Up close and personal

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
yes as long as you are incontrol then everything is fine, but what if he head butts you or bites your ear off, or hits you with elbows and knees, suddenly your not in control any more. its a risky place to be, particularly if your at a physical disadvantage to start off with and people with a physical advantage like to get in close as thats where they can use it best.

Really if that's where you find yourself by design or bad luck, launching an all out assault with whatever weapons you can muster is the best strategy, hit them as hard and as often as you can, before they can do the same to you, don't mess about trying to ' control them' or you may lose an ear
But now you are changing the dynamics. If the position or distance or control are changing then certainly the feet are a good and useable tool. Naturally they are more effective for some than others because of strength, flexibility, kicking skill, etc...
I am not uncomfortable inside someone's personal space but I do not want my ear so close they can bite it off. But I dont think that is what @marques was referring to.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I played with some real grapplers and found that ...actually ...elbow-range puts you right where they want you.
One of my favor tests is to let my opponent to knee me in clinch. When my opponent does that, not only I can grab his kneeing leg and take him down, I can also hook his rooting leg.

IMO, the knee strike in clinch can be a gift to an experienced wrestler. It further proves that some striking is not effective when a clinch has been established.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
how many variation of kneeing some one are there ? the knees only goes in one plain, so that's up and down ! have to got magic kneees ?
I count 9 easy targets (+genitals and head). Knees defence may lead to easy takedowns... (ok, do not give me a world champion as opponent to prove me wrong :) ).

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I count 9 easy targets (+genitals and head). Knees defence may lead to easy takedowns... (ok, do not give me a world champion as opponent to prove me wrong :) ).
we are not counting targets who are counting tech, and it's the same motion no matter what your aiming it, if we count potential targets for a punch we are talking dozens.

kneeling someone in the head is not an easy target, not unless you have a significant jump. getting someone head down into range is also not easy, I have serious doubts that you have ever tried any of this outside of a dojo exercise

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One of my favor tests is to let my opponent to knee me in clinch. When my opponent does that, not only I can grab his kneeing leg and take him down, I can also hook his rooting leg.

IMO, the knee strike in clinch can be a gift to an experienced wrestler. It further proves that some striking is not effective when a clinch has been established.
Yes, against that wrestler I would rather hit and run...

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
we are not counting targets who are counting tech, and it's the same motion no matter what your aiming it, if we count potential targets for a punch we are talking dozens.

kneeling someone in the head is not an easy target, not unless you have a significant jump. getting someone head down into range is also not easy, I have serious doubts that you have ever tried any of this outside of a dojo exercise
Ok then, 3 motions and 2 levels (ignoring head and genitals). I am out, you won.

Latest Discussions