USAT's "Stay to Play" Policy -- you have got to be kidding

Bones

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ok,

So if we all planned ahead, bought our airplane tickets, booked our hotel or made other arrangements we may now be screwed?

USAT's "Stay to Play" Policy for Junior Olympics & Senior Nationals

Bill Kellick April 16, 2010

USA Taekwondo is renowned for operating the highest level taekwondo events in the United States. We are committed to keeping event costs as low as possible. In order to keep costs in line we must develop alternative sources of revenue. Through our hotel resource partner, THS, we have strived to deliver high-quality event hotels at reasonable prices to you. THS negotiates the lowest rates available at a USAT event hotel and builds in a hotel commission to USAT. These revenues help keep our programs going and your events affordably priced.
For the reasons stated below, USAT has followed the lead of other major event sports such as volleyball and soccer and has instituted a stay-to-play policy for certain major events such as the 2010 Junior Olympics/Senior Nationals in Orlando, Florida.
Each individual/team registering for the USA Taekwondo Senior Nationals/Junior Olympics must make their hotel reservations through THS at an approved USA Taekwondo hotel. The approved hotel list is generated by USAT and THS.
Reasons USAT has implemented this Policy
• City-wide participation.
• Convention Center pricing and how it relates to hotel room night capture. We receive better rates for venues because we can guarantee more hotel rooms sold in a community.
• To combat yearly hotel price increases
• Builds stronger relationships with host city.
• We insist on a lower rate range in major cities than the hotels would normally provide.
• Compare our rates and challenge us. We are contractually obligated to give lowest group rates.
• Increased hotel revenue means more money for athlete programs.

Benefits
• Rate Integrity Checks
• Lowest Group Rate Guarantee
(Exclusions: Single/king bedded rooms, employee rates, government rates, AAA and AARP Rates)
• Travel Agent Program
• Wide Ranges of Rates, starting as low as $59/night + tax
• Paid Room Comp Policies that can be extended to teams—starting as low was 1:15 (for details about each hotel’s comp policy, please visit www.thsweb.com)

Special Situations
If you are in a situation listed below, call or email THS and ask more information on how we can help.
• Do you already have a signed Hotel Contract? Please email Evan at [email protected] copy of your hotel contract and what your needs are. We will try and incorporate those rooms into our approved hotel list.
• Do you want to use a hotel not currently on our list of approved hotels? Email us the hotel name, address and number of rooms you are interested in by 4/23/10. If you have already been quoted a rate, please provide us that information.
• If you are a local team, not in need of hotel rooms, please contact USA Taekwondo’s main office at 719-866-4632.
In conclusion, USAT will work with you to make sure we meet your hotel needs at no inconvenience to you. We very much appreciate your understanding and cooperation.
THS Contact information:
THS Company
111 Mill Street
Hackettstown, NJ 07840
Phone: 888.536.8326
Fax: 908-684-2456
Email: Evan Levitt [email protected]
Web: www.thsweb.com

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
the lower section covers you.

Send the email, plus paper mail...
I understand to have sponsorship deals with the hotels near by (the ITA gig in Birmingham included the Sheraton on the grounds...)
but the cynic in me screams 'kick back'

These deals should be on the calendar well before the tourney entries are expected...

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Is it really a kick back when it says right in the message "THS negotiates the lowest rates available at a USAT event hotel and builds in a hotel commission to USAT."?

What really sucks is that we were going to group with a few families on our team and get a vacation rental house or condo that sleeps 12 with all the amenities. I suppose we can still do it. Just tell USAT we are arriving in town the night before our fight and checking out the morning of our fight. Be out the $60 or so for the room through THS (or whatever the lowest rate hotel they offer is), but never actually check in. Then stay the whole week (or in our case 10 days) where ever we want.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I understand trying to recop revenue but to make it mandatory is another thing. U will be in FR. Lauderdale and driving up the day of competition for a few competitors. They have already booked rooms or I should say timeshares that they have though RCI. To me this is going to lower participation because people have there own price range and what they want to stay at. Me as a adult I have a choice to stay where I want and not be told that I must stay so my child can compete at a tournament I am paying for out of my pocket.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is that even leagle?

