Reaction score
[video=youtube_share;jpTk_PpSHso]http://youtu.be/jpTk_PpSHso[/video]

Hakko Denshin Ryu......

Mike

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I agree totally, with the proviso that I wouldn't train that much on the concrete. It is too easy to injure your ankles if you are not careful. I reckon you can train just as effectively on grass or even carpet for that matter. I hit my elbow falling on a wooden floor and that took more than 12 months to heal. In a real situation, if you know how to fall it will happen automatically if you have practised falling regularly. If you hurt yourself it is a small price to pay to ensure your safety. I don't believe you need to take that risk on a regular training basis though.
:asian:

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Mike, thanks for sharing the video.

I also think, as said above, train correctly and work up to as hard a surface as you can without undo injury. I do feel that concrete training could shorten your training life a bit over time.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was grappling on concrete just the other day. Brutal on the knees and elbows! Not some thing I would recommend all the time but every once in a while it is good.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fighting on concrete is different to training on concrete pretty much due to the length of time spent doing it. Fighting is inherently risky you probably will wind up getting scratched up regardless how good your break falling is.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XOkOvowlMMA

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Fighting on concrete is different to training on concrete pretty much due to the length of time spent doing it. Fighting is inherently risky you probably will wind up getting scratched up regardless how good your break falling is.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XOkOvowlMMA

That was nasty. Certainly effective, but just plain wrong.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Shajikfer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It would have been worse I imagine if he'd done it full impact on asphalt.

hussaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with doing concrete Ukemi every once in a great while. Generally drinking is involved, but not always.

Ankles aren't an issue if you flex your toes back, which engaged your calf and lifts ankles from the ground. Never had an ankle injury doing ukemi. Get scrapped up in roll or fall isn't perfect though.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Mike, thanks for sharing the video.

I also think, as said above, train correctly and work up to as hard a surface as you can without undo injury. I do feel that concrete training could shorten your training life a bit over time.

What video? Has it disappeared because there's nothing there :confused:

Latest Discussions