Ussd

Iron Leopard

Green Belt
Reaction score
yes ussd is giving jr black belts and then recertifiying at 18 sometimes 16 in some cases. I think it's a good idea. I agree with danjo that alot of kids at 16 now are less mature but.. if you've been studying for 4-5 years and are showing the skill and can spar and work your techniques well on adults ..then you should get the black belt.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
yes ussd is giving jr black belts and then recertifiying at 18 sometimes 16 in some cases. I think it's a good idea. I agree with danjo that alot of kids at 16 now are less mature but.. if you've been studying for 4-5 years and are showing the skill and can spar and work your techniques well on adults ..then you should get the black belt.

Much of it depends on what you want a black belt to mean in your organization and thus what you want it to say to the rest of the world at large. If you want a black belt to mean a 21 year-old that's trained for a few years, then give them out. But don't expect the rest of the MA world to think very much of you if you say "I'm a black belt from so-and-so". If someone tells me they're a black belt In BJJ, Kyokushin, or Kajukenbo, then I'm impressed because I know what they had to go through to get there. If they tell me they're a black belt from some of these other places that hand out rank to kids, my opinion will be a bit different.

OP
G

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Also, remember that with the rank there should be a level of maturity. If you are 16 and act like you're 13, but you have skill, I'll still make you wait. Why? Because being a black belt has some kind of respect attached with it. USSD, as well as successful businesses, have a saying "act as if." If you cannot be mature and "act as if" you are a black belt before you get the rank, then you're not ready. Also, I liked what my FV instructor did to me and a few others that were under 16. We were put on probation for a year to prove we were ready for the rank. If you weren't, then you were demoted back to brown and had to wait for the next BB test that you were ready for. Didn't have the demotion experience, but I would emphasize that too if I have a school again.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Much of it depends on what you want a black belt to mean in your organization and thus what you want it to say to the rest of the world at large. If you want a black belt to mean a 12 year-old that's trained for a few years, then give them out. But don't expect the rest of the MA world to think very much of you if you say "I'm a black belt from so-and-so". If someone tells me they're a black belt In BJJ, Kyokushin, or Kajukenbo, then I'm impressed because I know what they had to go through to get there. If they tell me they're a black belt from some of these other places that hand out rank to kids, my opinion will be a bit different.

Here's the corrected quote. Amazing what a transposed couple of numbers can do eh?

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Much of it depends on what you want a black belt to mean in your organization and thus what you want it to say to the rest of the world at large. If you want a black belt to mean a 12 year-old that's trained for a few years, then give them out. But don't expect the rest of the MA world to think very much of you if you say "I'm a black belt from so-and-so". If someone tells me they're a black belt In BJJ, Kyokushin, or Kajukenbo, then I'm impressed because I know what they had to go through to get there. If they tell me they're a black belt from some of these other places that hand out rank to kids, my opinion will be a bit different.

Here's the corrected quote. Amazing what a transposed couple of numbers can do eh?

Yeah, that made a bit of difference ... but I think most of us knew what you meant previously.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, that made a bit of difference ... but I think most of us knew what you meant previously.

Another thing to think of. If someone gives a kids a black belt, that's a lot of pressure to put on a kid. They are being set up for ridicule and scoffing. A child might think that they really want a black belt, but is it really what's best for them? If you take a baby into a bait shop, they are going to want to grab all the pretty shiny thing they see. Unfortunately, those things have hooks in them that they haven't been taught how to handle properly. It takes an adult to say, "No. Not yet." Sure, the kid might get upset, but whatever. He's a kid.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Another thing to think of. If someone gives a kids a black belt, that's a lot of pressure to put on a kid. They are being set up for ridicule and scoffing. A child might think that they really want a black belt, but is it really what's best for them? If you take a baby into a bait shop, they are going to want to grab all the pretty shiny thing they see. Unfortunately, those things have hooks in them that they haven't been taught how to handle properly. It takes an adult to say, "No. Not yet." Sure, the kid might get upset, but whatever. He's a kid.

