United Studios of Self Defense (USSD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
akja said:
But this is the question I wanted your opinion.

It's been said that 50 years active does not equal 10th degree. Is there any reason to claim the 10th without your instructor giving it to you?

My personal feelings on 10th degree ranks is that there should be 1 per system. And when that one passes on, there would be a successor appointed, or elected.
That's where the problem lies. Some system leaders do not make it clear who they want to be their successors. Or even have one highest ranked student that would obviously be the highest ranked if the leader unexpectedly died.
In all practicality, if you've been training and teaching for 50 years, your instructor has probably passed on. So you probably wouldn't be promoted to 10th degree by him. And then there's always the traditions of only being able to promote someone to ranks 1 or 2 degrees below your own.

But I guess your main question is, whether it is better to promote yourself to 10th degree, or have a outside organization promote you.
There's no simple cut and dried answers to that. Some of the main things that most people in the martial arts consider the measure of promotions are: 1. time in their art, 2. Contributions to their art, 3. Contribution to the proliforation of their art.
Now days many people bring up Mr. Parkers name when they point out "self promotions". And then use that as a justification for others who have self promoted to 10th degree.
In reality Mr. Parker was one of the first pioneers of karate in America. He helped make karate what is in America today. Before he promoted himself to 10th, he was already a 8th degree and had created a system/organization that already was a large international system. He also had been in the martial arts for over 30 years. Nobody at the time questioned his qualifications to be the 10th degree of American Kenpo. And someone else with the same qualifications probably would'nt be questioned about their self promotion either.
So it's simply rediculous to say that Mr. Parker's self promotion is not valid because it didn't come from an outside organization.
We've all seen these "outside organizations" and silly "sokeship councils" that promote anyone who's check dosen't bounce. And I think most martial artists agree that it's illegitimate for anyone to promote someone in a system outside their own.
This is all just my own opinion. But, I have seen a whole lot of 10th degrees, and I can say that the standard for 10th degree seems to be very wide.

kungfuninja

White Belt
Reaction score
Dango thats hilarious!!

It's funny how you guys talk about self promoting. Charles mattera of ussd promoted himself to 9th and maybe tenth?

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
John Bishop said:
1) My personal feelings on 10th degree ranks is that there should be 1 per system. And when that one passes on, there would be a successor appointed, or elected.
being able to promote someone to ranks 1 or 2 degrees below your own.

2) Now days many people bring up Mr. Parkers name when they point out "self promotions". And then use that as a justification for others who have self promoted to 10th degree.
In reality Mr. Parker was one of the first pioneers of karate in America. He helped make karate what is in America today. Before he promoted himself to 10th, he was already a 8th degree and had created a system/organization that already was a large international system. He also had been in the martial arts for over 30 years. Nobody at the time questioned his qualifications to be the 10th degree of American Kenpo.

3) And someone else with the same qualifications probably would'nt be questioned about their self promotion either.

1) Thats what sets Kajukenbo apart. Grandmaster does not mean 10th degree.

2) Mr. Parker was a rare one, over time. You and I both know what Sijo felt and said in Sept. 1987 but none the less Mr. Parker has done more than most for the martial arts.

3) That pretty much was what I was looking for. along with part 1. Thank you.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
kungfuninja said:
Dango thats hilarious!!

It's funny how you guys talk about self promoting. Charles mattera of ussd promoted himself to 9th and maybe tenth?

If I remember right, Charlie claims to have gotten them from the Shaolin Abbot from China along with Steve Demascos. Whatever.

bdub2000

White Belt
Reaction score
I saw some photos of Matterra and Demasco's promotion ceremony in China at a shaolin temple... (promoted together)

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
bdub2000 said:
I saw some photos of Matterra and Demasco's promotion ceremony in China at a shaolin temple... (promoted together)

Goes to show you what money can buy and influence can gain. Awarded mastery at Xiaolin should = been training there a spell, and know THEIR stuff backwards and forwards, in your sleep, upside down. Now, what do you suppose the chances are that either one of them has spent the last 25 to 40 years training in China?

Tourist dollars -- enough of them -- can get you anything. Including BS promotions, with pictures and pretty certificates.

These guys make me sick. And if we're lucky, the next great plague will take them first.

Regards,

Dave

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
CNG is now a 10th?