I have never seen one of their hotels come even close to the lower prices I can find at better hotels not to mention houses for way less. I have never stayed in a USAT approved hotel.

What B.S.

So much for trying to get better. Still looks like they are chasing the duckets (money).

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is that even leagle?

I have never seen one of their hotels come even close to the lower prices I can find at better hotels not to mention houses for way less. I have never stayed in a USAT approved hotel.

What B.S.

So much for trying to get better. Still looks like they are chasing the duckets (money).

Yea I mean what a brunch of crapola, I will be calling them on Monday and I will let you know what they say about staying at another Hotel, I also will ask how is this legal?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oops, sorry I just saw that I spelled legal wrong.:nuke: I hate that.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
the lower section covers you.

Send the email, plus paper mail...
I understand to have sponsorship deals with the hotels near by (the ITA gig in Birmingham included the Sheraton on the grounds...)
but the cynic in me screams 'kick back'

These deals should be on the calendar well before the tourney entries are expected...
It outright says "kickback."

Even for the locals!

I can understand their goal and perspective... but to require EVERYONE to stay at their official hotels, unless they obtain special dispensation, is a little bit extreme, I think!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ask them if they heard about racketeering laws...

;)

I really have my doubts it is legal...

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yea I mean what a brunch of crapola, I will be calling them on Monday and I will let you know what they say about staying at another Hotel, I also will ask how is this legal?

Not a surprise....This is arrogant beyond belief and shows a blatant disrespect for the membership...This could hinder an athletes "right to compete" and that is a big legal liability...I am sure that David Askinas will be at the Spanish Open. I will voice my displeasure and let everyone know his response. If they would like to pay for my room I would gladly stay at their hotel. In the mean time I will stay with my relatives in Orlando.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is that even leagle?

Legal, yes. The USAT is a private entity and they can definitely enforce participation rules like this.

Now if you want to talk about respectful to their members, that's another story.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not a surprise....This is arrogant beyond belief and shows a blatant disrespect for the membership...This could hinder an athletes "right to compete" and that is a big legal liability...I am sure that David Askinas will be at the Spanish Open. I will voice my displeasure and let everyone know his response. If they would like to pay for my room I would gladly stay at their hotel. In the mean time I will stay with my relatives in Orlando.
Does an athlete have a right to compete in a particular organization? I doubt it is a "right." They're running their event, and can set the rules up how they want. It's just disrespectful to their athletes, and downright rude and money-grubbin'.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Does an athlete have a right to compete in a particular organization? I doubt it is a "right." They're running their event, and can set the rules up how they want. It's just disrespectful to their athletes, and downright rude and money-grubbin'.

They take a good deal for entry fees...I am sure there is a equal opportunity clause somewhere in the law....

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
They take a good deal for entry fees...I am sure there is a equal opportunity clause somewhere in the law....
I doubt it. Essentially, they've got a right to make the rules for their events. This isn't really all that different from a rule saying you must wear a white dobok or use a particular approved brand of gear.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I found this on LadyTKD

In the event that my comment posted on the Stay to Play article disappears - here is what I posted. If you are unhappy and not afraid to use your name, go to the usa-taekwondo.us site and voice your displeasure.
My questions: Was this approved by the BOD? If this was, then members need to find out who voted for it. This is an election year, if your disagree, vote them out. If this was not approved by the BOD, in that this is definitely a policy decision, it should have been. The timing and planning of this on top of the Lajust requirements will harm other vendors to the detriment of the USAT. When parents must pay extra for booties and in 2011 to rent the hogues or buy them, then adjust their plans to stay somewhere they do not want to do so, they will evaluate first whether or not they even want to send their child/competitor to USAT events. Then if they do come, they will not be as quick to buy t-shirts, photos, souvenirs - which means the vendors don't make any money and USAT ends up losing on that end. This was a poor decision.

