Unconventional weapons

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've posted that video on a few different threads now, what are you selling?

Russian Whips

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You've posted that video on a few different threads now, what are you selling?

Sorry if I seem too active... Did not mean to push anything on you ))) I am new to this forum. On the other hand it's true I am big fan of nagaika whips in terms of collecting, practicing and yes, selling them. Is it ok here?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry if I seem too active... Did not mean to push anything on you ))) I am new to this forum. On the other hand it's true I am big fan of nagaika whips in terms of collecting, practicing and yes, selling them. Is it ok here?

No worries, it's just that most of us will click on to the 'new post' page rather than specific sections so we read a lot of different things, if the same thing is posted on a lot of sections it looks like you are selling something lol.
I will say though that whips aren't a common weapon in the UK, it would also be illegal to carry one in public for self defence and there's no other use here for the type of whips you like. Riding whips especially long schooling ones are different though :D

Russian Whips

Orange Belt
Reaction score
No worries, it's just that most of us will click on to the 'new post' page rather than specific sections so we read a lot of different things, if the same thing is posted on a lot of sections it looks like you are selling something lol.
I will say though that whips aren't a common weapon in the UK, it would also be illegal to carry one in public for self defence and there's no other use here for the type of whips you like. Riding whips especially long schooling ones are different though :D

The whips like I use are traditional cossack riding tool and combat weapons all in one. They are also used by Systema (Russain Martial Art) practitioners for training self defense techniques and even massage!

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Liking them? Cool. Collecting, practicing? All good. Selling them? Sure… but not here. That is, unless you have paid for advertising space (as some members, such as Brian Van Cis have done)… the ebay link in your profile page may go against the terms and conditions on advertising you agreed to when you joined… I understand it can be seen as an oversight, but I'd get it checked by running it past the management if I was you…

Russian Whips

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am not selling anything here )) having ebay account is not an offence I suppose (most people here have one I am sure). Not in the profile of course ))) Thanks for telling.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not a problem. As I said, I'd send a message through to the management (use the "Contact Us" tab at the bottom of the page) to see about their take… simply having it can be seen as tacit (implied) advertising… or they might say it's all cool. But I'd check to be sure.

Russian Whips

Orange Belt
Reaction score
But coming back to the subject ... how about an idea of using the coin purse in self-defence? Can anyone share the actual experience?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know of anyone ever who has used a 'coin purse' let alone has one, wouldn't even know where to get one.

Kiki

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
A coin purse can definitely provide a surprising amount of power.
One former prison guard carried just a roll of nickels in a glove as a sap and said it was a common practice amongst his coworkers.

Legally- the key, as with many improvised saps, in the U.S. would be whether or not you were judged as having carried it 'as' a weapon. If so you're guilty of a crime just for carrying it.
So a coin purse with some assorted change, your keys, a reasonable trinket or two (bottle opener), etc. would more than likely be fine legally for carry purposes. Meanwhile if it's filled with a pound and a half of quarters, you're probably going to have trouble explaining it away after defending yourself with it.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bringing out a coin purse could actually start a fight, men who carry coin purses appear miserly and finicky, like an old maid.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never liked the balled up newspaper idea for multiple reasons.
1: Will you really have time to roll up a newspaper?
2: If you do, it will be very clear to the person that you plan on using the newspaper to defend yourself. This wouldn't be an issue (it isn't for a shovel, for instance) if it wasn't for
3: How much do you have to train attacking someone with a newspaper where they wont be willing to just absorb the damage? I've never tried it but I imagine if I defended myself with a newspaper, they would just absorb it and continue stabbing me.
As for a ball cap brim-I have never heard of that? How would you successfully use it to defend yourself?
The concept with the rolled-up newspaper would be to carry it that way, not to roll it up at the moment of imminent attack. And the main advantage it gives is extended reach. It also provides something you can hit with, with very little chance of injuring yourself and which can absorb damage (for instance, from a knife).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are two considerations; First consideration is the have with you weapons that you train with and aren't afraid to use. You should have on your person a defensive weapon such as a firearm, edged weapon, blunt weapon (such as a kubaton) or chemical weapon (such as O.C. spray). Preferably one from each category.

Secondly, there may be times when you can't have those weapons on your person or in close proximity. But there are always alternatives. For example, perhaps you can't carry a kubaton on you (for some reason such as being in a court house or secure portion of an airport or even on a plane) but you can carry a Sharpie magic marker. It can fulfill the same purpose and effect. There are various types of keychain attachments that don't look like edged brass knuckles but can be used as such. One looks like a kitty cat and can be picked up at a flea market. Throwing loose change or keys in the face of the attacker (or dirt, sand, gravel or any loose objects that can be grabbed and thrown) can provide an opportunity for counter-attack or escape. If you're in the parking lot it isn't hard to snap off a car antenna (if you can find a car that has one). Of course if your in a parking lot you may have a rock, small chunk of concrete, broken glass, shopping cart or some other object laying around that can be used as an improvised weapon. If you're in a store then you've likely got an unlimited supply of projectile objects such as cans and other items that can inflict damage. How about your belt? In your own home you've got ash trays, butcher knives, lamps, glass in picture frames etc. Anyone still have a land line phone with a cord? You don't have to be a 20th degree black belt to put the base of a lamp upside someone's head. Or put a piece of furniture between you and them while hurling large, heavy and perhaps pointy objects at them. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to pick up a heavy object, smash a window or mirror and select an appropriate shard of glass. How about a chair?

The point is that a good SD course (or SD oriented MA) should develop in you the ability to quickly size up your area and the potential weapons available. As you go about your day look around at the objects in your immediate area. What could you throw, slash with, hit with, stab with, distract with? With the proper mind set you are most likely in an environment with a veritable arsenal of lethal objects.
It has been several years since I gave up carrying any of those categories on a regular basis. For those of us who travel by plane, they get taken away from us if we try to carry them on, and a weapon you think you have with you but don't (because you couldn't take it on the plane) is worse than the weapon you don't even think about.

So, I focus on learning and teaching principles that can be applied with what can be found - as you suggest, getting good at finding weapons in what's around you.

Kiki

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Agreed. People carrying around tactical spikes, etc. are just asking for trouble (legally) from my perspective.
Even if you use it in self defense a lawyer is going to love that you were carrying something that only has one purpose, to hurt someone.
That being said of course I love well made weapons and don't begrudge someone carrying one.
I carry a sap once in a while just because I spent so much time researching them for my book

Last edited:

Russian Whips

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Speaking about belts... and purses. Both can enhance the striking power if one knows how to use them ))

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking about belts... and purses. Both can enhance the striking power if one knows how to use them ))
I'm having trouble imagining an attack that leaves me enough time to remove my belt. I suppose there are some belts that might be easier to remove, and some pants that have large enough belt loops to have no chance of snagging, but I'd expect most folks would end up with their belt half-off about the time they needed it...at best. And anyone who has a wide waist is likely to have to do the rest of their defense without taking a step, as their pants become leg shackles.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The concept with the rolled-up newspaper would be to carry it that way, not to roll it up at the moment of imminent attack. And the main advantage it gives is extended reach. It also provides something you can hit with, with very little chance of injuring yourself and which can absorb damage (for instance, from a knife).
Perhaps Tez3 can tell us of her experiences(if any) with the Millwall Brick.