking sets and see what happens. =)

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Doc said:
Very much so.

Neither. The vertical outward block when executed correctly provides the torque for the extended outward block. At the time the extended outward block is executed, there is absolutely no torque involved. Anything else is contrary to proper body mechanics, anatomicl alignment, and multiple healthy joint longevity.
I concur with this, but I highlight the counter-rotation is very important to me for the relaxed power I look for.

The "slap check" has been described by one of Doc's student's as a "cap", which to me means it provides resistance, allows you to close a circuit that is open, and prevents overxtension that can damage the rotator cuff. I am also playing with the idea of the inward-vertical outward and inward-outward extended blocks making certain that the inward action "slap-checks" as the outward portion of the block makes contact. This requires only a slight orbital shift in transition, and I feel a difference.

Thanks Doc,
-Michael