Venomstrike here

V

Venomstrike

Hey everyone, I just got into the world of martial arts and I am very excited. I am a student in the martial art of Kenpo, but the school is also going to teach me some Jujitzu, Kickboxing / Thai Boxing, Japanese Shootfighting, and Aikido Weapon Defenses.

If you have any tips for a grasshopper like me please feel free to post them.

:asian:

OP
O

Oak Bo

Hi Venom, welcome aboard! :cheers:

OP
V

Venomstrike

Thanks for the welcomes / tips!

I've been going over the basics at home every single day since my first class. I now also stretch regularly and have weight training sessions a few times a week.

I am still confused as to when I would use the Fighting Horse stance as opposed to other fighting stances. Is it true that the Fighting Horse stance is only for training purposes?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Venomstrike,
Welcome to Martial Talk. I would focus on controling the distance while sparring because,"He who controls the distance, controls the fight.". I would also have you make a mental note to always bend your knees, and keep your posture. Other than that I would suggest you pat your self on the back for your wise choice of recreation.
Sean Wold :ultracool

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome, Venomstrike. Sounds like you have a good combination of integrated martial training started there.

I agree with the QOP - hammer the basics. When you think you've perfected something - you haven't. Go back and do it again.

Remember that a really good student can learn something from anybody.

Have a great time here on MT!

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Good to have you aboard, Venomstrike. Always good to see another Kenpo practitioner here on MT.

Since the others have given you excellent advice on basics, I won't add much other than to mention that when something is going wrong, it usually traces back to some kind of weakness in one or more of the basics.

Please don't make the mistake of thinking of the Fighting Horse as being only good for training purposes. Rather than complicate things here with such things as "all stances are transitional" and such, I'd just advise that you listen to your instructor, practice as much as you can while still maintaining a life, and practice more of the basics (yes, I know I said that already :) ). Things will come in time, and your willingness to ask questions will serve you well in the tasks to come.
Good luck, and keep us updated.

OP
V

Venomstrike

Thanks again for the very wise advice everyone! I will definately keep you all updated on my progress in the martial art of Kenpo.

As shown on the main webpage:

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
-- Confucius

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome Venomstrike. I'm not in Kenpo but basics are basics in every discipline. Put a penny of effort in, get a penny's worth out. Practice, practice practice. Go when you don't feel like it, you will when regretfully the class has to end. And remember its a way of life, and your are slowly stepping on the stones of the path. Enjoy the forum too. :D TW

OP
V

Vadim

Hi Venomstrike! Maintain that positive attitude towards your training and enjoy every step of the journey.

-Vadim

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Venomstrike said:
Hey everyone, I just got into the world of martial arts and I am very excited. I am a student in the martial art of Kenpo, but the school is also going to teach me some Jujitzu, Kickboxing / Thai Boxing, Japanese Shootfighting, and Aikido Weapon Defenses.

If you have any tips for a grasshopper like me please feel free to post them.

Best of luck to you! The hardest part is not to quit,especially when the training gets harder, in life it is easy to quit anything....to do what is right for you...don't give up! or you will find you will give-up things in life easily.

Anyone one can quit....it is the looking back,you will find the truth of you life! Aloha from Hawaii!

Latest Discussions