USA trip 2020

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just confirmed, I have a 5 week trip stateside in September 2020, starts in Boston, then a few days in Toronto (Yes I know thats Canada), on to Seattle, down to LA, over to Dallas, then a stop off in wv for some fried chicken on waffles and Jalapeno corn bread (highlight of the trip), then on to philly, before flying home, have a day or so at most locations, so if anyone would like to meet up, have a session, some food and a few beers, and in the vacinity of these areas, would love to meet you.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
@Gweilo....what dates will you be in Boston?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Close, but no cigar for me, sadly. You'll start out a couple hours north from me and head the wrong direction.

D

Deleted member 39746

Perfect oppertunity to sign onto a shivworks course! :p

OP
Gweilo

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
@Gweilo....what dates will you be in Boston?
Get into Boston Fri 28th August, spending a couple of days, catching up with family, so would be leaving Boston sometime on Thursday 3rd Sept.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Get into Boston Fri 28th August, spending a couple of days, catching up with family, so would be leaving Boston sometime on Thursday 3rd Sept.

Damn. I’ll be in Boston in September. But not for a few weeks after you leave.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My schedule, as it stands now, is pretty variable. I'll try to remember to check in with you if it looks like I'll be in any of those areas at about the same time.

OP
Gweilo

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yep, got a few sessions booked already with other practioners in my art form, and a couple of meetings with old friends from Hapkido, but most of all, I am looking forward to a little dinner I stopped at last time I visited, that does amazing fried chicken, a jalapeno corn bread, and lemon pie, in West Virginia, run by a little old lady, who takes no crap from anyone, you could drive right past it and never know it was there, but it was recommended by a chap I had trained with in Texas.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I really like Antler Kitchen & Bar in Toronto.
Never been to Seattle.
Been to LA twice. I am sure there are tons of places to eat/drink there.
Norma's Café in Dallas has Great home cooking.
For breakfast, you cannot beat Honey's in Philly.

If you stop in TN or close try the Nashville Hot chicken. It is incredible.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, got a few sessions booked already with other practioners in my art form, and a couple of meetings with old friends from Hapkido, but most of all, I am looking forward to a little dinner I stopped at last time I visited, that does amazing fried chicken, a jalapeno corn bread, and lemon pie, in West Virginia, run by a little old lady, who takes no crap from anyone, you could drive right past it and never know it was there, but it was recommended by a chap I had trained with in Texas.
Any idea the name or location of said diner?

OP
Gweilo

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Its just near a town called arnoldsburg on the 119 I think, the name of the lady is lilly, or lillian, which is the name of the dinner, she looks like a sweet little old black lady and runs it with her daughter or niece, but she is firery, when I was there last time a couple of locals were giving other customers a bit of stick, she put those lads in order real quick, threatened to tell one of the lads father he was causing trouble, but the chicken oh man, she used buttermilk in the batter, never had fried chicken like that before or since.

OP
Gweilo

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
But if there are any recommendations of great food, I am all ears, especially want to try gumbo, or blue crab, or any top notch chilli, or burger place, mexican or any other local food on my journey, I will be having philly cheese steak and pestrami sandwich on rye bread, I will have to work real hard inbetween, to burn calories but love trying local foods on my travels, and beer, but not fond of things like budweisser or cools etc, but local brews that some limey dont know about.

OP
Gweilo

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
PM me your Seattle dates. Maybe we could meet up.

Thursday 10th to Monday 14th, not sure how to pm. Went into name, clicked start a conversation, then it went to createing a thread.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thursday 10th to Monday 14th, not sure how to pm. Went into name, clicked start a conversation, then it went to createing a thread.

You were doing it right. Private conversations are still threads. They can either be locked to the original participants or unlocked so people who are involved can invite others in. But they're still threads.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Its just near a town called arnoldsburg on the 119 I think, the name of the lady is lilly, or lillian, which is the name of the dinner, she looks like a sweet little old black lady and runs it with her daughter or niece, but she is firery, when I was there last time a couple of locals were giving other customers a bit of stick, she put those lads in order real quick, threatened to tell one of the lads father he was causing trouble, but the chicken oh man, she used buttermilk in the batter, never had fried chicken like that before or since.
That should be more than enough for me to find it my next trip through WV, thanks!

Latest Discussions