And also this

I can't afford hotels. I sleep in my old VW camper. Will THS rent me a spot in an approved parking lot? Who's in charge of parking anyway? USAT needs to find more sources of income instead of squeezing the same people over and over until no more change pops out of the holes in our pockets. Yes, I know it is cheaper for the to have 1000 people pay $200 each for something than to deal with 2000 people paying $100 each for it. That is the new policy people, read the minutes if you don't believe me. Oh, wait a minute, they don't always publish the real ones do they? Let's limit our numbers and charge more---less work for the organization in the long run and makes their job easier doesn't it?
Too true! Good thing they already killed the Elite Division outside 14 to 32 year old Black Belts. They were already getting shafted with the LaJust deal.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I doubt it. Essentially, they've got a right to make the rules for their events. This isn't really all that different from a rule saying you must wear a white dobok or use a particular approved brand of gear.

It goes a bit further than that, actually. but sadly, I am not a lawyer, don't play one on TV and to top it off I did not stay at the Holiday Inn Express either.

It is one thing to announce preferred lodging well before the entries go out, another to change the game mid way. Those practices get my hackles up.

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
First off this was NOT voted on by the BOD. It was an administrative decision. I have a few more posts on ladytkd but said I would post John Esche's letter everywhere I can. he asked great questions.

Posting here is great - get the word out. Posting on the USAT site is better. Register and post on the article. Last I looked there were two others besides me who complained on the USA-Taekwondo.us site.

This is crap.

An open letter to David Askinas

Dear David

Seldom am I at a complete loss for words, but this latest piece of news to come out of your office is by far the most stunning thing I have seen since I first started attending events with Taekwondo. I fully admit I'm not quite seeing the bigger picture here, so perhaps a few answers will help me to understand what the original intent of this new rule is and perhaps I am simply misunderstanding it.

Regarding Stay to Play

1. If I have two children competing, will both of them be needing their own rooms in order to play?

2. Is it possible for me to obtain a list of exemptions you are going to allow for this tournament? I can
think of several competitors who live in the greater Orlando area that I'm sure will not be forced to
spend 120 dollars a night for the "right to compete". Where is the dividing line being drawn for this?
In other words, will it be a 50 mile radius or will competitors from Miami and Atlanta be allowed to
drive down that morning to compete?

3. As I read the qualifying chart for Nationals, I do not see where a validated room is part of the
qualifications. Haven't you changed the rules of the game after the qualifying games have been
played?

4. In the interest of transparency, will the members be allowed to see exactly how much the hotels of
Orlando are "kicking back" to the USAT? I would like to know exactly what line on the financial
statement you intend to put this money on.

5. Was this a staff decision, or was this voted on by the board? I would like to know who voted for it
and what the outcome of this vote was.

6. As I looked this morning at the 20 hotels THS has picked to be acceptable accommodations, I notice
most are sold out. Apparently there are 20 available hotels to choose from with an availability of 68
rooms. With 40 of these rooms at the Crowne Plaza Hotel. When these rooms are gone, how is THS
going to handle the rest of the members who have traveled a long way only to be told they can't
compete due to their staying at the wrong hotel. I am reading that THS guarantees the lowest rate with the
exception of AAA AARP and a couple of other excemptions. If I am a member of AAA can I use my
member discount, stay at an approved hotel and try and keep my costs down or is it strictly for rooms
booked with THS?

7. Who will be in charge of policing this? Upon check in, will a competitor be required to show his
room key to validate his eligibility? What of our athletes who register a room and allow several other
competitors to stay in the same room with them in an effort to save money? Will all of them have to
be registered individually?

8. If a competitor has relatives in the Orlando area, and would prefer to stay with that relative, will you
be forcing them to at least have a hotel for one night in order to compete?

9. Where are you staying? How much is the room you are staying in costing the members of the USAT?
Is it a suite for entertaining, or will you be staying in a room with two double beds and who are you
sharing that room with? How many other directors, staff members or what you deem to be dignitaries
will be staying at no charge to them and the bill being picked up by the USAT?

