Vent Vent Vent

N

Nate_Hoopes

So hollywood video is trying to charge me $150 for 2 DVD's I'll admit i cant find the DVD's and when i discovered this i called them and offered $60 for the 2 DVD's i figure i was being reasonable, the manager told me this wasnt acceptable, So i said ok Fine what am I supposed to do now, she told me to turn in the movies. I'm like "Lady i told you i lost them so now im trying to fix this whle thing", she said there was nothing she could do till i turned in the movies. So this morning i notice they billed my ATM/Credit Card thing $150, Unacceptable, I'm disputing the chagre as it is an unautorized charge, and am going to be filing a complaint to the hollywood video corporate offices, and the better buisness bureau.

Mother........ Lots and lots of cussing

:soapbox:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When movies are first released on video they charge around $70 for copies of them as they know the video rental places will pay that much for them; later they release them to the general public for around $20. So, they probably paid about what they're charging you. Whether they can later get them more cheaply or if they must still pay the higher fee because they use them for rental purposes, not home display only, I don't know. It may be a fair reflection of their costs--it certainly is in the ballpark of their initial investment. Sort of like bars having to buy beer through distributors at high prices rather than at the store at much better prices as that's how they're taxed.

OP
N

Nate_Hoopes

If they say it and prove it, ok no problem, they told me basically that i had no choice but to return the movies, and would not help me further, at the time it would not have been a problem to pay the $150 but them just charging me flat out with no authorization is simply unacceptable. That $150 although not required for me to make all my bills my savings are not at a comfortable level, I recently paid out alot of money for a down payment on a car, and insurance deposit, so this brings my savings down $150 like i said right now im ok, but if something else happens it could really mess me up.

:soapbox:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Problem you might face is in the membership agreements fine print, you may have authorized them to charge your card. If thats the case, AFAIK, youre stuck. I'd ask them if you -replaced- the videos if they would refund your money (minus late fees). Depending on the DVD, ya might be able to hit Walmart and get em for $10 each.

Worth a shot. Good luck.

OP
N

Nate_Hoopes

Luckily for me it hit a checking accoun that at the time didnt have much money in it, so i actually took the checking account balance there to a negative, it didnt touch the savings account, I told my dad about it and wired all the money from my savings account to his, zeroing the account, I tunred off my direct deposit, so technically now I've only lost $25 my bank only paid the balance because the direct deposit covers overdraft, so I imagine that once my direct deposit dosent go through and i tell them its not going to go through theyll take that money back, or not i dont really care, Im willing to replace the DVD's and maybe tack on $15 or $20 per DVD but im not going to pay $150 not when theyre going about it like this. Im a reasonable guy, I know i owe money, but i also know when im being screwed with, and i am being screwed with.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All they have to do is forward it to a collection agency and effectively screw your credit rating. Somehow, get it resolved before that happens.

Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On a slightly similar note, I got my first DVD from Netflix today, 4 days early. I can return it whenever the hell I want, and they provide a paid shipper.

If you rent a lot of movies, for $20/month, with up to three DVD's at a time, you can't go wrong, especially since the only penalty for not turning a movie back in is you can't get anymore until you do so. Kind of tricky getting your rental list set up, but once you get the hang of it, it's a snap.

Cthulhu

Latest Discussions