Unconventional weapons

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What on earth are you talking about?

I mean… I don't even know where to start with this, but… what on earth are you talking about? None of that has anything to do with the thread, the post you quoted, or reality itself… so… huh? Using a short sword?!?

Dude…

No, I was talking about if some one breaking in. Out in public most these weapons are illegal.

If cop seen you walking down street or you used this in self defense in public in most places you will be going to jail.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, I was talking about if some one breaking in. Out in public most these weapons are illegal.

If cop seen you walking down street or you used this in self defense in public in most places you will be going to jail.
Weapons for a home invasion wouldn't generally be considered improvised. And in the case you get to choose what you happen to be near in your house, I'd prefer a gun. Plus I'm fairly certain the average person is more likely to have that than a short sword.

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Weapons for a home invasion wouldn't generally be considered improvised. And in the case you get to choose what you happen to be near in your house, I'd prefer a gun. Plus I'm fairly certain the average person is more likely to have that than a short sword.

Well obvious in the US guns is sorta of more rule for self defense for home invasion but in countries with very strict gun laws you may need short sword, pipe, crowbar , hammer or hanbo so on.

Out in public there not lot you could have other than walking cane, flashlight like in your car or newspaper or magazine.

But if some one comes up to you on the street well you not going to have time to roll up a newspaper or magazine. And walking down the street with rolled up newspaper or magazine people will look at you strange.

Tired_Yeti

Green Belt
Reaction score
Never liked the balled up newspaper idea for multiple reasons.
1: Will you really have time to roll up a newspaper?
2: If you do, it will be very clear to the person that you plan on using the newspaper to defend yourself. This wouldn't be an issue (it isn't for a shovel, for instance) if it wasn't for
3: How much do you have to train attacking someone with a newspaper where they wont be willing to just absorb the damage? I've never tried it but I imagine if I defended myself with a newspaper, they would just absorb it and continue stabbing me.
As for a ball cap brim-I have never heard of that? How would you successfully use it to defend yourself?

I've heard of the rolled up newspaper before. It can be a fair deterrent to crime but you have rub your home invaders nose in a pile of crap on the carpet before you swat him with the paper. When you calculate in the time it will take you to drop a deuce on the carpet before you roll up the newspaper (can't roll it up first because you'll need to read the sports section while you get the deuce rolling), it just becomes a slow, messy technique.

I've use the brim of a cap to successfully defend myself on a number of occasions. I find its most effective outdoors on sunny days. I've been able to shield my eyes from the assault of hostile sun rays with ease.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Tired_Yeti

Green Belt
Reaction score
i personally wouldnt bother with a Newspaper, but rather a Magazine with a bound edge would make for a better tool.

Black Belt magazine or Karate Illustrated would work best.

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've use the brim of a cap to successfully defend myself on a number of occasions.

knife-3.jpg

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score

And, have you considered reading the thread first? At least the OP? This thread is about improvised weapons, not ones designed for the purpose… and your post had nothing to do with it whatsoever.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What on earth are you talking about?

I mean… I don't even know where to start with this, but… what on earth are you talking about? None of that has anything to do with the thread, the post you quoted, or reality itself… so… huh? Using a short sword?!?

Dude…

lol yes and btw a hanbo is as long as a baseball bat...
a rolled magazine (not newspaper) rammed with the tip to the throat could do damage. otherwise it would only hurt and not keep aggressive attackers from going on i guess.
my favourite improvised weapon (so basically not being one) will always be the key.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
lol yes and btw a hanbo is as long as a baseball bat…

Er… close, sure…. but a completely different architecture, weight, balance, and more…

a rolled magazine (not newspaper) rammed with the tip to the throat could do damage. otherwise it would only hurt and not keep aggressive attackers from going on i guess.

There are other usages, of course…

my favourite improvised weapon (so basically not being one) will always be the key.

Yep, I like that one.

To give my answer (as I don't think I've done that yet), I don't have one… in fact, I very deliberately don't have one. An improvised weapon is specifically that… an improvised weapon. I don't know what I'll have around me, so I don't want to rely on any one thing at all… otherwise you're moving away from "improvised weapon" (EDO - "everyday objects") to "prepared tool/weapon" (EDC - "everyday carry")… even if it wasn't designed as one initially…

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
And, have you considered reading the thread first? At least the OP? This thread is about improvised weapons, not ones designed for the purpose… and your post had nothing to do with it whatsoever.

Is OP concern about self defense on the street or if some one broke into house like a home invasion.

The OP did not say what country or state so we don't know the laws in that area.

The OP said improvised weapons so I guess some country that is really strict on weapons.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Is OP concern about self defense on the street or if some one broke into house like a home invasion.

The OP did not say what country or state so we don't know the laws in that area.

The OP said improvised weapons so I guess some country that is really strict on weapons.
Op is from Kansas. His question was about improvised weapons, not what the laws are in some country, nor whether the application was a home invasion or being attacked on the street.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score

And, to add to Frank's comments, as he asked earlier, in what way is a short sword an "improvised weapon"?

I stand by what I said. Your post had nothing to do with the post you quoted, the OP, or the thread.

BLACK

White Belt
Reaction score
: improvised
created and performed spontaneously or without preparation; impromptu.
"an improvised short speech"
  • done or made using whatever is available; makeshift.
    "we slept on improvised beds"

This is a 2 way street so it can be all encompassing... It can be something spontaneous like the rock at your feet or something makeshift like a chain for a belt or a piece of paracord with a sharp object attached to it.
It is my belief that it is an integral part of the discipline of preserving oneself and all that is around, yet it is something that is commonly overlooked and disregarded.

Another way to look at it is the body is an improvised weapon as it can be fashioned in a spontaneous manner to address a threat or it can be fashioned in a makeshift manner to address a threat. Improvisation paved the way for many of the different styles and techniques so I would say wholeheartedly that it is an integral part of the martial way.

ShawnP

Blue Belt
Reaction score
can we get back on topic here and stop defining the word improvised, we all know what it means and the follow up posts were to get people to reply to the original post not continue to post definitions.

Tired_Yeti

Green Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I see value in training in some traditional weapons. Specifically, "sticks" of various sizes. I think training in Bo, Jo, and Tanbo could be very useful. If you stop and look around, you'll notice that we are surrounded by sticks everywhere. Just the other day, I was brushing the side of the pool and thought about what I'd do if 2 or 3 robbers hoped the fence. One pinch and pull and the brush end comes off the pole and I essentially have bo. I could just wildly swing and poke at them like a panicked money or I could use the weapon properly if I've trained with it adequately. Broom handles, shovels, rakes, the ice scraper in your car, the squeegee you wipe the windows with, etc. can all be weapons.
Personally, I don't want to spend time on sai, 3-section staff, or nunchaku because I don't see much relevance to improvised weapons in my environment.

Meh...just some musings of mine.

"Re-stomp the groin"

Russian Whips

Orange Belt
Reaction score
How about an everyday item like a purse? Well a coin purse on a strap full of small change? Unless you want to use the lead shop sap, of course )))

Latest Discussions