Vasectomy?

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
A good procedure unless you might want to have babies in the future. The reversal is expensive and frequently fails. I was real sore for about 2 days and waddled for a week. I went to class 5 day later but was a little slow. Within 2 weeks I could do everything I needed to do. I do generally keep the equipment immobile in a cup and jock during class.

Jeff
All medical procedures run the risk of infection, unexpected response to medication, etc. but these are rare.

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
A good procedure unless you might want to have babies in the future. The reversal is expensive and frequently fails

I'm 36 years old with 6 kids :)

Thanks for the rest

M

MisterMike

Ug....whhhyyyyyy did I click this link. I'm sore just reading all this.... :btg:

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Had one on a friday evening, drove myself home (no, not on a bicycle), was back at work driving a truck on monday. I had no problems with the procedure and it's certainly a less expensive and less invasive procedure for you than for your wife.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
theletch1 said:
... and it's certainly a less expensive and less invasive procedure for you than for your wife.
Far less expensive, far less invasive, far less dangerous, and far more reliable.

Tubal ligation involves general anasthesia, a hospital stay, CO2 gas pumped into her abdominal cavity which affects all internal organs it makes contact with, the reliability factor has been dropping (according to the feedback I've been getting from the health care workers in my area - I think that's indicative of poor surgical performance but that's just me), and possible infection and increased risk of endometriosis which would result in yet another surgical procedure.

If it comes down to you or your wife for sterilization ... take one for the team.

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score

If it comes down to you or your wife for sterilization ... take one for the team.

Yes, we had already dicussed that :)

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Far less expensive, far less invasive, far less dangerous, and far more reliable.

Tubal ligation involves general anasthesia, a hospital stay, CO2 gas pumped into her abdominal cavity which affects all internal organs it makes contact with, the reliability factor has been dropping (according to the feedback I've been getting from the health care workers in my area - I think that's indicative of poor surgical performance but that's just me), and possible infection and increased risk of endometriosis which would result in yet another surgical procedure.

Agreed. I'm always amazed at the number of men too afraid to undergo the procedure. An added benefit is that many women become friendlier when they don't fear pregnancy and particularly when they don't have birth control pills decreasing libido.

One other draw back of tubal ligation is that many woman find that their menstrual cramps worsen.

Jeff

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fearless,

Tis true about it being less evasive etc. then for your wife, but if I could just make one very strong suggestion. I think about 6-8 weeks after the vasectomy you are to bring a sample in for testing to make sure that the vasectomy was a success. I implore you, no matter how embarassing it seems, to take that sample in. We had a radio DJ here in Winnipeg that had his vasectomy done on air, lol. He was trying to bring to the attention to the males how easy it was, and it helped ratings too, lol. Anyways... he didn't take a sample in and his wife became pregnant. It is well worth making sure everything was done correctly.

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
wow.

*salutes*

Thanks :) I was sorta thinking when Jeff mentioned "friendlier" that I wasn't really sure if I could handle it if my wife and I were any more friendly...

It is well worth making sure everything was done correctly.

Well...we've joked about that, too :)

K

kenpochad

shesulsa said:

this is not so my wife had it done, She did get anasthesia but was home in two hours , and every thing was done by making two Incision less than an inch long same down time as the
vasectomy.
but i couldnt do the vasectomy at that time i had no ins. on me if i did i would like to think i would have done it

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
MisterMike said:
Ug....whhhyyyyyy did I click this link. I'm sore just reading all this.... :btg:
Again ... MisterMike and I agree on something ...

What is the world coming too ...

Dogs and Cats lying down in the streets together.

Lions and lambs ... AaarrggghhH!!!!

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm sore just reading all this....

Hey, at least this involves anesthesia. Check out the woman's forum thread about kicks to the groin!

lulflo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't know what type of situation it would cause as I haven't had it done, and I have considered it myself, but the thing that stops me is that I believe that there is a reason that you should be able to produce life within your body. It seems to me that that would be original energy and to turn that off within your body would have some serious side effects.

Just like medications have side effects, any time you take away or add something into your body, there are likely going to be some side effects. If that doesn't seem to be a concern for you or if you don't think about the spiritual side of what you are affecting, then go on gung ho and good luck. But if it is a concern for you, anything that is done and would have to be undone if necessary will have had its effect and can not be changed. I would get some reading material on it and talk to many others who might know more than myself on the subject.

Farang - Larry

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
Has anyone here had one? How did it go? What were the downsides? How long before you could seriously train again? Thanks
FearlessFreep,

Make sure you go over all the risks with your urologist. Some urologists believe that there is an increased risk of forming prostate or testicular cancer after a vasectomy especially if there is a predisposition in the family.

Nalia

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
I'm 36 years old with 6 kids :)
:asian:

Wow...

I am going in for the consult on sept. 22nd. Very relevant thread!

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Call me old-fashioned, but...it just ain't for me.
Normally, I'm with you. I've been considering the same thing, because what is even MORE not for me is slipping a jimmy on for 10 more years, or running the increased risk of unexpected fatherhood of a special needs infant (my old lady is in the increased risk age range...still fertile, but with old eggs). Once the insurance kicks in, BRING ON THE SNIP!

D.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Big V is no biggie compared to what women go through in birthing babies, or the risks for woman during tubal ligation. It's a quick procedure, hardly invasive and the recovery is fast. I mean what could be bad about sitting in an easy chair watching a ball game with a nice ice pack on your boys? :idunno: I'd say the only downside is having to have your doc help you into your jockstrap :uhyeah: - still you are way ahead of the game compared to the indignities woman suffer during birth! I am with Georgia on this one, "dudes it's only fair that you take one for the team here!" FearlessFrep I wish you a successful procedure and a speedy recovery. Six children?! I bow to both you and your wife! :asian: :asian:

Latest Discussions