University of Florida Student Tazed at John Kerry Speech...

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Weirdos? Conspiracy theorist? Entitlement mentality?

Yes, I do have an "entitlement mentality." I believe I'm entitled to freedom of speech because the Contsitution entitles me to it.

It was a question and answer session. The kid asked a couple of questions about Skull & Bones, and why the man who insisted he'd "fight for every vote" conceded before all the votes were counted. Uncomfortable as those questions were for Kerry, I'd like to know those answers too.

Even as Kerry was saying that he would answer the questions, the police were marching him out. The arrest was premature at least, and probably completely unnecessary. Sorry, if it was illegal to be an annoying *******, then half my co-workers would be in jail.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even as Kerry was saying that he would answer the questions, the police were marching him out. The arrest was premature at least, and probably completely unnecessary. Sorry, if it was illegal to be an annoying a$$#ole, then half my co-workers would be in jail.

This is the thing...

It IS illegal to be an *******, in certain places and times. I'm going to cite Virginia law, since it's what I know best, but most states have similar statutes. It is illegal to disrupt many types of school events, government meetings, funerals or memorial services, church meetings or services, or, "with the intent to cause public inconvenience, annoyance, or alarm, or recklessly creating a risk thereof...engages in conduct having a direct tendency to cause acts of violence by the person or persons at whom, individually, such conduct is directed" (18.2-415, 1950 Code of Virginia, as amended). So... given the circumstances, I'd say there's an arguable case that, had he done this in Virginia, he could have been arrested for disorderly conduct. I'm sure that Florida has a similar statute.

Similarly, in Virginia, there are limits on where and when you can picket. You can't obstruct the free passage of people (18.2-404), and you can't picket in front of someone's home (18.2-419). It's even a felony to wear a mask in public, with certain exceptions! (18.2-422) It could even, in theory, be illegal to teach some parts of the martial arts that many of us practice, IF the intent was to further civil disorder! (18.2-433.2)

The bottom line, to me, remains quite simple. This kid may have had a legitimate point. But it's not really being discussed; instead, people are arguing about whether the jerk should have been Tased or not. As I already said; he could have made his point by trying to ask his question, then going along peacably when the cops told him to leave -- or even requiring them to march him out, with no further resistance. Then -- he'd be able to come forward and argue that Senator Kerry didn't want to answer the questions and had him silenced. I think it's kind of pertinent that I haven't seen any indication that he's tried to do so... Instead, all that's being discussed is whether the cops over-reacted.

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
First of all, people do not get arrested for civil disobedience. People are arrested when civil disobedience becomes criminal in nature.

Next, while I believe that use of force was justified, I also believe that the campus police on scene could have done things better. The main thing that comes to mind is I would like for them to be giving loud, verbal commands. I can hear the idiot, but not the police. They should be saying loudly what they want him to do, no for his benefit as much as for their benefit and those of the witnesses. If I'm fighting someone or using OC or whatever in a crowded venue, when my Sgt is doing a follow up investigation, I want everyone he interviews to be saying, "The officer kept telling him to stop fighting, stop resisting, to lay down, etc."

As far as whether or not the police should have removed him to begin with, under NC law, once someone with authority over the property (not the police, but the owner or an authorized rep.) tells someone to leave that property and that person refuses, they are trespassing. If they refuse to leave in my presence, they are probably going to be placed under arrest. If they refuse to comply with verbal commands, then I will use reasonable force to gain compliance.

If I went to the student's house and John Kerry was there harrassing the student and was told to leave. If John Kerry refused, I would arrest Kerry.

Now, I am an LEO, but I have also attended rallies and political events for causes I support and I have never had any trouble fully expressing my opinion and have never been arrested for it. Many protesters know exactly what will force an arrest and will purposefully get arrested for publicity sake. Fine, that's how the game is played.

If I'm working an event like a rally or protest, I want nothing more than a nice peaceful event wherein the participants can be heard. As an LEO, it is my job to uphold people's rights, and I like that about my job. But sometimes, as I said, people intend to be arrested. If that is the case, I will accomodate them if need be, and will try to do it quickly and professionally with a minimum of fuss.

I personally think the campus police were not expecting much trouble and when it happened they did not react as decisively as they should have.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, no, it's not just one inconsiderate person; it's all the people running to his defense claiming that his right to "free speech" was infringed on, thus demonstrating the entitlement mentality and level of inconsideration that society has come too.

nah, it's just a small number of us putting forth the novel idea that maybe we don't need to be in such a hurry to arrest people for the treasonous crimes of being obnoxious and belligerant.

And once again... it doesn't take as long as he took to ask a question. 1min35sec is not a question, it's a speech or a rant in it's own right.

apparently some people believe that's worth arresting someone over.

Latest Discussions