10. I plan on attending Nationals this year. I'm currently living in Florida and since the event is only
an hour away, I am looking forward to seeing the event. Since I am a lifetime member, I am entitled
to a ticket to attend the event. Will I be required to stay at a guest hotel for this benefit, or is
it just for competitors?

I appreciate your taking the time to answer these questions. As a long time supporter of the USAT, I am always open to new and innovative ideas that will help our athletes to succeed. However, I cannot begin to see how a hotel room and its location allows any athlete an advantage to compete at such a prestigious tournament. What I'm looking at from a parents point of view, is that the USAT has just priced themselves completely out of the market for what an event such as this is worth. For the sake of argument, you simply raised the entry fee roughly 120 dollars during one of the worst economic downturns in this century. I'm sure it doesn't sound like much. But to a family with limited funds to be told 75 days before the event, that they will now be required to only stay at the finest hotels as dictated by USAT, THS or some man behind a green curtain is ridiculous.

I understand what the original intention of this plan was. As I stated earlier, I am always open to new revenue streams that eventually trickle down to our athletes. But I am totally against holding up athletes parents and supporters for a few dollars.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer these questions for all of your constituents. I feel it is important to keep lines of communication open and that sometimes seems to fall through the cracks in our organization from both sides of the fence. I feel that you spending a few minutes of time answering some of the above questions will go a long way towards helping us understand how this decision was arrived at and where all the benefits to the plan are in the bigger picture.

I eagerly await your response.

Sincerely

John Esche
Lifetime Member

cmassman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I’m not sure it’s that big of a thing, the USAT is just trying to control cost. By guaranteeing a certain number of rooms at select hotels the USAT will be given discounts or even free rooms thus reducing their cost for putting on the event. I suppose the USAT could just add another 50-100% to the cost of the entry fee, but I’m guessing people would be upset about that too.

If this really bothers you that much don’t go. If nobody shows up they will realize it was a bad idea. If we still show up but are mad the USAT will not care. As long as we show up the USAT will consider this a good move. It’s all about the numbers not how happy the membership is good or bad.

I know a lot of you will argue it’s not fair to the athletes. There are a lot of things that are not fair. We all just need to deal whit it.

As it has been pointed out in various threads membership is down, attendance at events are down mostly due to the economy but the cost stay the same. USAT is just trying to reduce cost.

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I’m not sure it’s that big of a thing, the USAT is just trying to control cost. By guaranteeing a certain number of rooms at select hotels the USAT will be given discounts or even free rooms thus reducing their cost for putting on the event. I suppose the USAT could just add another 50-100% to the cost of the entry fee, but I’m guessing people would be upset about that too.

If this really bothers you that much don’t go. If nobody shows up they will realize it was a bad idea. If we still show up but are mad the USAT will not care. As long as we show up the USAT will consider this a good move. It’s all about the numbers not how happy the membership is good or bad.

I know a lot of you will argue it’s not fair to the athletes. There are a lot of things that are not fair. We all just need to deal whit it.

As it has been pointed out in various threads membership is down, attendance at events are down mostly due to the economy but the cost stay the same. USAT is just trying to reduce cost.

IMHO this about the CEO scrambling to make money - no matter where he can get it. I don't think that the low numbers are due to the economy as I checked out other orgs and some even had increases. I expect that this will be the smallest Junior Olympics in history. All Elite (recreational divisions) have been eliminated except for the 14-32 black belts, required purchase of LaJust booties, required hotel rooms....

It is not just about getting the free comp rooms, USAT gets a kickback on all the hotel rooms booked through THS.

As with many people, I think that people are more upset about having their right to choose revoked.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Usually the hotels recommended are not the economy types.

And the problem is less the 'option' of staying but the forced choice after reservations have been made.

There is a difference between sponsors offering event discounts (that's great) vs forced participation in the program.

So if you have to jump through hoops for the excemption, I am guessing the attendance for the next event will reflect that.

Not to mention there are airlines I won't fly with if I can possibly avoid it. That means the only way I fly with them is if my scheduled flight can't make it.

Latest Discussions