Vasectomy?

jonah2

Green Belt
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
:asian:

Wow...

I am going in for the consult on sept. 22nd. Very relevant thread!
Same with me - went to the quack last week for the first consultation. He referred me to another hospital where I can have it done on my lunch break. He said it will all be done in the next three months. My brother in law (also into his MA) had it done a couple years ago (under general) and he was on his feet again and training immediately, but not fully for about two weeks I think.

Good luck to every body having one.

ps - my mother in law offered to do it for free with two steralized house bricks, but I declined.

Jonah

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Nalia said:
FearlessFreep,

Make sure you go over all the risks with your urologist. Some urologists believe that there is an increased risk of forming prostate or testicular cancer after a vasectomy especially if there is a predisposition in the family.

Nalia
This was shown not to be true.

Jeff

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jonah2 said:
ps - my mother in law offered to do it for free with two steralized house bricks, but I declined.
Yeah, I usually pull a tanto and a chive out whenever I tell my husband it's time to start thinking about it.

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Big V is no biggie compared to what women go through in birthing babies, or the risks for woman during tubal ligation

Yeah, we've been talking about it for awhile. Basically, we decided that *if* the last birth had to be a C-Section that we would ask for the tubal then, but otherwise it was up to me.

Six children?! I bow to both you and your wife!

My wife read some of the comments here and was amused that I was getting the credit ;)

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My Brother did it some years ago. The procedure went fine, and was up and around quickly. Only problem, his very young daughter ran up to him on the second or third day of recovery, and without thinking, he picked her up in his arms....and promptly went into the fetal position.

He swelled to the size of a grapefuit! After a couple weeks he was fine.

Remember to LAY LOW!!!

And you are doing the right thing!

Mark Barlow

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I had it done about 10 years ago. Went by the Dr.s office in the morning, went to work afterwards, was back on the mat the following night. I'll admit that I didn't take any falls the first night back but other than minor pain for a couple of days, it was no big deal. It was a bit embarressing taking the "sample" in to make sure I was firing blanks but better safe than sorry.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My husband had his vasectomy done during my fourth pregnancy (our decision). [All of my pregnancies were difficult and were very high-risk to both the baby and me which required blood tests every week to monitor.] He recovered very well from his outpatient vasectomy surgery (home in less than an hour). When my final child was born and I had fully recovered, it is really nice not having to worry about any form of birth control (condoms, VCF, etc).

Basically, the result is we were able to enjoy ourselves more and be more spontaneous. There is no problem with his "performance"; in fact, he did even better without the stress of wondering whether the birth control worked/failed.

Side effects for him? Other than pain during recovery time, none. He is able to resume all his physical activities.

- Ceicei

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
It isn't all that bad. I've had seedless oranges since the early nineties. The doctor gave me my little sections of vas deferens in a bottle. I don't know where they are today...thought maybe I'd have them dried and made into earrings for my wife, or Christmas tree ornaments.

The Indians perfected a technique where they inject a gel into the vas deferens. The process requires two minor incisions, and is far less invasive than a vasectomy. The procedure is easily reversable with an injection of DMSO to flush out the gel, and the patient stays sterile on average for ten years if left alone. Its 100 percent effective.

We'll likely never see this procedure here in the U.S., as "Big Pharma" wants to develop a male birth control pill. For the Third World, though, this might have a positive and dynamic impact.

Regards,

Steve

jonah2

Green Belt
Reaction score
jonah2 said:
Same with me - went to the quack last week for the first consultation. He referred me to another hospital where I can have it done on my lunch break. He said it will all be done in the next three months.
Just had my op date confirmed as 27th September - seems a bit real now!!!

jonah

kenpohack

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
mj-hi-yah said:
Good luck Jonah!

Overall it's an easy procedure. I just had one two weeks ago. You'll be sore for a week. Try to get the doctor to give you some pain pills, as mine did not provide any. Ice will be your best friend for about a week or so. You can train after a week, but I don't recommend any contact for two weeks

jonah2

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have been given some advice for my upcomming op, and it may be too much for some to read but anyway -

A freind of mine had the procedure about 10 years ago and he said because there is some swelling in that area the 'weight' increaeses down there that adds to the discomfort.

He said the best releif he could find - but definately to be done with no company - was to fill a jug with water, sit there naked and -- well -- let it all just float

Thought i'd share that info -- it made laugh like mad when he told me the story whilst doing all the actions and descriptive faces!!!

jonah

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone made mention, but when my husband got his surgery, the dr also required him to wear compressing shorts (similar to bike shorts, but more snug--I got him one of those designed to hold a cup [to be worn without the cup, of course]) until he recovered completely.

- Ceicei

kenpohack

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
jonah2 said:
I have been given some advice for my upcomming op, and it may be too much for some to read but anyway -

A freind of mine had the procedure about 10 years ago and he said because there is some swelling in that area the 'weight' increaeses down there that adds to the discomfort.

He said the best releif he could find - but definately to be done with no company - was to fill a jug with water, sit there naked and -- well -- let it all just float

Thought i'd share that info -- it made laugh like mad when he told me the story whilst doing all the actions and descriptive faces!!!

jonah

Try a bag of frozen peas. Freeze them overnight and put them on over a jock strap. It will help relieve the swelling and facilitate quicker healing. It doesn't hurt to take a sleeping pill after the op and sleep for about twelve hours. The body heals faster while sleeping. Also, when you're asleep, you won't feel any pain.

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
Don't know if anyone made mention, but when my husband got his surgery, the dr also required him to wear compressing shorts (similar to bike shorts, but more snug--I got him one of those designed to hold a cup [to be worn without the cup, of course]) until he recovered completely.

- Ceicei
When I got mine my youngest was 3. A cup might have helped.

Jeff

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have heard that the worst part is when they inject deadner into your testicle, is this true?

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
searcher said:
I have heard that the worst part is when they inject deadner into your testicle, is this true?
Fortunately it isn't injected into the testicle but it does briefly burn. The worst part is when your child enthusiastically leaps into your lap.

Jeff

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kenpodoc said:
Fortunately it isn't injected into the testicle but it does briefly burn. The worst part is when your child enthusiastically leaps into your lap.

Jeff
The reason I ask is that one of my former employees had it done while serving in the Navy. He said that they injected straight into his test. and that it felt like getting hit in the crouch by a baseball bat.

Ouch!!!!

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
searcher said:
The reason I ask is that one of my former employees had it done while serving in the Navy. He said that they injected straight into his test. and that it felt like getting hit in the crouch by a baseball bat.

Ouch!!!!
the Anesthesia was not done correctly. Mine burned a little but I get hurt worse everytime I step on the mat.

Jeff

M

Mike M

Going in for a consult on 9/7. Wish I could just get it over with.

Argh. Mike