upnorthkyosa in motion...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi everyone;

I'm experimenting with a few features that all supporting members get on MT. One of them is the ability to attach short videos of themselves doing various martial arts moves. UpNorthMum took these this afternoon with our digital camera.

In Tang Soo Do, we practice something called Ee An Sol Cha Gi. These are forms that teach a student to kick in multiple directions. The two forms that I'm posting are the first and second forms in a series of nine. By chodan, a student will have learned all nine.

I hope you enjoy...

John

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's a good form for practicing your balance while kicking... Do you plan to post the other forms too? I'd like to see them.

- Ceicei

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Looks good, John. Good fluidity. Must be nice to have a room in your home to play in like that. I have no indoor space to play, and the outside is cold and unhappifying.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I've got more in the pipeline. I just have to edit a few pieces in order to conform to the forum limits.

Flatlander said:
Looks good, John. Good fluidity. Must be nice to have a room in your home to play in like that. I have no indoor space to play, and the outside is cold and unhappifying.

The fluidity is very important when doing ee an sol cha gi. I'm glad it looked good. My personal workout space isn't all that big, but its just big enough for me to do all of my forms, including weapons. I wish the ceiling were a little higher though. My staff form just barely brushes it.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This next video is called Tang Soo Hyung. It is typically taught at 2nd dan. There are 90 moves and it is supposed to be done in 30 seconds. I've got it down to 19...and I think that is the limit that I can push it without losing the principles.

Things the Tangsoodoin work on when practicing this form are...

1. Fast multiple strikes.
2. Use of hip with every technique.
3. Transitions between high and low strikes.

Let me know what you think...

John

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
That's a good form for practicing your balance while kicking... Do you plan to post the other forms too? I'd like to see them.

- Ceicei

I'll see if I can post the rest of the series. I'm trying to figure out how to cut down the size of the file. Bob gave me some good suggestions...now its time to experiment.

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I like the stuff but some tips from my humble self are to work on your breathing and relax, you look like you're about to explode my man.

The other thing is more of a question, what are your hands supposed to be doing when you practice the multiple kicks?

I liked the form though, it was very quick and well executed. And the kicks looked perfect from the legs down to me

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Hi everyone;

I'm experimenting with a few features that all supporting members get on MT. One of them is the ability to attach short videos of themselves doing various martial arts moves. UpNorthMum took these this afternoon with our digital camera.

In Tang Soo Do, we practice something called Ee An Sol Cha Gi. These are forms that teach a student to kick in multiple directions. The two forms that I'm posting are the first and second forms in a series of nine. By chodan, a student will have learned all nine.

I hope you enjoy...

John

I did enjoy! I just saw the first clip and I am impressed. I like the way you maintain your balance while executing the kicks. When I have time, I'll watch the second one as well. Good work! :asian:

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Solidman82 said:
I like the stuff but some tips from my humble self are to work on your breathing and relax, you look like you're about to explode my man.

I picked up on that as well, although I attributed it to being under observation (the camera). The great form he displayed with his footwork demonstrates that the good habits are there, only that doing them for "everybody" put some tenseness there, IMHO.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just saw the second one and I noticed that, despite the speed at which you executed the techniques, you retained power and focus in each and every kick. That is so much better than I did in sport TKD (not all TKD is this way, only commercialized sport), where I just threw my leg out there as fast as I could and fluttered around.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Solidman82 said:

The other thing is more of a question, what are your hands supposed to be doing when you practice the multiple kicks?

I liked the form though, it was very quick and well executed. And the kicks looked perfect from the legs down to me

Thanks Solidman82, I am certainly not perfect in everything I do...:)

My hands should be a little closer to my body and in a better guard position. Sometimes I work these sequences with a belt over my neck to keep my hands from falling. Looks like I better get the belt...;)

As far as the breathing goes, the 90 moves in 19 seconds is really intense. I'm getting over 4 strikes per second throughout the entire thing. I try to keep my breathing natural, but when I really try to pound them out, it gets strained. There are so many things I need to work on with that form...it is probably one of the harder ones that I know.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was wondering about your hand techniques - are these open-fingered strikes, or do my slow, old eyes fail me?

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Very nice kicks.

It must be nice to have hips and knees that alow you to do that.

V/R

Rick

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
I was wondering about your hand techniques - are these open-fingered strikes, or do my slow, old eyes fail me?

Some of them are open fingered eye rakes and some are closed hand block/strike combinations.

I don't think its your eyes. I put this clip in my video editing software and I went through it frame by frame. I'm moving so quickly that the camera doesn't pick up the transitions. Basically, the clip is like a high speed flip book.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Rick Wade said:
Very nice kicks.

It must be nice to have hips and knees that alow you to do that.

V/R

Rick

Thanks Rick, but I have to say that a good part of this is all in the training. I bet you would surprise yourself. Btw - I've lowered the height of the kicks in the kicking forms and sped them up and I've heard that it reminds people of kenpo.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you for posting these, upnorth. I wouldn't worry about the imperfections because they appear to me, as most form styles, to be something you could spend a lifetime trying to perfect. I like that you throw the kicks primarily low. For me, though the low kicks may be easier to throw, the balance is more difficult because one tends to put more power into them. Well Done! I particularly like the 90 moves in 19 seconds. We practice no excercise like that. I would enjoy learning it. Personally, I think I'd be holding my breathe the entire time. :p