OK, for the sake of discussion ... hypothetically speaking, what if the person is 16 years old, 6'1" 220#, mature, athletic and can stand up to any adult in your school? Should he too be held back? Same rules? or are there exceptions?

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OK, for the sake of discussion ... hypothetically speaking, what if the person is 16 years old, 6'1" 220#, mature, athletic and can stand up to any adult in your school? Should he too be held back? Same rules? or are there exceptions?

In our school it's 18 years old period. No exceptions.

In other schools, 16 is the age. No problem with that either. More a matter of preference. I assume that the instructor would be going by more than age when awarding the black belt.

Get any younger than that, and it begins to get silly IMO. Look, we have age requirements for a lot of things: 16 to get a driver's license; 18 to vote; 21 to drink; 25 to be elected to the house of representatives, 30 to be elected to the Senate, 35 to be president, 55 to get the Carl's Jr. Senior discount. etc. etc. I don't think we "Owe" children black belts. I don't think it's "holding them back" anymore than it's holding back a 14 year old from getting a driver's license or a 19 years old from being allowed to buy wiskey in a bar.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Amen to that!
icon14.gif

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In our school it's 18 years old period. No exceptions.

In other schools, 16 is the age. No problem with that either. More a matter of preference. I assume that the instructor would be going by more than age when awarding the black belt.

Get any younger than that, and it begins to get silly IMO. Look, we have age requirements for a lot of things: 16 to get a driver's license; 18 to vote; 21 to drink; 25 to be elected to the house of representatives, 30 to be elected to the Senate, 35 to be president, 55 to get the Carl's Jr. Senior discount. etc. etc. I don't think we "Owe" children black belts. I don't think it's "holding them back" anymore than it's holding back a 14 year old from getting a driver's license or a 19 years old from being allowed to buy wiskey in a bar.

Agreed, well stated. Really sad to see some of the people out there holding certain ranks, even those prior to BB ... embarrasses me actually. I just have to realize that I'm not the one handing them out and that I represent the rank I wear well. Maybe some day I'll have the power and can make the rules ... LOL

MeatWad2

Green Belt
Reaction score

How much does ussd charge for black belt test's?

Does Grand Master Mattera run it or his underlings?

OP
G

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
as far as who runs the test, from what I remember, Master Mattera was only at my test for maybe 10 to 15 minutes tops. Random district managers ran the test.

Iron Leopard

Green Belt
Reaction score
I believe that the black belt and higher tests are all $400 now for USSD I'm not sure what Vallari studios are charging now. was $200? I know that one of my friends payed $200! lol

I must say that the masters at the black belt tests I was at at both valarri and USSD were incredibly talented and able to run the tests well.

I'm still going to have to say that hate em or love em the FV and USSD Masters are second to none.

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I like kata....so it is hard to pick one. Ok tired so spelling maybe a issue.

in SKK I like hun suki tiger
In Kosho I like Neko Buto Shodan
In shotokan I like bassi Di

kosho

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
LOL sorry was reading a different post and added it here. LOL
Kosho

Iron Leopard

Green Belt
Reaction score
AMen to that..hand sword...have any of you guys been hit by masters or grand masters or professors for that matter?? and had your body hit so fast and manipulated so well that really you were unable to respond or stop the technique from working if you had tried?

That is an awe inspiring moment! very motivating! Must train harder...Must train harder...Must train harder!

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
AMen to that..hand sword...have any of you guys been hit by masters or grand masters or professors for that matter?? and had your body hit so fast and manipulated so well that really you were unable to respond or stop the technique from working if you had tried?

That is an awe inspiring moment! very motivating! Must train harder...Must train harder...Must train harder!

I have and I'll agree, it's eye opening. I am one that also notices body positioning. During seminars, even if the training is focussed on something else, watch the body positioning. It seems they are always in position without thought, it's natural. Proof to the hours upon hours of training. I was introduced to checking back in the FV days. It's not something that is readily taught thus far in my USSD training, but will be discussed if asked about in the proper arena. Problem seems to be that not all instructors have enough knowledge to even know about this themselves.

Latest Discussions