Use rhino guard to set up single leg

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When you use rhino guard toward your opponent's chest, your head is protected. If your opponent kicks or moves back, his leg will be exposed to your single leg.

What's your opinion about this strategy?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
When you use rhino guard toward your opponent's chest, your head is protected. If your opponent kicks or moves back, his leg will be exposed to your single leg.

I think, as soon as I see your hands lock together like that it's an over hand/uppercut combo to greet the rush. Both of those lines beat the angle.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I don't like. You would actually have to do that on me. Outside looking in. I can see a reduced range of vision I can also see stepping off the center line and a parry. I can only assume a BJJ person would thank you for giving him / her your arms so freely.

The swings are coming from 1972. In other words the swing are being done from an unrealistic position.

Gotta hand it to your students. They really trust you.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Gotta hand it to your students. They really trust you.
It's a new idea. Students know that it's still in the testing stage. I have never asked my students to trust my words. They will need to test this strategy in MMA gym and draw their own conclusion.

I'm going to try this in 5 rounds 2 minutes per round game.

- Person A can do anything that he wants to.
- Person B can only use rhino guard, single leg.

The only score are:

- 1 point for head or body punch.
- 1 point for head or body kick.
- 2 points for single leg take down.

Try this for 5 rounds and decide the winner. Test this for 10 days and get the result.

I believe students will either develop their faith through the 10 days testing data, or their faith will be destroyed by that final data.

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Most MA teachers will say if your opponent

- punches you, you run him down.
- kicks you, you run him down.
- does nothing, you still run him down.

But how to run your opponent down is not well described. I just suggest one of the run down methods. I like to map theory into action.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most MA teachers will say if your opponent

- punches you, you run him down.
- kicks you, you run him down.
- does nothing, you still run him down.

But how to run your opponent down is not well described. I just suggest one of the run down methods. I like to map theory into action.
I'm not sure that's true (either half of it) of "most MA teachers".

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That punch isn't at all realistic - it's not really targeting anything. But the basic premise seems workable. If someone is punching or grabbing, and I penetrate with a plow block (same idea as rhino guard, but closer and hands aren't linked), it can cause them to take a step back, which can create an opening for a single-leg.

Just a note - what I don't see anyone doing when your students are playing with the rhino guard is controlling the actual guard. With both hands out front and tied together, a push block should clear it off-line to set up counter-punching tactics.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
which can create an opening for a single-leg.
Besides to set up a single leg, the purpose of the rhino guard can be to

- bait your opponent's to open his boxing guard, and expose his head.
- get him into a head lock, and change the striking game into a wrestling game.

In my last Friday class, we tested:

- A uses rhino guard to attack.
- B uses parry (or outside in block) to push the rhino guard arms to the side, and uses wheeling step (back leg step to the side, front leg spin behind the back leg) to spin the body out of the attacking path.

The moment that B's arm (or hand) contacts on A's rhino guard arms, the moment B's head is exposed. A can then separates his arms, obtain a head lock on A's head right at that moment.

The more that I have tested this, the more faith that I have in this strategy. I have always wanted to get my opponent in head lock in a fist fighting environment. This strategy is definitely a good one to use.

When I attack my opponent with rhino guard, my opponent has no idea that my goal is the head lock (or single leg).

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Besides to set up a single leg, the purpose of the rhino guard can be to

- bait your opponent's to open his boxing guard, and expose his head.
- get him into a head lock, and change the striking game into a wrestling game.

In my last Friday class, we tested:

- A uses rhino guard to attack.
- B uses parry (or outside in block) to push the rhino guard arms to the side, and uses wheeling step (back leg step to the side, front leg spin behind the back leg) to spin the body out of the attacking path.

The moment that B's arm (or hand) contacts on A's rhino guard arms, the moment B's head is exposed. A can then separates his arms, obtain a head lock on A's head right at that moment.

The more that I have tested this, the more faith that I have in this strategy. I have always wanted to get my opponent in head lock in a fist fighting environment. This strategy is definitely a good one to use.

When I attack my opponent with rhino guard, my opponent has no idea that my goal is the head lock (or single leg).
How is he getting to a head lock when his arm is being pushed away? Maybe I'm not envisioning the movement the way you're practicing it, but if I have a hand on the arm closest to me and pushing it away, how does an arm get around my head/neck?