LOL !!!

His video that was posted by Professor Shuras speaks volumes. That guy isn't even the level of a 3rd kyu in most systems. I can care less what rank he claims, but to think that he is teaching and corrupting kids and young adults, just sickens me. Geary can have his paper rank, but will he be able to save his @ss when the time comes?

I started 10 years before Geary and still consider myself young in the arts. Some people seem to be in such a rush all the time.

I think CNG proves the example that rank in the U.S. means nothing today.

bayonet

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Amen to that FistLaw. I am the same age as Ol Grandmaster baiter Geary and have bled and sweat for my Shodan ranking in ONE art. I believe the Golden Dragon says"Time will either promote you or expose you". Well Nebraska's worst is on the map and believe me, CNG is NOT well regarded here in Hawaii. Small state, word travels fast in the Kenpo/Kempo world, AKA the "coconut wireless". I would like to see how CNG would perform in a technique line with Clyde!!!!:rofl: Ever hear the Van Halen tune "Somebody get me a doctor"

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
heck........he only had his 5th dan at the beginning of 2005.
the guy must be some kind of martial arts genius.

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
John Bishop said:
This is a common misnomer amons't some of the Cerio Kenpo and Shaolin Kempo people.
Truth of the matter is, that George Pesare, Nick Cerio, and Fred Villari never took a day of Kajukenbo (Emperado) instruction. And there are no Kajukenbo techniques or katas in the Shaolin Kempo system.
HI FOLKS
Dear John, [and no, it won't be one of "those" letters,LOL]
After reading your post, I felt I had to say something regarding it. You have admitted in the past that you have never studied Shaolin Kempo and were not familiar with it. As a Black Belt in several of the various Chuan fa/Kempo/Kenpo arts, I have seen numerous similarities and many times exact duplications of various Kajukenbo material. Having studied Karazenpo Goshinjutsu,Shaolin Kempo. Kenpo Karate [New England based], Ed Parker's American Kenpo, David German's T.A.I. Kenpo, as well as Bill Gregory's Kajukenpo-Pai Lum, I have always focused on searching out the similarities and differences between the various incarnations of the art.
I also studied Kajukenbo for a short time with the only Rhode Island certified Kajukenbo through the I.K.A as well as attended Kallaii Griffin's past Kajukenbo event [and plan on attending this years too!] I look forward to obtaining the new Kajukenbo series of DVDs to further research the similarities.
I will write a far more detailed post on this topic in the near future, however, I can catagorically state several points:
The lineage of the new england based kenpo that is based on karazenpo goshinjutsu uses the exact same salutation ["Right foot out on elbows"] as the Kajukenbo palama sets.
2. the kajukenbo opening [A left vertical outward blaock with a simultaneous right front 2 knuckle/horizontal thrust/seiken punch <sometimes with a right front snap kick in some kajukenbo lineages] is a frequently used technique in several of the shaolin kempo forms [2 kata,hansuki,5 pinan,etc...] This motion stems from the southern chinese kung fu styles.
3. As I was viewing the Gary Forbach kajukenbo self defense tapes [#2,punch counters,#3 club counters, and #4 Knife counters] I saw many similar techniques and exact techniques taught in our kenpo curriculums, everything from the classic "return to sender" use with both the club and knife.
4. when I learned the "monkey dances" of the Kajukenpo Goshinjutsu system as taught to me by Prof. Mike Rash and Sigung Brad Namahoe, It was obvious to me that these forms were almost EXACTLY IDENTICAL to the Kajukenbo "Palama Sets" that I had seen in my past Kajukenbo training in Rhode Island. When I trained in Kempo Jutsu under Prof. Feliciano "Kimo" Ferreira and learned his first form, Again, it was almost indential to the Kajukenbo kata [no surprise as his main instructor was Walter Godin].
I will be more than happy to write a far more detailed post regarding the similarities and identical actions,techniques,forms,etc... on another thread. But, i did feel that this particular post had to be addressed. In closing, I feel to say that the New England originated kenpo styles have no kajukenbo in them is inaccurate and although Mr. Bishop may have made that statement,He did not do so from an educated and diversified viewpoint. Therefore, he is incorrect in that statement.
Thank you for your time,
KENPOJOE

