upnorthkyosa in motion...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It did remind me of Kenpo! Thanks for posting that, Kyo Sa Nim.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here is the rest of the Ee An Sol Cha Gi (kicking form) set. Numbers 3, 6, and 9 are special. The student makes those up. Although they still have to meet certain requirements. See Below

Sam bon - four kicks and four hand techniques, one of each in the four cardinal directions.

Yuk bon - eight hand techniques and eight foot techniques, one of each in the four cardinal and four intermediate directions.

Cu bon - two hand techniques and two foot techniques in the four cardinal directions breaking three boards with each foot technique and two with each hand. This must be done in under five seconds. You'll have to wait until I get some holders for this...;)

The rest of the kicking sequences work on various principles regarding kicking.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here are Chil, Pal, and Cu bon.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm removing Tang Soo Hyung from this thread so I can reduce the file size and make it easier to download. I will add the form to a new thread dedicated to my hyung.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I owe UpNorth a huge apology. He sent me several videos back in December to put up on the site, and I have been way behind in getting them online.

They are up now. Thank you very much for sending them in. :asian:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]*** New 02-22-2006 ***[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tang Soo Do [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]John Kedrowski[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cane Form (5.81MB AVI) [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pyung Ahn Sa Dan (6.04MB AVI) [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pyung Ahn O Dan (6.10MB AVI)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tanto Hyung (6.18MB AVI)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Unig Zyow (13.4MB AVI)[/FONT]

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hate to say it Bob, but everyone of them said "server not found".... at least on my end. Might want to check it.

Upnorthkyosa, of the ones I've seen (that you posted) look great in form and everything else. Keep up the good work.

(giggled at the sound of your (?) kid in the background noise. :D )

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Should work now. Bloody copy/paste seems to drop the server bit.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
Should work now. Bloody copy/paste seems to drop the server bit.
Uhh, nope. I'm running the latest Firefox on my computer with everything else updated as of a few days ago. Just FYI.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
I owe UpNorth a huge apology. He sent me several videos back in December to put up on the site, and I have been way behind in getting them online.

They are up now. Thank you very much for sending them in. :asian:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]*** New 02-22-2006 ***[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tang Soo Do [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]John Kedrowski[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cane Form (5.81MB AVI) [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pyung Ahn Sa Dan (6.04MB AVI) [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pyung Ahn O Dan (6.10MB AVI)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tanto Hyung (6.18MB AVI)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Unig Zyow (13.4MB AVI)[/FONT]

Wow! That looks great, Bob! Thanks for all of your hard work and determination to make MT what it is.

Had anyone else checked these vids out?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Wow! That looks great, Bob! Thanks for all of your hard work and determination to make MT what it is.

Had anyone else checked these vids out?
Like 'em, like 'em, like 'em a lot! Good job!

hapki68

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey there, Upnorth...

I just found this vid clip section. Great clips.

I wonder sometimes if non MA people watch these kinds of things and shrug, like kicking is no big deal. However, for those of us who struggle to spread their legs wide (a problem I have being inflexible) and not falling off balance, we know how tough kicking really is.

My instructor has us kick for about 15 minutes straight... and it's like death. My legs and glut muscles ache worse than what I experienced doing squats in the gym (when we do low spinning stuff.)

Thanks for posting

P

mattkulma

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
They look good, but you seem really tense during the application. The one thing that I really notice is that on your side and round house kicks there is not a full pivot on your standing leg, but there may not be in Tand Soo Do any more, I am not sure. I think it is in number 6 or 7 with the drop heel sweep, if you let your momentum carry you farther around it will be easier and faster to transition to the next move. Not to be a downer, they do look very nice, I might try and use them for some combinations in class some time when I am teaching. I might have more ideas about them if you are interested.

Soo Bahk!
-Matt

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Simple pattern really but what lessons it teaches. Nice job demonstrating on the video.

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
Now that's the stuff I like doing! Nice kicks. We do something similar, an exercise where we start just doing front kicks for 10 kicks, then do front kick to side kick for 10, then front kick to side kick to back kick for 10. Sometimes we finish that off by doing front kick to side kick to back kick to front kick/jump front kick (with the other foot). Great for teaching balance, keeping the hands up, keeping the knee up, and bringing the hips back with the foot after each kick, all of which you demonstrated really, really well in those vids. Cool stuff.

EDIT: About what mattkulma said, I agree, but I realize you were going fast on that one, and the aim isn't so much about the individual kicks as about the transitions, and the balance. Still great stuff.