Vee Jiu Jitsu

Brian Johns

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, does anyone here practice any of the Vee (Professor Florendo Visitacion otherwise known as Professor Vee) JJ systems/styles ? Just curious.

:D

OP
Brian Johns

Brian Johns

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Just bringing this back up to the top. Anyone here practice the Vee systems of martial arts or one of its offshoots ?

Sincerely,
Brian Johns

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by WhoopAss
Just bringing this back up to the top. Anyone here practice the Vee systems of martial arts or one of its offshoots ?

Sincerely,
Brian Johns

I've praticed with a guy called Jonathan Stewart. He apparently stopped doing VeeJitsu and started his own style.

I dont know how much VeeJitsu Jonathan used, but he had some good things in his style, but to much flashy things.

/Yari

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
This discussion has moved here.

Link didn't work for me; got the "You have hit this page because the one you are seeking is either no longer online, or has been moved.
To access out Forums please click here
"

And then I have to log in(I automatically log in), as I've become a visitor.

/Yari

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for letting us know. We'll look into this. Certainly, you shouldn't have to log back in! This just happened to me also.

-Arnisador
-MT Admin-

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Theres a hiccup in the error handler. It sometimes (ok, mostly) loses the session cookie for some reason.

This was caused by a broken link. I edited the 2 posts above to fix that. Please let me know when you find broken links, so we can fix em.

Thanks!

Bob
:asian:

Zujitsuka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, does anyone here practice any of the Vee (Professor Florendo Visitacion otherwise known as Professor Vee) JJ systems/styles ? Just curious.

:D

I train in an eclectic martial art called Zujitsu which is a indirect decendent of Vee Arnis Jitsu.

Do you train in Vee Arnis Jitsu?

OP
Brian Johns

Brian Johns

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I train in an eclectic martial art called Zujitsu which is a indirect decendent of Vee Arnis Jitsu.

Do you train in Vee Arnis Jitsu?

Well, no, I do not train in "Vee Arnis Jitsu." However, I do come from the Vee Ju Jitsu 1965 lineage. There's VJJ '55, VJJ '65, VJJ '75 and Vee Arnis Jitsu. There are other Vee systems as well but those are the main ones. My lineage is through Professor Robert Cooper of Brooklyn.

I do want to say that I've been training extensively in Modern Arnis in the last few years and it's a great compliment to my background.

So, what is Zujitsu ?

Take care,
Brian Johns
Columbus, Ohio

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My lineage is through Professor Robert Cooper of Brooklyn.

I
Take care,
Brian Johns
Columbus, Ohio

Have you ever run into Jonathan Stewart? He had his Dojo in Brooklyn, in some kind of fitness center. This was back in 85' (I think). I visited him then.

/Yari

OP
Brian Johns

Brian Johns

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Have you ever run into Jonathan Stewart? He had his Dojo in Brooklyn, in some kind of fitness center. This was back in 85' (I think). I visited him then.

No, I have not run into Jonathan Stewart. I'm sorry to say that I am not familiar with him. Do you know who he trained under ? More specifically, do you know who his instructors were ? Just curious.

Take care,
Brian Johns
Columbus, Ohio

OP
Brian Johns

Brian Johns

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
What is Zujitsu?

http://www.zujitsu.com/whatis.html

Who is Soke Chaka Zulu?

http://www.zujitsu.com/zuluBio.html

Peace & blessings,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.tyroneturner.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tyrone,

Thanks for referring to the website. I see that Soke Chaka Zulu trained in, among other systems, Sanuces Ryu, which was founded by Moses Powell, Professor Vee's most famous student.

Interestingly, I ran into Osei Jones here in Columbus Ohio a couple of months ago. He was here for the annual Arnold Classic. The martial arts portion is fast becoming one of the largest martial arts gathering in the country. Anyway, I saw him practicing and asked to talk to him. As he walked over to me, I saw the Sanuces Ryu patch. Right away, I knew that he was practicing a variant of Vee JJ. We had a nice conversation. Very impressive martial artist as well as an impressive person. He gave me his web site address.....www.sanuceslives.com

Take care,
Brian Johns
Columbus, Ohio

Zujitsuka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yeah Brian, the Vee JJ (and its variants) crowd is a quality bunch of individuals. They are well respected here in NYC. I don't know if you already have it, but here is the website for the main school in NYC:

http://www.veearnisjitsu.com.

Peace & blessings,

OP
Brian Johns

Brian Johns

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Tyrone,

The Vee Arnis Jitsu website is very cool. It does appear that the vast majority of the Vee practitioners (of the various variants) are in the NYC area. Fortunately I was lucky to train under a very good practitioner when I was in college. He and his father have been in the Vee arts since the late 1960's.

I've taught privately here in Columbus. However, I've trained in other arts...........I've trained with Remy Presas and have been involved in Modern Arnis for the last few years.....a very good compliment to my background.

Take care,
Brian

OP
Brian Johns

Brian Johns

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Moromoro,

As I said in two previous posts in this thread, I do not practice "Vee Arnis Jitsu." I do practice Vee Jiu Jitsu, specifically the '65 lineage. I'm a 6th degree in that art. As for Modern Arnis, I'm a first degree and will be testing for second degree this summer.

Brian

moromoro

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
brisbane australia, zamboanga philippines, sorsogo
thanks whoopass

so your a first degree modern arnis,

do you teach vee jui jutsu who is the GM of that art?, and how much emphasis does Vjj have on garote compared to empty hands... is it primarily an empty hands art as the name suggest...
how would you compare the garote work of VJJ to other FMA i.e the modern arnis you are studying....

OP
Brian Johns

Brian Johns

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
so your a first degree modern arnis,

do you teach vee jui jutsu who is the GM of that art?, and how much emphasis does Vjj have on garote compared to empty hands... is it primarily an empty hands art as the name suggest...
how would you compare the garot

Terry,

As for Vee Jiu Jutsu, it was founded by GM Florendo Visitacion, a Filipino who moved to the US prior to WWII. There's a chapter on Professor Vee in Mark Wiley's book (I think that it's "Filipino Martial Culture") He was born in the Phillipines and then later moved to the US in his teens.

The version of VJJ that I come from is basically entirely empty handed. Professor Vee later developed Vee Arnis Jitsu as a result of life long study. I have not practiced this particular Vee art. The garrote is not used or taught in the system that I'm in. I gather you like using the garrotte.

Professor Vee encouraged me to pursue the study of Arnis. He did not recommend any particular style of Arnis. I then got into Modern Arnis. As it turns out, Professor Presas and Professor Vee were good friends.

Take care,
Brian

Latest Discussions