V for Vendetta

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Phil Elmore said:
No, they wouldn't have. Only left-leaning ideologues think that.

You think more than 2% of the population could have guessed we would have been involved in a war within the next few years, or been so deeply divided as we are now? You think many people on the right thought civil war was at all possible by 2015? You think they do now?

Most people in America completely slept through Serbia and all the rest of the amazing **** that happened in Clinton's administration, and felt so safe as to sit and examine their navels while the rest of the world kept moving.

All of America's heads were quite far in the clouds, and if it wasn't completely off-topic and I thought it at all worth my time, I'd argue that the Right was and continues to be further tended towards flights of megalomanic fancy. But, I'd rather not be a prick.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Awesome. ;)

Then lets talk about the source material.

What did you think about Evey's capture and how does this impact the V as a Freedom Fighter / Terrorist discussion?

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It is one of the least sympathetic actions the character takes -- essentially torturing someone "for her own good." It reminds the viewer (or the reader) that he's not entirely stable. The fact that she does embrace it is the only thing that redeems the V character for doing it.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Saw this tonight. Intriguing. Hugo Weaving (Agent Smith in the Matrix trilogy) plays V and there's lots of jugular spray and verbose renderings.
It also plays on political standings of today - lots of parallels served up steaming hot and fresh.
Anyone else see this yet?

This was a wonderfully refreshing movie. When it came to a close, I sat in my seat, just sort of dazed. I think it is quite probably the best movie I have seen since Star Trek - Insurrection.

Often, masked characters portray no emotion, no depth. V was able, through the mask, to be a real character; if somewhat enigmatic.

I was not a fan of the Matrix films. And, I actually had very little desire to see this movie .... especially after seeing Queen Amidala on John Stewart's program last week. Mr. Stewart talked with Natalie Portman about being tortured in the film. ... If I want to see torture on the screen, I always turn to Mel Gibson.

Again, I found the film to be very powerful. I may see it again tonight. And, my wife and I may go see it on an IMAX screen this weekend.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
Often, masked characters portray no emotion, no depth. V was able, through the mask, to be a real character; if somewhat enigmatic.
Acting, in-of-itself is difficult to do. Emoting what a particular character is experiencing, particularly if the character's personality is far removed from your own.
Being able to enact a character while wearing a mask and pulling it off successfully (as this film's box office reciepts are testifying) is a testament to the actor's ability to pull something like that off.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just saw the film a second time this afternoon .. in IMAX.

The first half hour of the film is much better, and much more enjoyable the second time around. There are may more pieces of foreshadowing and exposition that can be picked up upon with a second viewing.

While the second and third acts of the film don't carry as much punch the second time through, they remain enjoyable. Natalie Portman's performance is even more noticably outstanding.

In the film, there is an apparent relationship hinted at between V and Detrich. Does anyone have any further ideas on this?

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Saw this tonight. Intriguing. Hugo Weaving (Agent Smith in the Matrix trilogy) plays V and there's lots of jugular spray and verbose renderings.

It also plays on political standings of today - lots of parallels served up steaming hot and fresh.

Anyone else see this yet?

I just saw this tonight. What a movie! Even without the political connotations, it was a great film, IMO. Two thumbs up, way up!

BTW, Natalie Portman has never been more beautiful...
:partyon:

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Even without all that hair, she is still beautiful, isn't she? Though my initial reaction was "ohmigod, it's Sinead O'Connor".

The acting ability of Hugo Weaving really shines through on this film, I think. To convey the multi-faceted V without ever revealing his face takes some skill, no doubt linked with his vocal ability which is incredible.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
The acting ability of Hugo Weaving really shines through on this film, I think. To convey the multi-faceted V without ever revealing his face takes some skill, no doubt linked with his vocal ability which is incredible.

Yeah-neat that you picked up on that: he primarily considers himself a stage actor who pays the bills with movies.He was still at his best in Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, though....:lol: