USAT's "Stay to Play" Policy -- you have got to be kidding

OP
B

Bones

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It could also be the vendor, THS, telling USAT about what other organizations are doing and how it can help "raise revenue" and "lower expenses" for the masses. Of course, if THS can sell this concept to more organizations they service than they probably would rake in just a little more cash.

cmassman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So THS is related to several USOC sports? And its not just some Org USAT picked out of a hat? If this is being attempted across other sports, could it be driven by the USOC and we are not seeing the full picture? or is this a copycat scheme that could make money so one decides to implement it too? I'm not for it, but if it seems to be similiar across other USOC sports, is there more behind it than we see?

What? You throwing out the possibility that this is not some evil plot orchestrated by David and his evil board of director henchmen, how could this be? Pardon by political incorrectness I should have used the term henchpersons instead of henchmen.

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What? You throwing out the possibility that this is not some evil plot orchestrated by David and his evil board of director henchmen, how could this be? Pardon by political incorrectness I should have used the term henchpersons instead of henchmen.

remember, the only woman involved at that level " I FIRMLY believe the governance of this organization should be handled by the men. This is a male dominated sport and they are better equipped to handle the governance."

You were correct the first time.

I do think though that THS probably is not owned or operated by any USAT henchmen. They are used by too many groups.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It could also be the vendor, THS, telling USAT about what other organizations are doing and how it can help "raise revenue" and "lower expenses" for the masses. Of course, if THS can sell this concept to more organizations they service than they probably would rake in just a little more cash.

Kind of like a United Way for athletes.

I don't mind the principal of even specific programs to get a good deal on a hotel for groups, etc, I hate the forced component of it.

I am sure a lot of people would have no problem taking their hotel through that gig to get some return for the organization, even if it does not profit them. Just a lot of people have to eat rice and beans for a month to afford extras...you can't just force them into a hotel when they really can't afford the tent...

cmassman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Kind of like a United Way for athletes.

I don't mind the principal of even specific programs to get a good deal on a hotel for groups, etc, I hate the forced component of it.

I am sure a lot of people would have no problem taking their hotel through that gig to get some return for the organization, even if it does not profit them. Just a lot of people have to eat rice and beans for a month to afford extras...you can't just force them into a hotel when they really can't afford the tent...

Unfortunately what this comes down to is David and his evil henchmen are trying to generate some more cash. So with that said the poor guy who can’t afford the THS hotel will not be able to afford the high entrance. So either way he gets priced out. Not saying it’s ok, I just saying in life we can always have everything we want.

Personally, I would like to work on my refereeing skills but I can’t afford to take off work and travel to all the various national events, I’m limited to going to events close by or the local one.

I don’t want people to think I’m a big fan of David and the USAT I’m not. Lord knows I wouldn’t want to be the guy defending them on how they implement policy changes. This stay to play policy is a perfect example of how not to do it. Running a NGB is a difficult job. There are a lot of conflicting interests and requirements. There is no way to run a NGB and make everyone happy at the same time. It can’t be all things to everybody.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
There is no way to run a NGB and make everyone happy at the same time. It can’t be all things to everybody.

I agree, but that doesn't make the negative true--that you can't please everyone so why try?

If you start by defining core values of the organization and then articulate a vision, you then have a structure to guide decisionmaking.

I'll concede that developing Olympic level athletes is one priority, but another must be preserving and improving the grassroots level. USAT has articulated both of those ideas, but this situation is one where they've misjudged the appropriate balance.

To me the core conflict is that the BOD is looking for money now at the expense of future athletes. The future is the 5-6 year old colored belts who need to be included in the best quality programming we can offer. They become the 7-8 year old young athletes who completely rely on their parents to be able to take them to events like J.O.'s. In the name of paying to get to 2012, I guess we're writing off athletes for 2020.

cmassman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I agree, but that doesn't make the negative true--that you can't please everyone so why try?

If you start by defining core values of the organization and then articulate a vision, you then have a structure to guide decisionmaking.

