Vacation Days

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
During the year, our dojang is closed during Labor Day, 4th of July-whole week and the next week, week of the county fair, Memorial Day, 2 days of Thanksgiving, two weeks of Christmas/New Year's. Also closed the following Monday after tournaments which there are three. Then there is the countless times black belts are left with classes with no pre-call. But that is 32 days a year minimum for our school. How many days are closed for your school? TW

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lets see all provincial and national holidays when they land on a training day (we only train 2 x per week) and we will be closed the week between xmas and new years so if I add it correctly we are looking at mayb 9 days if they all land on our training days.

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
Closed Thanksgiving Day, Week of Christmas, New Years Day and Week in the the summer

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
We are usually closed the big holidays so we are closed maybe at the most 8 days a year.

Aqua4ever

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We're rarely closed, longest time being at Christmas (24th to jan 2nd), besides that major holidays

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
the main gym for my school(I train at the university in the same area) closes for a few days around the major holidays. Of course, if there is no school, I don't have class that night either. Except for study day...the day before finals start my university has a study day with no classes. But my judo instructor still has class that night. No better way to releive some test anxiety by throwing some people around

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Christmas, Thanksgiving, Labor Day, Spring Break. Usually no more than four days in a row, and we often have that overlap a weekend...and then typically some instructors from Muay Thai, JKD, Combat Submission Wrestling, etc. will elect to have classes during those times.

If my wife and I are gone for any extended period, we get subs for the classes we teach. No point in closing. However, if it's close to a major holiday we don't see the sense in coming in to teach four classes in a row, each one consisting of of ONE person (this has happened). We've got a pretty good sense of when people will be out of town and when is the best time to shut down.

Back in the old days we hardly ever shut down. Its a wonder we didn't burn ourselves out.

Regards,

Steve

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well teaching in two to three towns per day, five towns per week would probably lead to burnout for me. But if you choose that road... TW

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hardheadjarhead said:
Back in the old days we hardly ever shut down. Its a wonder we didn't burn ourselves out.

Well teaching in two to three towns per day, five different towns per week would probably lead to burnout for me. I'm glad I don't do it. But if you choose that road... TW

M

martialpunk

Man, my school seems to be closed alot in comparison. We are closed 6 weeks out of the year. Spring break to coincide with the local schools, 4th of July, Week of the Local County Fair, Thanksgiving, and 2 weeks over xmas and new years. Shutting down the whole week is easier for our payments, which run a four week schedule and a two week month during december. It is nice to have weeks off though, gives you a break so you can not get burnt out.

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
martialpunk said:
Man, my school seems to be closed alot in comparison. We are closed 6 weeks out of the year. Spring break to coincide with the local schools, 4th of July, Week of the Local County Fair, Thanksgiving, and 2 weeks over xmas and new years. Shutting down the whole week is easier for our payments, which run a four week schedule and a two week month during december. It is nice to have weeks off though, gives you a break so you can not get burnt out.

Oh, we have to PAY for those days. We pay monthly at the beginning of the month--most are on contract. Do you not? TW

M

martialpunk

we do not pay for the weeks we are closed, so for november lets say, we have four weeks, the 1-5, the 8-12, the 15-19, and 29-3, with the week of thanksgiving, 22-26, being closed and you do not pay for that week, but the month is still 4 weeks long. does that make sense? it does to me, but may be because i am used to it.

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:
?????????

Who does that?

Regards,

Steve

My instructor, master. He tries to teach at three schools at least once at week with black belt help (free) for the other days. Then there are two schools, the home one is open 5.5 days, another close town open 3, rest are open 2. Hence why we are getting so many black belts. He doesn't teach at all at one school, but the 2nd dan there sends students for testing.
Probably averages about 5 hrs. a day including drive time. TW

V

Vadim

We are closed on major holidays ie. Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas, New Year's Eve.

-Vadim

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Closed for 4 weeks/year: weeks of July 4, Labor Day, Xmas, plus one other. Tuition is on a per month basis, no discount based on closings.

Latest Discussions