ummm....ok....

OP
Ken Morgan

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
KenseiSL (1 day ago)
What many people don't get when watching my vids is that nothing I am doing is unnecessary. They don't see the blocks interlaced with the cuts, hence they think I am doing things unnecessary. What looks like twirling is actually an umbrella block, or me swiping away a thrusting blade, or batting aside a high thrust, or stop blocking and counter cutting. In truth, if one is not completely familiar with this way of fighting, they will mis perceive and misunderstand everything. If they look with an eye to criticize and find fault, instead of look deeper and see truth, than they will only see fault and reckless abandon. This is true in all things I think. As I have said before, have an open heart and mind, and you will see things that you could not see before, though you witnessed the very same thing before. (from video guy's profile on youtube)

Little did we know...:duh:

OMG.....and he believes this drivel?.....

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Little did we know.

The fellow knows more and sees more clearly than all the experience of both East and West that went before him :irony:.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The Grandmaster of the style

zatoichi.jpg

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm no sword guy, but what would happen if this guy actually tried to cut something with one of those spinny twirly moves? Is he laughable or an actual danger to himself and others?

Peace,
Erik

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm no sword expert... but he's definitely a danger to himself. And I'd say he's a danger to anyone silly enough to stand in the area if he tries to cut something! My guess is that the sword would go flying out of his hand as soon as he made contact with something, and who knows where it would land!

OP
Ken Morgan

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm no sword guy, but what would happen if this guy actually tried to cut something with one of those spinny twirly moves? Is he laughable or an actual danger to himself and others?

Peace,
Erik

I think he's a danger to himself.

He will do some damage, no doubt about it, but he's using a sword like an axe, and not like a slicing knife. Japanese swords cut by slicing, not chopping. You can, though I do not recommend trying it, "pat" the edge of a Japanese sword, but the trick is not to "pull" the sword as you pat the edge. During practice if someone doesn't realize you have a shinken and touches your blade, never pull the sword away, it is the pulling motion that will cause the damage.

If he tried cutting some mats, his blade would get stuck in the first cm or two. In real life he may hit me, and I may need some stitches, but i know for certain my swing will split him in half. I'll take some stiches in order to win the fight. Small price to pay.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think he's a danger to himself.

He will do some damage, no doubt about it, but he's using a sword like an axe, and not like a slicing knife. Japanese swords cut by slicing, not chopping. You can, though I do not recommend trying it, "pat" the edge of a Japanese sword, but the trick is not to "pull" the sword as you pat the edge. During practice if someone doesn't realize you have a shinken and touches your blade, never pull the sword away, it is the pulling motion that will cause the damage.

If he tried cutting some mats, his blade would get stuck in the first cm or two. In real life he may hit me, and I may need some stitches, but i know for certain my swing will split him in half. I'll take some stiches in order to win the fight. Small price to pay.

"Let them cut your flesh and you cut their bones... let them cut your bones and you cut their life..." Good old Ittosai, huh Ken? Bit of an insight into actual sword combat for him there, I think. Not sure he'd be able to handle it (emotionally, mentally, physically).

Is there no way people like this can be stopped putting videos up? Really? I despair for the future of anyone coming into contact with him...

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, the only real way of stopping him would be to get him to accept a challenge, beat him, and post a recording of it on youtube.

I am only a 9th kyu ninpo (with a tiny bit of kendo experience), but even I could probably beat him with a boken if he insists on holding his boken like that, twirling it and turning his back.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I despair for the future of anyone coming into contact with him...
Eh, I figure Darwin's theory has to have some room to operate properly. :)

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ken, congratulations on your testing. If you do not mind me asking, what rank did you test for?

As to the videos filled with nonsense, I was surfing you-tube and saw this one, watched for .000001 seconds and moved on. During that time I threw up in my mouth a little.

Michael

OP
Ken Morgan

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ken, congratulations on your testing. If you do not mind me asking, what rank did you test for?

As to the videos filled with nonsense, I was surfing you-tube and saw this one, watched for .000001 seconds and moved on. During that time I threw up in my mouth a little.

Michael

Thank you.
4th Dan, Yondan.
There is some great stuff on youtube, some schools you never get a chance to see. Then you have these monkeys throwing their contribution into the mix. Honestly it really doesn't matter to me, provided they want to stay in their little corners of the world, but you get some 15 year old kids wacthing it, and people can not only learn incorrect skills, they can get hurt.
The ones who are serious about JSA will always find their way to the dojo, sooner or later. If this guy, or anybody walked in tomorrow, we would be more then happy to train him.

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thank you.
4th Dan, Yondan.
There is some great stuff on youtube, some schools you never get a chance to see. Then you have these monkeys throwing their contribution into the mix. Honestly it really doesn't matter to me, provided they want to stay in their little corners of the world, but you get some 15 year old kids wacthing it, and people can not only learn incorrect skills, they can get hurt.
The ones who are serious about JSA will always find their way to the dojo, sooner or later. If this guy, or anybody walked in tomorrow, we would be more then happy to train him.

Your welcome. Quite an accomplishment. I myself only tested to Shodan 6 yrs. ago in MSR and could not continue formal training and testing, however, I still keep up on what I learned (Omori ryu, Shinden Munen Ryu and Seitei Iai) Hopefully I'll get back to formal classes some day and be able to learn the Chuden and Okuden levels of MSR.

Michael

OP
Ken Morgan

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Your welcome. Quite an accomplishment. I myself only tested to Shodan 6 yrs. ago in MSR and could not continue formal training and testing, however, I still keep up on what I learned (Omori ryu, Shinden Munen Ryu and Seitei Iai) Hopefully I'll get back to formal classes some day and be able to learn the Chuden and Okuden levels of MSR.

Michael

There are some really good guys down your way.
We have people from your little corner of the world up here to train every May, http://www.uoguelph.ca/~iaido/iai.seminar.html. If you get some time come on up and join us.

Latest Discussions