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How is he getting to a head lock when his arm is being pushed away? Maybe I'm not envisioning the movement the way you're practicing it, but if I have a hand on the arm closest to me and pushing it away, how does an arm get around my head/neck?
In striking game, one of my favor tricks is to throw a fake back fist. The moment that you give me a hard block, the moment that I borrow you force, spin my arm, and change a back fist into a hook punch (or hay-maker).

For the rhino guard situation:

- You use left hand to push my right arm to my left (your right).
- My left arm borrow your pushing force, spin counter-clockwise (from your view will be clockwise) and lock on your head.

I don't have to wait for your left hand to contact my right arm. The moment that I can detect your intention (your left arm is moving away from your head), my right arm will try to get to your head.

In other words, the moment that you try to use your hand to push my arm (not striking toward my head), we no longer play the striking game. We start to play the wrestling game (hand push arm).

If you are a boxer and I'm a wrestler, you can play the striking game (fist meet head) better than I can. But I can play the wrestling game (arm deal with arm) better than you can.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In striking game, one of my favor tricks is to throw a fake back fist. The moment that you give me a hard block, the moment that I borrow you force, spin my arm, and change a back fist into a hook punch (or hay-maker).

For the rhino guard situation:

- You use left hand to push my right arm to my left (your right).
- My left arm borrow your pushing force, spin counter-clockwise (from your view will be clockwise) and lock on your head.

I don't have to wait for your left hand to contact my right arm. The moment that I can detect your intention (your left arm is moving away from your head), my right arm will try to get to your head.

In other words, the moment that you try to use your hand to push my arm (not striking toward my head), we no longer play the striking game. We start to play the wrestling game (hand push arm).

If you are a boxer and I'm a wrestler, you can play the striking game (fist meet head) better than I can. But I can play the wrestling game (arm deal with arm) better than you can.
That still doesn't make sense the way I'm picturing it. The push block I'd be using keeps the hand on the line between your forearm and the head (if I'm also stepping in, it's just passing across my face), so it doesn't create an opening for the headlock - it should be controlling the elbow to prevent the headlock. If I'm not stepping in, I'd likely be using the right hand, instead (if I'm passing to that side, rather than reaching out across myself.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That still doesn't make sense the way I'm picturing it. The push block I'd be using keeps the hand on the line between your forearm and the head (if I'm also stepping in, it's just passing across my face), so it doesn't create an opening for the headlock - it should be controlling the elbow to prevent the headlock. If I'm not stepping in, I'd likely be using the right hand, instead (if I'm passing to that side, rather than reaching out across myself.
Have you every tried to throw a fake punch, the moment that your opponent tries to block it (doesn't have to make contact), the moment that your arm is no longer there (his arm can't touch your arm).

The purpose of your fake punch just to bait your opponent to respond. You then respond to his respond.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you every tried to throw a fake punch, the moment that your opponent tries to block it (doesn't have to make contact), the moment that your arm is no longer there (his arm can't touch your arm).

The purpose of your fake punch just to bait your opponent to respond. You then respond to his respond.
I'm clearly picturing something different than you are. I'm thinking of the move inward with the rhino guard you showed in a video a while back. It's not a punch, and not as mobile.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
One of the issues I had for a while with the rhino guard was picturing it as a continuous thing, since that's how it is in the video. It made a lot more sense to me when I thought of it as just a few seconds, either as an entering position, or to bait something specific. Not sure if that's how you mean it to be used, but it's the best way I can see it working.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
an entering position, or to bait something specific.
When I was in my grade school (3rd grade), the kids loved to play sword fight game. The right arm is defined as the sword. If my sword can touch on my opponent's body (besides his sword), he is killed. We divided kids into 2 teams. When 1 team members were all killed, the other team won.

When every kids were swinging their sword left and right, up and down, there was one kid in my class who loved to charge in with his sword straight toward his opponent's chest. Before his opponent's sword could swing and cut on his body, his sword already touched on his opponent's chest. That was where the "rhino guard" idea came from.

Today, the main purpose is to bait my opponent's to push, pull, block, ... my arms. When he does that, he is not punching my head. I can feel safe to enter.