Upward elbow

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
So this weekend I went to a Muay Thai to watch a teammate defend his English title (lost the fight by split decision but a very close fight) but one thing I saw that I liked. My team nearly knocked down his opponent with an upward elbow, the guy staggered across the cage and nearly went down but just recovered and that was from wearing elbow pads. He should've jumped on him but he thai clinched and tried to use knees. Personally I'd have stayed at boxing range and used punches and kicks

But anyway it got me thinking the upward elbow isn't something you see a lot in sports like Muay Thai and mma for me anyway I don't see it a lot maybe some others here have seen it more. But I think it's a great move. It comes from a odd angle so harder to see coming than your standard horrizontal elbow and can do a lot of damage. Either if you catch it dead on the chin or like what happened in this fight he caught him right on the temple after side stepping him.

Just wondering what people think of the elbow. Actually as I write this not sure if that elbow is illegal in mma as I know 12-6 elbows are illegal but this elbow technically is 6-12

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
An upward elbow is just slightly more difficult than the upper cut, and in a fight for your life, you go with what you know. Secondly if you are too short, that is too high, but if he leans in,you may ace that shot. It's allowed.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like upward elbow strikes. Probably because they work well with the distance I'm most comfortable with. Actually first saw them in a boxing gym a long time ago, watching two guys who were working on cheating/cheap shots - you know, throwing a hook and hitting with the elbow, or throwing an uppercut and hitting with the elbow.

But I like them a lot. As for the UFC and MMA in general, I don't think they know their own rules concerning elbow strikes.

Latest Discussions