Universal Pattern

• Thread starter Chicago Green Dragon
  • Start date
OP
K

Kenpomachine

Originally posted by Robbo
The UP that you see is a 2D representation so you are not going to see a cube. If you are referring to the 3D image, then just join 8 equidistant points to get a cube.

I was refering to the 3D. If it was a projection of the UP, there should be a cube and no need to join the points.

Do you have an example of a action that is a cube?

The action won't be a cube, but a side of that cube, think of it like a mopping, sweepping (maybe I'm getting this more confusing????). It's like a plane of motion.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Path of Motion as vs. Line of Motion. Think a squeegee or winshield wiper, with movement along the entire length of the blade. This could be the movement along one side of the cube (inside or outside the cube.)

-Michael

OP
K

Kenpomachine

Originally posted by Michael Billings
Path of Motion as vs. Line of Motion. Think a squeegee or winshield wiper, with movement along the entire length of the blade. This could be the movement along one side of the cube (inside or outside the cube.)

-Michael

That's exactly what I was thinking about, the windshield wiper :D
Thanks

True2Kenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Green Dragon and others,

Many times I find myself drawing the Universal Pattern in classes and such, and the more I thought about it I was always told that the Universal will cover every conceivable angle, line, circle, etc...

So with that in mind, wouldn't the pattern if drawn or made as a model be just about solid in that every angel would be covered and there would be no gaps?

Thanks for your comments in advance. Good journey!

Respectfully,
Joshua Ryer
UPK Pittsburgh

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by True2Kenpo
Green Dragon and others,

Many times I find myself drawing the Universal Pattern... wouldn't the pattern if drawn or made as a model be a solid black ball, in that every angel would be covered and there would be no gaps?

Thanks for your comments in advance. Good journey!

Respectfully, Joshua Ryer UPK Pittsburgh

Yep, that would be a big "correct"! :D

:asian:

sumdumguy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chicago Green Dragon
Hmm I was thinking something more b-spline oriented.

Instead of spheres using b-splines to define the paths.

Chicago Green
Dragon :asian:
I don't have bspliens but if you have 3d publisher I did put together an animated version of of a 3-d universal pattern. I will see if I can save it as an animated gif? it took a while to do, a couple of years, but it's pretty cool.

OP
J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by sumdumguy
I don't have bspliens but if you have 3d publisher I did put together an animated version of of a 3-d universal pattern. I will see if I can save it as an animated gif? it took a while to do, a couple of years, but it's pretty cool.

I would like a copy of it, if you can get it animated as a gif. I don't have 3D publisher though.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by True2Kenpo
Green Dragon and others,

.. wouldn't the pattern if drawn or made as a model be just about solid in that every angel would be covered and there would be no gaps?

Yep. Just like a big black dot. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Trying to avoid life's potholes,
Randy Strausbaugh

Latest Discussions