Unintended Consequences

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has read the book "Unitended Consequences" by John Ross? If so, what are your thoughts on it?

For those of you not familiar with it, imagine "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand, but instead of buisiness, it's about the gun culture.

JeffJ

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Unintended Consequences is a complex and lengthy book, the first part of which is probably the finest historical novel concerning the "gun culture" that has ever been written. As the book leaves the realm of fictionalized historic events (such as the Bonus Marchers -- very few kids today will have learned about that in school) and becomes a pro-gun fantasy in which our hero and his girlfriend and his other girlfriend strike righteous blows for freedom by making it look like Democrat politicians have been killed in homosexual trysts gone wrong (I am not making this up) it loses credibility and becomes less enjoyable.

There is, in fact, a rather bizarre sexual undercurrent to portions of the novel, either because Ross thought it would spice up the narrative or because he's a little out there himself. I found this a little distracting and didn't think it added to the book.

Overall it's an excellent novel and well worth reading.

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Phil, I pretty much completely agree with your little review. One thing I'm surprised you didn't mention was the way over used heavy handed foreshadowing. I found that more annoying and distracting than the sexual content. A lot of the first part of the book is semi autobiographical, and very well done. Towards the end, it is a little bizzare, but still entertaining. Lots of good info in there and a pretty good "what if" kind of story.

Jeff

Latest Discussions