Uncomfortable

Discussion in 'Women of the Martial Arts (Women Martial Artists)' started by Lilian, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member

Then why say someone is awesome because they say they can fix things ( as most women I know can, if they can't they get someone in who can) and will teach women to be more like men. People are people, applauding someone who stereotypes women is just plain silly.

2. CB Jones

CB Jones Senior Master

My wife learned long ago to be very direct with me. Makes everything much easier.

3. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Here in the states women tend to use the word "fine' or "I'm fine" in a rather curious way. I don't know what it might mean in Great Britain, but here it means, "dude, you better run."

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

If there’s one thing I know about women’s psychology, it’s “I’m fine” never means “I’m fine” the way men mean it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

The first thing you must teach is getting women to stop the ridiculous silent treatment. Then also teach 2 simple words - I’m sorry.

My wife loves the silent treatment. And she thinks she’s got a great reason - she says she hates fighting. My reply - “actually, you love to fight. Rather than saying exactly what’s on your mind and getting it over and done with in a few minutes, you use this junior high school passive-aggressive crap that drags it out for days.”

And I haven’t heard “I’m sorry” nor “you’re right” in several years. When I’m wrong, I fully admit it, apologize and move on. I genuinely do everything I realistically can to avoid doing it again. When I’m right, I expect the same in return. The absolute worst is when I prove I’m right; I get that “oh sh!t” look from her, then she just walks away, and 10 minutes later it’s like it never happened. An “I’m sorry” goes quite a long way and takes such little effort.

Rant over.

6. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

One word TRUMP. So when do my French Lessons begin lol.

By the way mods. This is a joke not a political statement.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member

No, you mean teach your wife not women. You do it and leave the rest of us alone. Your wife isn't millions of women.

8. CB Jones

CB Jones Senior Master

I love the silent treatment as well.....especially during football games and MMA events on tv. ;)

9. AngryHobbit

AngryHobbit Master of Arts

Wasn't from me! I am having a really inferior year so far, so being told awesome is... well.... awesome! :)

10. AngryHobbit

It's the timing... The timing is crucial!

I am afraid ladies around the world would rather scoff at me - silent treatment is NOT my strong suit. Now, the LOUD treatment.... we can talk.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

I bet your Dog House has a pool table, frig, and a big screen TV from all the time you spend in it. ha ha ha.

12. AngryHobbit

Wow... I am sorry - that is tough. I honestly can't tell you why the silent treatment is considered such a good idea. My challenge is - having been brought up by men, I have trouble relating to women. Because I interact like a guy in so many ways. So, when women give me the silent treatment - it confuses me too. I recognize it but I don't understand it. Also, when a woman says "Fine," I am fully aware it's not fine, but I don't understand why she says that.

I am not saying I am ideal, but I think @gpseymour 's life is somewhat easier because I am not typical. We can discuss cars, whiskey, and cigars. He knows, more often than not, I will not just going to stomp around slamming things and stewing and saying I'm "fine" - I will say, "Hey, I know I am being totally snarky today - I am sorry, I've had a rotten day at work. Would you please pick up a load of laundry - it would sure help a lot." And don't even start me on the amount of squealing and jumping I do when I get home, and something is already done - stove has been scrubbed, laundry has been folded, dining room table no longer resembles a war zone... It doesn't have to be big - but whatever it is, I always think it's delightful. So, I'll say so. Profusely.

It also helps, I suppose, being a scientist and a scholar, educated in an array of what is considered traditionally male disciplines. When your life is spend with lab results, records, data, theories, etc. - you have to be prepared to be wrong and admit so, regardless of gender.

13. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

I used to have a room like that. No pool table though. A pair of comfy recliners, big TV, my stereo, total gym, and odd stuff I bought while traveling.

Then we had kids. ‘Nuff said.

14. AngryHobbit

"Fridge", dear, "fridge" - not "frig". "Frig" is an old-fashioned word for pleasuring oneself. :)

15. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    Why do you think all the women of the world are the same?

I'm sorry you've been having a bad year so far, but really you should not be bashing women. It would make you awesome if you said instead 'you know what, stereotyping women is wrong, women are as individual as men. Men aren't all the same nor are women'.

What if I started on about 'strong and silent men', how all men should be like that, how they should be strong with their women, treat em mean to keep em keen I believe is the expression. People would rightly be horrified. Women do amazing jobs all over the world, they manage companies, they are scientists, pilots, surgeons, astronauts, military officers etc etc and you want to teach them to 'talk, fix things etc etc' just like men............................

16. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member

What a poor opinion you have of women. You make me very sad with your 'I'm one of the boys, I'm better than other females'.
    Many women can talk cars, gosh they even buy, mend, design and build cars. Whisky too. Cigars? yep there's women who can do that too.

Please stop running women down and yourself too, you are an individual not one brought up by men nor are you 'manlike', you are you, please celebrate that and don't assume women are some sort of foreign species.

17. Headhunter

Headhunter Senior Master

Just read through the last page of this...yeah I'm staying away from this thread

• Like Like x 1
  18. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member

Good thinking, it's turned into a woman bashing one....ironic on International Women's Day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    No JR. No, no, no. God no!

I would cut the tip off my baby finger, right God damn now, to have my wife give me a couple days of the silent treatment.

I can dream, I suppose.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. CB Jones

CB Jones Senior Master

Exactly!