I'll concede that developing Olympic level athletes is one priority, but another must be preserving and improving the grassroots level. USAT has articulated both of those ideas, but this situation is one where they've misjudged the appropriate balance.

To me the core conflict is that the BOD is looking for money now at the expense of future athletes. The future is the 5-6 year old colored belts who need to be included in the best quality programming we can offer. They become the 7-8 year old young athletes who completely rely on their parents to be able to take them to events like J.O.'s. In the name of paying to get to 2012, I guess we're writing off athletes for 2020.

Carl, I didn’t mean to inter that USAT was not trying to please anyone. I think they are. You are correct it is a balancing act between elite athletes and grassroots. I thing it is very difficult to get the perfect balance. I believe it is one of those things we strive for but never really achieve 100%. Both the elite athletes and the grassroots athlete need each other. With out one the other can not exist. Elite athletes need grassroots athletes to support them. Grassroots athletes need the elite athlete to show them what they can aspire to become. To grow successfully you need a goal to acheive something.

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately what this comes down to is David and his evil henchmen are trying to generate some more cash. So with that said the poor guy who can’t afford the THS hotel will not be able to afford the high entrance. So either way he gets priced out. Not saying it’s ok, I just saying in life we can always have everything we want.

Personally, I would like to work on my refereeing skills but I can’t afford to take off work and travel to all the various national events, I’m limited to going to events close by or the local one.

I don’t want people to think I’m a big fan of David and the USAT I’m not. Lord knows I wouldn’t want to be the guy defending them on how they implement policy changes. This stay to play policy is a perfect example of how not to do it. Running a NGB is a difficult job. There are a lot of conflicting interests and requirements. There is no way to run a NGB and make everyone happy at the same time. It can’t be all things to everybody.

To be perfectly clear, I have no issue with USAT getting a rebate on hotel rooms, that is a common policy with many groups. I don't mind them getting so many free rooms for number of nights booked. What I do object to is the forced component to this. Let someone make a choice. If they want to stay there fine, if not fine. If they can get it cheaper by not booking through THS, then USAT needs to make sure they are offering the most competitive rates. At the US Open - rate thru THS for Tropicana was $49 but if you booked on your own, it was $39.

It also hits onto what has been my pet peeve with David for the last few years and his methods of communication and the way he handles things like this. You simply do not change a procedure in the middle of the season. You have no idea how many times I have hounded him and the BOD that USAT needs to get buy in from the membership before making these kinds of changes. There are unintended consequences,not to mention bad will.

Not everyone is going to agree and not everyone is going to be happy. On the other hand, I find it easier to swallow those things I do not agree with when I know that the procedures have been followed and the proper information communication.

Make a change well in advance so members can plan. Be sure you have buy-in before making the change and analyze all the possible outcomes of this change.

If this remains as is, USAT will make a few thousand dollars - ok a few tens of thousands on Stay to Play. On the other hand, how much will USAT lose in membership, participation, secondary sources of income like percentages on t-shirts, photos, etc.....

While I am thrilled he reversed the decision so quickly, I am appalled that once again David has reacted instead of a proactive course of action. This seems to be the pattern. I was told that during his review someone said that David does a good job of cleaning up after these messes. My response was imagine if he didn't cause the mess in the first place, he wouldn't have to clean it up.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
cmassman: I didn't think that you were implying that. I think the view is very different at the top from those of us at the bottom. I don't think they considered how much anger they'd generate by playing with people's money and freedom of choice.

I understand what they're trying to do financially, but the lack of marketing of the policy change made it a complete failure. Forcing changes vs. selling them.

cmassman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
cmassman: I didn't think that you were implying that. I think the view is very different at the top from those of us at the bottom. I don't think they considered how much anger they'd generate by playing with people's money and freedom of choice.

I understand what they're trying to do financially, but the lack of marketing of the policy change made it a complete failure. Forcing changes vs. selling them.

I couldn’t agree more, the USAT really does need to work on selling their policy changes. The way they implemented this one was just sad. With changes like this you need to explain why the change is necessary and what were the other alternatives that were looked at any why we selected the one we did.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
not to mention not throwing changes at members in mid flight....highly irritating!