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KENPOJOE said:
HI FOLKS
After reading your post, I felt I had to say something regarding it. You have admitted in the past that you have never studied Shaolin Kempo and were not familiar with it. As a Black Belt in several of the various Chuan fa/Kempo/Kenpo arts, I have seen numerous similarities and many times exact duplications of various Kajukenbo material. Having studied Karazenpo Goshinjutsu,Shaolin Kempo. Kenpo Karate [New England based], Ed Parker's American Kenpo, David German's T.A.I. Kenpo, as well as Bill Gregory's Kajukenpo-Pai Lum, I have always focused on searching out the similarities and differences between the various incarnations of the art.
I also studied Kajukenbo for a short time with the only Rhode Island certified Kajukenbo through the I.K.A as well as attended Kallaii Griffin's past Kajukenbo event [and plan on attending this years too!] I look forward to obtaining the new Kajukenbo series of DVDs to further research the similarities.
I will write a far more detailed post on this topic in the near future, however, I can catagorically state several points:
The lineage of the new england based kenpo that is based on karazenpo goshinjutsu uses the exact same salutation ["Right foot out on elbows"] as the Kajukenbo palama sets.
2. the kajukenbo opening [A left vertical outward blaock with a simultaneous right front 2 knuckle/horizontal thrust/seiken punch <sometimes with a right front snap kick in some kajukenbo lineages] is a frequently used technique in several of the shaolin kempo forms [2 kata,hansuki,5 pinan,etc...] This motion stems from the southern chinese kung fu styles.
3. As I was viewing the Gary Forbach kajukenbo self defense tapes [#2,punch counters,#3 club counters, and #4 Knife counters] I saw many similar techniques and exact techniques taught in our kenpo curriculums, everything from the classic "return to sender" use with both the club and knife.
4. when I learned the "monkey dances" of the Kajukenpo Goshinjutsu system as taught to me by Prof. Mike Rash and Sigung Brad Namahoe, It was obvious to me that these forms were almost EXACTLY IDENTICAL to the Kajukenbo "Palama Sets" that I had seen in my past Kajukenbo training in Rhode Island. When I trained in Kempo Jutsu under Prof. Feliciano "Kimo" Ferreira and learned his first form, Again, it was almost indential to the Kajukenbo kata [no surprise as his main instructor was Walter Godin].
I will be more than happy to write a far more detailed post regarding the similarities and identical actions,techniques,forms,etc... on another thread. But, i did feel that this particular post had to be addressed. In closing, I feel to say that the New England originated kenpo styles have no kajukenbo in them is inaccurate and although Mr. Bishop may have made that statement,He did not do so from an educated and diversified viewpoint. Therefore, he is incorrect in that statement.
Thank you for your time,
KENPOJOE

Actually, the Shaolin Kempo system is recorded on DVD's by Fred Villari and several others, so the cirriculum is out there for everyone to see, including myself. So please feel free to point out any of the SKK techniques that are identical to the "Original Method" of Kajukenbo (which was the only Kajukenbo Method during Sonny Gascon's Kajukenbo training).
The cirriculum of the "Original Method" of Kajukenbo is also recorded for historical accuracy in "Emperado's WKO" series.
You, being on the east coast should know that almost all the instructors of kajukenbo there have training backgrounds in kenpo systems several generations removed from Kajukenbo. You should also know that GM Kalaii Griffin came into the Kajukenbo organization from EPAK after SGM Parker passed away. Sijo Emperado told us at the time, that he "accepted him into the organization out of respect for Ed Parker". But GM Griffin teaches his own method of Kajukenbo which draws from his training in jujitsu, kenpo, kung fu, and other systems he studied.
So who taught you Kajukenbo in Rhode Island? Does his training come directly from Kajukenbo, or did it come thru the Pesare, Cerio, Villari lineage?
As to the salutation in the Palama Sets, there are actually 3 used by the differant Kajukenbo branches, and the X-block & horse stance used on Villari's DVD's is just half of the Kajukenbo salutations. Since Villari claims to be the founder of Shaolin Kempo Karate, I would assume he's the authority on the system.
So are you trying to say that Pesare's Kenpo, or Nick Cerios Kenpo, or Shaolin Kempo, or Kajukenpo Pai Lum are all the same or similar to Kajukenbo? That's a pretty far stretch. Sort of like saying Shotokan, Wado Ryu, Gosoku Ryu, and Kyokushin Kai are the same as Shorin Ryu, because they're only 3-5 generations removed from Shorin Ryu.
In Kajukenbo, we don't claim to be the same as Danzan Ryu jujitsu, even though 2 of our founders came from Danzan Ryu. We also don't claim to be the same as Kara-ho or kenpo jujitsu, because one of our founders came from that lineage.
The Shaolin Kempo people need to establish their own identity, instead of claiming to be from, or the same as Kajukenbo. I see people making claims on their websites that they are offshoots, sub-systems, or branches of Kajukenbo. There are only 3 authorized branches of the Original Kajukenbo system; Chuan fa, Tum Pai, and Wun Hop Kuen Do. And the 3 remaining founders are the only 10th degrees in all the Kajukenbo branches.
So again. I've got DVD's of the Shaolin Kempo Cirriculum from it's founder Fred Villari, and DVD's of the Kajukenbo cirriculum from our founder, Adriano Emperado. So please tell me where the identical technique combinations and katas are.
Anyway, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with any of the east coast kenpo variants. Just that they are not the same or similar to Kajukenbo.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
KENPOJOE said:
HI FOLKS
Thank you for your time,
KENPOJOE

