Unanswered questions

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, translating to convey a concept is often difficult. But somehow we need to get the meaning across. Plus, in unique environments the terminology is often unique as well. General Choi would explain he had to come up with / choose hundreds of names for techniques and you simply had to understand how the terminology applied. I expect that he came up with Korean names and someone helped him come up with English equivalents. Not an exact science, and it must have been repeated many times over as the works were translated into various languages. Once at a course a student was questioning how a move should be done differently if the text said "While Forming" as opposed to "While Executing" The General's son was there and his answer was "You are over analyzing" . So the point (IMO) was the process of translating or choosing words was not as painstakingly exacting as we might think.

Was the student over-analyzing, or was the General's son under-analyzing?

I've been made fun of for researching things in the past, only to have the same person come up to me and ask questions about my research 5 minutes later.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Was the student over-analyzing, or was the General's son under-analyzing?

r.
IMO the student was over analyzing. The General's son had spent plenty of time with his father at various courses and other similar events.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
IMO the student was over analyzing. The General's son had spent plenty of time with his father at various courses and other similar events.

That doesn't necessarily mean they saw eye-to-eye on everything.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
The relationship between x-step sparring and free sparring.
Per prior post you were looking for the official TKD answer.

Well, here are answers per General Choi anyway.

Without taking time now to cite text reference I will offer this. IIRC the text references 1 step as most important because it is an exercise that emphasizes "1 Technique for victory". (The ultimate goal of TKD) Note this is for combat / self defense and not Free sparring.
Now, this is somewhat contradictory from what he taught at courses when he would often state that 3 Step is the most important because it teaches the beginning student (Note that this is a beginning student exercise) because it's purpose is to teach the beginning student proper distance for blocking.
Note, again, that the blocking is not the type used in free sparring so the stated purpose is not targeted to free sparring.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
That doesn't necessarily mean they saw eye-to-eye on everything.
>>>
That doesn't necessarily mean they saw eye-to-eye on everything.<<

I am sure they did not. I am also certain he would not contradict what his father would want in front of his father at a course his father was teaching.

OP
PSMA

PSMA

White Belt
Reaction score
Per prior post you were looking for the official TKD answer.

Well, here are answers per General Choi anyway.

Without taking time now to cite text reference I will offer this. IIRC the text references 1 step as most important because it is an exercise that emphasizes "1 Technique for victory". (The ultimate goal of TKD) Note this is for combat / self defense and not Free sparring.
Now, this is somewhat contradictory from what he taught at courses when he would often state that 3 Step is the most important because it teaches the beginning student (Note that this is a beginning student exercise) because it's purpose is to teach the beginning student proper distance for blocking.
Note, again, that the blocking is not the type used in free sparring so the stated purpose is not targeted to free sparring.
This sounds like the course I’m referring to.

Latest Discussions