Update from my recent test

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I went in today and told my Master I'd take the grade and get ready for my next test (instead of either quitting, or re-testing for a better grade).

He told me that was probably a good idea, and then named more things he said I messed up on, implying that I might not pass if I re-tested. Although from what he said, I'm not sure if they're details he's taught me yet. He has a tendency to do this whenever we butt heads - once I knuckle under, he will rub it in to make sure I get the message.

I've also decided that for next time, I will video tape the test. In this way...
  • If he says I made a mistake and the video can prove I didn't, I have tangible proof instead of it being my word against his.
  • If I look at the video and find I did make the mistake, then I can reconcile it in my mind.
  • I could bring him the video as a teaching tool. If there are details he hasn't taught me, or else details I've missed, we can use the video to help find what I did wrong and need to correct.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Honestly having to wrestle a guy for twenty minutes after I dislocated my toe for my grading.

Was less painful.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
A good way to approach it if you think the video shows your instructor made a mistake is something like "Sir, I am confused. . You told me I did XXX incorrectly but the video seems to show it was correct. Can you please help me out? "

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Honestly having to wrestle a guy for twenty minutes after I dislocated my toe for my grading.

Was less painful.
That's my martial arts secret. I can manipulate my ki through the internet to physically attack people around the world!

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You should, go ahead and video yourself and take a look at the video, before your next test. That way you can see and correct yourself beforehand.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm surprised you haven't been filming your performances before now.

Your classmates and instructor are well aware of how dedicated you are, so I can imagine that the only way to push you beyond may be bordering on the unfair.

I had many training moments and tests and challenges issued to me which were verifiably unfair in pretty much every martial arts club I've spent a lot of time at lol. It would frustrate me more often than I care to admit, but in hindsight many of those things got me to the next level. Would I recreate the same scenarios I experienced for any student of mine?..mmm, probably not, but I can acknowledge where they helped me grow.

I've also had experience with executing things technically correct and still not getting full marks.
Even though I had been able to perform things without technical mistakes, I wasn't executing the techniques as well as I could or was expected of me by the instructors.

A huge part of Taekwondo and martial arts is really learning to deal with people and their faults, mistakes, misconceptions, expectations, being hypocritical. Probably my most difficult and greatest lesson and, like many other areas of martial arts, I'm still improving here.
I hope you can take this frustrating situation and use it all for your growth and understanding.

(Also.... humbly, from my own experience.. I caution against burning bridges too quickly in martial arts. You may grow to miss the connections you had with these people, no matter how ugly the situation may be at present.
Don't burn bridges to the ground when all you really needed was to add a few checkpoints and boundaries.
Happy training.)

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm surprised you haven't been filming your performances before now.

Your classmates and instructor are well aware of how dedicated you are, so I can imagine that the only way to push you beyond may be bordering on the unfair.

I had many training moments and tests and challenges issued to me which were verifiably unfair in pretty much every martial arts club I've spent a lot of time at lol. It would frustrate me more often than I care to admit, but in hindsight many of those things got me to the next level. Would I recreate the same scenarios I experienced for any student of mine?..mmm, probably not, but I can acknowledge where they helped me grow.

I've also had experience with executing things technically correct and still not getting full marks.
Even though I had been able to perform things without technical mistakes, I wasn't executing the techniques as well as I could or was expected of me by the instructors.

A huge part of Taekwondo and martial arts is really learning to deal with people and their faults, mistakes, misconceptions, expectations, being hypocritical. Probably my most difficult and greatest lesson and, like many other areas of martial arts, I'm still improving here.
I hope you can take this frustrating situation and use it all for your growth and understanding.

(Also.... humbly, from my own experience.. I caution against burning bridges too quickly in martial arts. You may grow to miss the connections you had with these people, no matter how ugly the situation may be at present.
Don't burn bridges to the ground when all you really needed was to add a few checkpoints and boundaries.
Happy training.)

That's the thing. There really isn't a next level as far as dedication and training go. I certainly can improve, and I'm working towards it. I'm there for every single class, either as a student or instructor. I'm doing private lessons, some of us have formed a study group. I practice at home, on breaks at work.

I have meticulous attention to detail. I'm always working on improving something, whether its my stances, kicks, punches, details in the forms, weapon skills, etc. I do research when I get home (or during work).

About the only way I could be more dedicated is if I quit my job...and hell no is that happening. If the lesson is that I need to dedicate myself more, it's a dumb lesson. Because I quite literally can't.