Update on my school

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I started with 6 students when I took over as head instructor 2 years ago. I ran off all but one when they realized that things were going to be hard, including my then head student. However, I've got about 20 students now, summer being here 12-15 average a night. That's with no advertising, no tournaments and no demo team of any kind. And I'm pretty happy with that. We are considering a demo team, and I've brought up the idea of having a school logo, but there wasn't much reaction from the other instructors on that idea. I'm also looking at obtaining rank in some organization eventually, but that is on the back burner while I work on a much better work situation.

kitkatninja

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Congrats :)

...I'm also looking at obtaining rank in some organization eventually, but that is on the back burner while I work on a much better work situation.

You mean promotion and/or ratification with an association/union/external organisation/governing body? As I believe you're a 2nd Dan already.

Which ones are you looking at?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This part I am confused

Not really confusing. There are plenty of people in the world who have left their org or their instructor for various reasons. At some point, these people will have to either affiliate with another org or instructor, self-promote, or have students hitting a ceiling in their own rank.

Personally, I think finding an org/instructor is the best of those choices, so long as they're reputable, as opposed to an Ashida Kim-type of org.

OP
B

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What Dirtydog said - I've got to eventually affiliate with someone, or my students will hit 1st dan then won't be able to ever move up under me. I don't have anyone less than 2 years from black belt, so I have time.

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Not really confusing. There are plenty of people in the world who have left their org or their instructor for various reasons. At some point, these people will have to either affiliate with another org or instructor, self-promote, or have students hitting a ceiling in their own rank.

Personally, I think finding an org/instructor is the best of those choices, so long as they're reputable, as opposed to an Ashida Kim-type of org.

Ah. Now I and understand

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm glad to see things are going well for you & your school. I would encourage you to seek an instructor/ organization sooner, rather than later. The reason is, when you find the connection that works for you & them it may take awhile (perhaps years) before they will allow you to test under them. Learning their systems & ways of doing things alone might be an issue in that process. I speak from experience on this. And while it's been a great experience for me, it was not a quick or always smooth transition.

I wish you continued success with your school.

irgordon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I started with 6 students when I took over as head instructor 2 years ago. I ran off all but one when they realized that things were going to be hard, including my then head student. However, I've got about 20 students now, summer being here 12-15 average a night. That's with no advertising, no tournaments and no demo team of any kind. And I'm pretty happy with that. We are considering a demo team, and I've brought up the idea of having a school logo, but there wasn't much reaction from the other instructors on that idea. I'm also looking at obtaining rank in some organization eventually, but that is on the back burner while I work on a much better work situation.

I would suggest the ITA--Independant Taekwondo Association http://www.dsihq.com/tae-kwon-do.html

Grandmaster Pelligrini believe schools should run themselves, they only assist in certifications and having the professional association to help school succeed. You can do everything on your own, outside of certifying Dan and even Gup ranks.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would suggest the ITA--Independant Taekwondo Association http://www.dsihq.com/tae-kwon-do.html

Grandmaster Pelligrini believe schools should run themselves, they only assist in certifications and having the professional association to help school succeed. You can do everything on your own, outside of certifying Dan and even Gup ranks.

I've met Mr. Pelligini and I do like what he is doing in his Combat Hapkido system. I'm not sure however what the value is in his ITA organization. It just seems like an opportunity to grab rank to me.... Really doesn't make any sense to me at all. If you're entirely free to teach whatever you want without 'interference' from the ITA, then what could the group be certifying you in to begin with?

irgordon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
GM Pelligrini founding art is actually Taekwondo. He learned Hapkido second. The ITA is a very legitimate organization but, because their are others some more notable like AAU Taekwondo and USA Taekwondo, it is very hard to stand out. Taekwondo is a very global and saturated art, trying to find a niche is difficult. However, that doesn't take away from the legitimacy or organized curriculum that they have. If you want more help, they can of course provide it but, if you just need a place to certify your ranks and process your Dan through Kukkiwon, then their is no better organization, it doesn't have politics and won't require you to change your own curriculum to meet their standards.

I would encourage you to email them [email protected] if you want to learn more. GM is very friendly and approachable.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would encourage you to email them [email protected] if you want to learn more. GM is very friendly and approachable.

I've heard him in person give a pitch for the organization. As I said, it makes no sense to me. If he allows you to keep your potentially very unique curriculum (and he does) then how on earth can he truly certify you in something he may not know himself?

Say I teach TKD with some of the Korean chuan fa forms included like Doju San. If Mr. Pelligrini doesn't know Doju San, etc, himself - how could he hope credibly to certify me and mine in OUR curriculum? I trust you see the contradiction there? Now if you're talking join the ITA and learn an ITA curriculum, sure that is logical enough. But that's not quite the premise Mr. Pelligrini offers with his TKD org.

I'm not looking for certs by the way. I am happy with my current situation. I responded because you brought up the ITA.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

You had me gasping there for a while...
But that other club has changed the alphabet soup they go by these days....

Friend of mine left the alphabet soup club years ago, to join TA, then left them to join/form ITN.

irgordon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It may not be for you, like it says on the website:

The ITA is dedicated to the advancement of TaeKwonDo in all its aspects: art, sport and self-defense discipline. The primary goal of the ITA is to provide independent TaeKwonDo Instructors around the World with an association committed to their professional enhancement.

The goal again is for those instructors who are independent and operating by themselves, an organization where they can obtain support in their mission of teaching Taekwondo, after all that's why we are hear, because we are Taekwondo stylists...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What Dirtydog said - I've got to eventually affiliate with someone, or my students will hit 1st dan then won't be able to ever move up under me. I don't have anyone less than 2 years from black belt, so I have time.

Not really my business here as I'm not a TKD person. I'll just say that if you affiliate with someone, hopefully they are actually teaching you something of benefit and you yourself are growing and improving as a martial artist under their direction. If it is simply an affiliation that is a source of further rank, without actual growth and learning involved, then in my opinion you are better off staying as you are, further rank be damned.

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Chiming in

In the early decades, there weren't too many TKD orgs.

Like restaurant franchises (i,e, Burger King, Wendy's, McDonald's-etc.), people wanted to break/branch off and start anew, thus creating a new org.
When they had done this, they also changed the curriculum, forms, etc.

But with a new org, how can it certify others coming in with their own curriculum?

Simply starting a new org with a label to include all others may seem like a marketing pitch to create more members

Like a franchise, it should have some consistency from all within

It would be like McDonald's Franchise members changing the product menu and product name from the main org and still call their location McDonald's

Some other things to think about;

When does TKD stop being like TKD?

How can it retain a iconic identity with so many new orgs and changes?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It may not be for you, like it says on the website:

The goal again is for those instructors who are independent and operating by themselves, an organization where they can obtain support in their mission of teaching Taekwondo, after all that's why we are hear, because we are Taekwondo stylists...

I think his Combat Hapkido offering has clear value. The ITA cert stuff not so much. It seems like more of a paper opportunity given the primary bullet points advertised. No offense intended by the way. If you like it, more power to you.