Usa Tkd

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How many of you like the changes the USA TKD are doing, do you believe they are for the good. Like qualifiers that really mean nothing this year and there Grass root program, do you believe to little to late or are they making the right move.

G

Galvatron

My only real issue with the USTU/USAT is the skyrocketing cost of competition now. It's getting to the point where our national team will not represent the best the USA has to offer in TKD, but rather the best that had good funding.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are the changes? I saw that it isn't state competitions now? Rather regional qualifiers? Rochester, MN has one here, I believe. TW

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've heard that they are going to try to bring punching back into competition...which I think is a great thing...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
bignick said:
I've heard that they are going to try to bring punching back into competition...which I think is a great thing...

This might not be a good thing for the sport because, IMO, a good TKD match focuses on foot techniques. You don't see that much. My fear is that TKD sparring would turn into kickboxing and lose its uniqueness.

Yet, I still think that it would be great for the art, as it would round out TKD sparring.

upnorthkyosa

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have adopted a "wait and see" attitude. My group is not heavily into tournaments, but we support the State tournament and have folks occasionally go to Jrs.

However, the new USA TKD does not really seem to acknowledge that many, if not most, students are not going to go beyond the State tournament. By eliminating the State tournament in favor of the 6 qualifiers, USA TKD may very well increase the quality of competition, but will surely fail in getting more people involved in the sport. I think that's a shame.

I have not renewed our school charter this year. I don't see where I would be getting my money's worth from USA TKD. This is just my personal opinion.

Miles

T

TKD USA

wow thats unbelieveable I didnt know they took away the state tournaments. I guess I will have to do AAU this year

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
State tournaments were not taken away. They were removed as a prequalifier from the national tournaments. Qualifying tournaments are being held throughout the U.S. for an elite divisions at the national tournaments. The nationals will have both an open tournament and a qualified invitational.

I would have hoped that they had used the state association tournaments as seeding to the regionals/national opens. I would also like to have seen the top four of the open tournament become qualifed for the elite division competition. I know this is the toughest way to qualify, but it would give alot of people in the far away states (Alaska, Hawaii, Montana, etc.) a chance for the elite championship. I know next I'll be asking for double elimination.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
TX_BB said:
State tournaments were not taken away. They were removed as a prequalifier from the national tournaments. Qualifying tournaments are being held throughout the U.S. for an elite divisions at the national tournaments. The nationals will have both an open tournament and a qualified invitational./QUOTE]

This is correct, I mis-spoke(typed?). You can have any number of tournaments in your respective state. There is no official State Championship.

Sorry if there was any confusion.

Miles

Latest Discussions