Use Anything

K

khadaji

I have been studying Systema for several months now. I just love it.

I my little club we have done a lot of work with knives, and one in a while some with sticks (arnis, and bats).

We have talk about incorperating many forms of improvised weapons training. So I am think that we could list as many types of improvises weapons as we can, and maybe a move or two to show its use. Basicaly lets see how we can turn anything into a weapon compatible to use with Systema. Then we all can pool ideas.

I will start, (with a simple one)

A Belt:
Like that one to hold up your pants. You can swing it like a fail, using your body rotation for force. You can also use it as a wip. And you can with a hand on each end use it to wrap and entangle a limb of your opponent. Ad in a body rotation, and you can bring them to the ground partialy trapped.

Please add more applications and weapons as you can...

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It'll probably be a shorter list to ask what can't be used as a weapon?

I don't train in Systema, but from my background in FMA, I see pretty much everything as a weapon.

One of my favorite categories of weapons is flexible weapons. The belt would fit into this category. As would anything else flexible.

I'm a big fan of using clothes while they're still worn by me or the attacker.

I've just uploaded a video montage of me teaching some of this material at a workshop a while ago.

Flexible Weapons Video Montage

But, really, anything I can get my hands on can be used as a weapon. A water bottle. A pen or pencil. A screwdriver. A handkerchief. A towel. A computer mouse.

Also, I can use the environment as a weapon. Maybe sweep the guy so that he lands on a rock or hits his head on a table or chair.

The world is my weapon.

Mike

Arthur

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Anything can be used as an improvised wepon. The important hing is learning to make your movement in a way that it will facilitate the use of anything you may pick up or throw away.

Arthur

Pervaz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
khadaji,

I like your explaination of weapons .. I think a lot of students get caught up using a weapon sometimes (especially if it something different e.g. telephone with cable)..

Also some people forget using their body as a weapon - from the different areas of the head (back, sides and front - forget the top of the head - its weak as an eggshell !!) to using sholders, hips, knees and feet/ankle.

Add to this movement, posture and breathing (not necessarily in that order) with a sprinking of spirit and you have a powerful combination.

In regards to clothes - I see many people train with t-shirts and bottoms which do not extactly mimick what is in the real world - i.e. people wear jeans, "puffer" jackets which are like a michelin man jacket - very difficult to grab and absorbs hits like anything.

pesilat is correct in saying "The world is my weapon" - use your environment ...

P

Latest Discussions