Update on Dojaang changes

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well if you remember I was going though growing pains a few months ago about adding people and keeping the doors open. Well here is an update I lost three pretty good people that wanted it harder like it was, gave them the option of moving to a later class and they declined, but I have added over the past couple of months probaly 30 people with these new programs like the BB club abd special training. I know it is all the same but it is the eye of the people. Our first two classes are real slow and nobody really breaks a sweat and I do not even run the air conditioner. The 7:30 and adult clas has picked up 13 people and that is about sweating and bruises so it is my classes.

I just wanted to say Thank you to all that helped me come full circle and let go so my BB's could run these softer classes.:asian:

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Any news about business picking up is good news these days, Terry. Well done—and look, you might get those three people back.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Change can be a scary thing, but usually good things happen if we let them!

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Any news about business picking up is good news these days, Terry. Well done—and look, you might get those three people back.

Maybe but really doubtful they said I was a sell out. Each there own.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, we know and you know that you didn't sell out. Keeping the doors open and food on the table is far from a luxury!

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well, we know and you know that you didn't sell out. Keeping the doors open and food on the table is far from a luxury!

I know but for years I have tried to keep the doors open without this but in today society we need the soccor moms of the suburbs.
icon10.gif

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you made a good business decision. Our structure sounds similar to yours. We have an adult class that is moderate at best for all practitioners but then there is a competition class that is hard core.

This is also the same for our younger students. The competition classes are 9 - 14 students per class but the regular classes can number up to 50 students at times.

There are a few other programs we have as well.

You have to have multiple programs to run a successful business.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know but for years I have tried to keep the doors open without this but in today society we need the soccor moms of the suburbs.
icon10.gif

Thing is... it's like advertising: a necessary evil if you need to make a profit. Even Journal of Asian Martial Arts sells advertising—discreet, good-taste advertising, none of the Matt Furey 'Fear no man!! I'll make you a walking weapon' type crap that fills the pages of Black Belt and other, uh, mass circulation MA mags—but they still have to do it. To offer the high quality content they do so well, they have to keep their heads above water. You have a family to support; this is your business. You're not running a McDojang, you're offering different tracks for people depending on their level of intensity and willingness to train hard. Why is that bad? Would they rather you closed your doors because you couldn't make a living from practicing your profession?

Very easy to be pious when it's not your bread and butter that's at stake... but this is one those folks really haven't thought through. We know better, Terry.
icon14.gif

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm glad these difficult decisions are working out for the better for you. You know I'm always in your corner.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thing is... it's like advertising: a necessary evil if you need to make a profit. Even Journal of Asian Martial Arts sells advertising—discreet, good-taste advertising, none of the Matt Furey 'Fear no man!! I'll make you a walking weapon' type crap that fills the pages of Black Belt and other, uh, mass circulation MA mags—but they still have to do it. To offer the high quality content they do so well, they have to keep their heads above water. You have a family to support; this is your business. You're not running a McDojang, you're offering different tracks for people depending on their level of intensity and willingness to train hard. Why is that bad? Would they rather you closed your doors because you couldn't make a living from practicing your profession?

Very easy to be pious when it's not your bread and butter that's at stake... but this is one those folks really haven't thought through. We know better, Terry.
icon14.gif

Ah, yes, said it so much better than I could have!

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Its good to hear that things are looking better. I have been trying to get my programs to grow for the last couple of months and I have been kicking around some things that may help me out.

BTW-you are not a sellout and those that say we are, do so from being idiots.

Not to jack the thread and with me being curious, how many you running in a typical month?

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have four clases m-t Friday is fight night and Saturday we have two classes, we are averging about 15-20 per class right now.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
It sounds like overall, things are working out. THat's good Terry. I'm really glad things are going gbetter. We need good instructors out there.

Peace,
Erik

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Way to go Terry. :asian:

You have a really good way of teaching. Glad to see you growing and that new students have interest :asian:

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Way to go Terry. :asian:

You have a really good way of teaching. Glad to see you growing and that new students have interest :asian:

Thamks Carol by the way how is everything with you?

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Terry I am glad that it seems to be going good and hopes that it continues that way!!!

Latest Discussions