Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Politics affecting martial arts, especially Korean ones? I'm shocked?! :lol:

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Koreans have nothing to do with this...

Im sure part of it is Aaron leaving the GB official program.

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score

Im sure part of it is Aaron leaving the GB official program.

I'm sure that's most of it. However, just to be clear, he left the fulltime GB Taekwondo Academy, he didn't leave British Taekwondo (the association).

And besides, surely we should be putting our best team out there regardless of who's "in" or "out" of whatever programme...

Still feeling sore about this...

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm sure that's most of it. However, just to be clear, he left the fulltime GB Taekwondo Academy, he didn't leave British Taekwondo (the association).

And besides, surely we should be putting our best team out there regardless of who's "in" or "out" of whatever programme...

Still feeling sore about this...

I didn't say it was right, it's a disgusting reason IMHO, but realistically that probably pissed someone off in a position of power.

Wasnt sure how the whole thing worked so thanks for the clarification Andy. Cook is training at a private club now right?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This has got to be the biggest dis-appointment I have had in years. This kids deserves to be there, he is one of the best fighters in TKD and not on a team. All I can say is TKD has made one big mistake.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow!!! Even USAT could not do this! If you go to team trails and win you are in, simple as that. There are Olympic trials as well but how can they simply keep him out because he wanted to train with his coach and on his own. Makes no sense to me.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Er, yeah. That was meant to be a joke, ET, inspired by the legendary squabbles that go on in the TKD associations.

This is clearly a 'political' decsion made by someone whose nose got put out of joint by some choices made by the martial artist in question. Whether a change of heart will come about due to the publicity, only time will tell.

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Wow... I mean... What?

Did these people not go to Manchester? This is just beyond ridiculous.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
*pre-olympic British Taekwondo biggest moment publicity stunt cough cough* He'll win the appeal. Either that or someone somewhere is pretty short sighted.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Er, yeah. That was meant to be a joke, ET, inspired by the legendary squabbles that go on in the TKD associations.

This is clearly a 'political' decsion made by someone whose nose got put out of joint by some choices made by the martial artist in question. Whether a change of heart will come about due to the publicity, only time will tell.

I got the joke. ;) most of those squabbles have little to do with Koreans too to be fair

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not fair. I feel bad for Aaron.

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I didn't say it was right, it's a disgusting reason IMHO, but realistically that probably pissed someone off in a position of power.

I agree (and I didn't think you thought it was right).

Wasnt sure how the whole thing worked so thanks for the clarification Andy. Cook is training at a private club now right?

He has a large shed equipped in his bag garden and then travels around the world to train with others, I believe.

The selection process appears to be one done by committee rather than open team trials. To obtain the selection rules/process you have to apply to British Taekwondo.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
He has a large shed equipped in his bag garden and then travels around the world to train with others, I believe.
This interview talks about his leaving GB Taekwondo's national acadamy, (starting at 4:37) and shows his training facility in his back yard (6:20 shows the outside view, with numerous shots from inside). It is one nice "shed"!

Last edited by a moderator:

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

Latest Discussions