Kenpojoe,

I thought I’d chime in here since this is something that I’ve given a lot of thought and study to. When I started training with John Bishop a few months ago, I had a lot of questions about the similarities between Shaolin Kempo Karate (SKK) and Kajukenbo (KJKB). I loaned John my Villari DVDs and I already had the WKO DVDs. We (along with another SKK guy who is now a KJKB black belt) came to the conclusion that there was one part of one technique that was similar in the entire system. KJKB Punch Counter #6 and SKK Combination (or Defensive Maneuvers if you’re from the USSD) #4 have similar beginning moves. They are not identical because in SKK they are performed against a Japanese Karate forward punch attack and in KJKB they are performed against a boxer’s reverse punch attack. Therefore, the SKK uses an upblock for its opener and KJKB uses an outside block.

But that was it. No other combinations in common in the entire white to black belt curriculum. Zip. Sure they both have similar basics such as front snap, side snap, side thrust, roundhouse and back kicks. They both have forward punches and cat stances etc. and up, down, inside and outside blocks, but so does every style of karate I have ever seen. So that gets us nowhere in terms of similarities of art.

SKK is much more Japanese in flavor than KJKB is. As mentioned above, all of the Combos/DMs are done against a standard karate forward punch in SKK, whereas in KJKB they are against boxer’s punches.

In SKK, the club and knife counters are not standardized like they are in KJKB. When I was in the USSD, every instructor made up his or her own or else borrowed them from some tape etc. that they had seen. (Side note: The USSD under Mattera is identical in terms of technique content to Villari’s. I also got the entire white to black belt tape series from them when I was there, though they don’t sell them to the public at large).

I thought SKK was a good art. I thought it was better than the Shotokan I studied due to its versatility etc. But it was taught poorly in the USSD for the most part. I also don’t think that there’s anything wrong with people tracing their lineage and history, i.e., who trained whom and when and where etc. but to say that SKK and KJKB are essentially the same is misleading because there are no techniques in common that I have seen.

Everyone knows that Gascon trained in KJKB. But he apparently changed a lot when he created Karazenpo Go Shinjitsu. Then Pesare changed even more and added and deleted, then Cerio had all of his changes, then Villari did some more. So what we have now in SKK looks nothing like KJKB in my opinion. I'm not saying it's inferior as an art, but it's sure as hell different.