OP
B

Bones

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Here is the reality if everything works out for the "henchman." Everyone stays at a designated hotel and THS and USAT get their cut. Those who cannot afford the designated hotles get priced out of competing (so much for skill and training). Then one day we'll have a reduced pool of competitors and not necessarily the best...simply the best who could afford to stay at the THS Express.

cmassman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Here is the reality if everything works out for the "henchman." Everyone stays at a designated hotel and THS and USAT get their cut. Those who cannot afford the designated hotles get priced out of competing (so much for skill and training). Then one day we'll have a reduced pool of competitors and not necessarily the best...simply the best who could afford to stay at the THS Express.

Yes, we have had this discussion in other threads about people being priced out of the sport due to training cost, coaches etc. This is just part of life. If you want to compete in a sport at the highest level it is going to cost you a significant amount of money. Each person or family needs to make their own choice as to how much cost they are willing incur to compete in a sport. I know people will argue that they couldn’t have to sacrifice to compete in a sport, but the reality is we do

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, we have had this discussion in other threads about people being priced out of the sport due to training cost, coaches etc. This is just part of life. If you want to compete in a sport at the highest level it is going to cost you a significant amount of money. Each person or family needs to make their own choice as to how much cost they are willing incur to compete in a sport. I know people will argue that they couldn’t have to sacrifice to compete in a sport, but the reality is we do

Sacrifice? yes, on many levels.
Being help up (for ransom, basically) by your organization? Not so much.

There are many things where there has to be a say-so from the top that can get expensive, like the gear, as far as lodging goes, or travel, it should really not go past a recommendation!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well this issue is dead until next year when it become mandatory for all players to stay at a USAT hotel, see everyone at the AAU Nationals.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
At least if you cast your vote you can wash your hands of it, you did your part, and turn your back on that Mickey Mouse outfit...

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Vote do they still have them or do they just override everything? I mean come on when was the last time they actually voted on something and it stayed?

You can't vote on it, except with your wallet. However,

consider who supported it - and did nothing. Here is who is up for re-election:

Kevin Padilla - Coach Director - big believer in protect the elite and the money will trickle down.
Mark Williams - Grassroots Director - both he and Padilla were in same school with HP. IMHO his election was validated illegally in 2007 - Ethics Complaint never resolved.
Brad Lunn - Independent
Mark Biviano - Referee Director - pain in DA's rear
Open Grassroots spot - word is that Larry Voorhees, Eui Lee and possibly Michael Tang are running for this spot. Eui Lee is one of the 3 coaches in 2006 who ran for coaches spot where HP made one signature sheet and used for Eui Lee, Kevin Padilla and Jin Suh who lost to Padilla by 1 vote.

Also running for Referee Director - John Holloway and Michael Soper.

Get behind a candidate and do what you can to get them elected. Padilla won by 1 vote - so every single vote counts here.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You can't vote on it, except with your wallet. However,

consider who supported it - and did nothing. Here is who is up for re-election:

Kevin Padilla - Coach Director - big believer in protect the elite and the money will trickle down.
Mark Williams - Grassroots Director - both he and Padilla were in same school with HP. IMHO his election was validated illegally in 2007 - Ethics Complaint never resolved.
Brad Lunn - Independent
Mark Biviano - Referee Director - pain in DA's rear
Open Grassroots spot - word is that Larry Voorhees, Eui Lee and possibly Michael Tang are running for this spot. Eui Lee is one of the 3 coaches in 2006 who ran for coaches spot where HP made one signature sheet and used for Eui Lee, Kevin Padilla and Jin Suh who lost to Padilla by 1 vote.

Also running for Referee Director - John Holloway and Michael Soper.

Get behind a candidate and do what you can to get them elected. Padilla won by 1 vote - so every single vote counts here.

Care to explain how? each year I have randomly change my voting affiliation because I never here anything about voting. maybe I delete the emails and not pay attention. But I have never seen the opputunity to vote. so how does one do so?