Respectfully,

Dan Weston

texasbmas

White Belt
Reaction score
99% of you people have no clue about ussd,you sit here and talk so much crap but do you really dont know anything except what these washed up karate instuctors that make 35k a year or less at there studio tell you.

ussd is the most sucessfull chain of studios in the world and many instuctors in ussd make more than many doctors and other high paying jobs
do they charge alot of money? yes but when you are running a business you have too.all of there studios are at easy access locations and open 9 hours a day for the customers conveinence,not some instuctor that works as a plumber then teaches after work for three hours .and no mattera did not self promote himself he was tested at the temple and recived his 10th degree.
so all you looser instructors keep talkin crap and reading your martial arts profesional magazine and making everyone money except yourself,while mattera drives around in his aston martin vanquish.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
texasbmas said:
99% of you people have no clue about ussd,you sit here and talk so much crap but do you really dont know anything except what these washed up karate instuctors that make 35k a year or less at there studio tell you.

ussd is the most sucessfull chain of studios in the world and many instuctors in ussd make more than many doctors and other high paying jobs
do they charge alot of money? yes but when you are running a business you have too.all of there studios are at easy access locations and open 9 hours a day for the customers conveinence,not some instuctor that works as a plumber then teaches after work for three hours .and no mattera did not self promote himself he was tested at the temple and recived his 10th degree.
so all you looser instructors keep talkin crap and reading your martial arts profesional magazine and making everyone money except yourself,while mattera drives around in his aston martin vanquish.

Thanks man. You have just confirmed what everyone here has been saying.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
texasbmas said:

Proof to me there is a problem. It's called "sold out".

Are they successful financially? Absolutely. So is McDonalds. And the food is crap; just like the martial content of 99% of the USSD schools. And the 1% that ain't crap? Usually an instructor drafted by the need for cash from another system.

You can't make great wine from crappy grapes.

texasbmas

White Belt
Reaction score
lets face reality ,ussd has over 140 studios with over 50 thousand students they have helped alot of people loose weight gain self confidence etc.. i love people that use the term sell out ,ussd is using the same material that was taught to mattera by nick cerio just in a larger scale. bands sign multi million dollar deals are they selling out .no they accomplised what they set out to do and thats to let millions of people hear there music and become successfull. is that not what everyone sets out to achieve?

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
Proof to me there is a problem. It's called "sold out".

It's not about good instruction, it's about MONEY.

Are they successful financially? Absolutely. So is McDonalds. And the food is crap; just like the martial content of 99% of the USSD schools.

But they're open 9 hours per day for their studen...er...CUSTOMERS.

And the 1% that ain't crap? Usually an instructor drafted by the need for cash from another system.

Plus they don't last there for long because they won't attract and retain enough CUSTOMERS.

You can't make great wine from crappy grapes.

Nuff said.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
texasbmas said:
lets face reality ,ussd has over 140 studios with over 50 thousand students they have helped alot of people loose weight gain self confidence etc.. i love people that use the term sell out ,ussd is using the same material that was taught to mattera by nick cerio just in a larger scale. bands sign multi million dollar deals are they selling out .no they accomplised what they set out to do and thats to let millions of people hear there music and become successfull. is that not what everyone sets out to achieve?

First, he wasn't taught by Cerio despite the stories he tells on his website. He was taught everything by Fred Villari.

Secondly, When you primary goal is to retain students rather than impart good martial arts instruction, you are going to be delivering an inferior product.

Third, Mattera was not taught by Cerio, but by Fred Villari.

Fourth, Mattera was Not taught by Cerio but by Villari.

Fifth, He and Demasco bought and paid for those ranking from the Shaolin Temple. Their system is nothing like the gymnastics that the monks there do.

texasbmas

White Belt
Reaction score
i think i might know a little more about mattera than you,and yes nick cerio did teach mattera along with villari.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
texasbmas said:

Let's face reality...USSD churns and burns students for their hard-earned cash, providing inferior service with no quality control, specifically so that Mattera CAN drive whatever frickin car he wants. Most of the Black Belts (minus 1-2 exceptions who were already good before they joined the idiot...I mean Dark Side) I've seen come out of that diploma mill have been laughable, and ought to be embarassed. But they don't KNOW to be embarrassed by their lack of skill, because their instructor...the guy who BS'd them out of their money so he could make a decent income for himself and his organization...told them they are doing just fine, earned their rank, and are every bit as good as any other Yack Belt.

Why does he believe this? Because he was sold the same line of crap from Mattera & company. Because there was money on the line.

You cannot buy skill. You CAN bamboozle the public out of their money, and blow smoke up their butts about how great they are doing, now that the check has cleared. And you CAN buy rank from hungry representatives of a public tourist function in a foreign country (Shaolin).

Enjoy your experience, but don't for a second be fooled that you've learned anything worth a crap.

Regards,

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.