UFC and ninjitsu

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree, though I love the UFC alot. I miss the style vs style and round robin style of beatdown. It was more taxing.
Now everyone uses the same style of moves, so much so the commentator can predict what they are going to use.
I doubt the old schoolers would do well to be honest these days, just due to cardio and conditioning. Just look at gracie vs hughes

And lots of threads being brought back from the dead

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, though I love the UFC alot. I miss the style vs style and round robin style of beatdown. It was more taxing.
Now everyone uses the same style of moves, so much so the commentator can predict what they are going to use.
I doubt the old schoolers would do well to be honest these days, just due to cardio and conditioning. Just look at gracie vs hughes

And lots of threads being brought back from the dead
What seems to have happened in the various MMA events is that they've found a handful of techniques and tactics from several martial arts disciplines (not individual styles, but categories) that work UNDER THE RULES OF THE EVENT. The fighters and coaches have developed or selected training methods and regimens that successfully prepare their fighters for the events.

But, in doing so, they've lost distinguishing characteristics of any one style. I'd personally love to see people using recognizable tactics and techniques from various martial arts in MMA. I'd love to see a good judo player go up against a good Kempoist or a skilled jujitsu man face a good kickboxer. Right now, I don't think that's going to happen. The rules seem to favor decent striking moving into grappling towards a submission. That's why (I think) most fighters use more of a wrestler's stance, for example.

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, Jennum was an instructor with Robert Bussey Warrior International prior to (and after) competing in the UFC.

Jennum actually replaced Frank Shamrock not Hoyce Gracie. Frank was injured in his match vs. Felix Mitchell. Nobody replaced Hoyce, he forfited his match to Harold Howard due to dehydration. Jennum beat Howard in the final, Jennum's only match.

Jennum is currently a law enfocement officer in Omaha, Nebraska.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, Jennum was an instructor with Robert Bussey Warrior International prior to (and after) competing in the UFC.

Jennum actually replaced Frank Shamrock not Hoyce Gracie. Frank was injured in his match vs. Felix Mitchell. Nobody replaced Hoyce, he forfited his match to Harold Howard due to dehydration. Jennum beat Howard in the final, Jennum's only match.

Frank, or Ken?

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I talked to a police officer here in Omaha, NE about 2 years ago and she told me that Jennum does training on arrest and control procedures. I don't know how frequently etc. It wasn't clear if he was an officer or contracted, but if you say he's LEO I can't disagree.
We were at a Chuck Liddel autograph signing, waiting in line, and when we asked her what kind of training the OPD gets she knew his name and that he had been in the UFC.

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I talked to a police officer here in Omaha, NE about 2 years ago and she told me that Jennum does training on arrest and control procedures. I don't know how frequently etc. It wasn't clear if he was an officer or contracted, but if you say he's LEO I can't disagree.
We were at a Chuck Liddel autograph signing, waiting in line, and when we asked her what kind of training the OPD gets she knew his name and that he had been in the UFC.

Its not like I know the guy personally or anything, so I can't say for sure, but there was a story that surfaced not too long ago about him being attached by some punk kids trying to rob him when he was off duty.

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/12595306.html

Talk about your all time screw-ups when deciding who you are going to rob!! Then again they are not criminals because of their big brains.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I missed that, but nice article, it proves he is both a cop and trains them too :)

It's surprising, the areas mentioned are not at all thought of a dangerous or likely places for muggings.

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It's pretty cool that he managed to evade their attack from the back. Shows his training has worked! I would've liked to have seen it in action.

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Steve Jennum went on to fight in a no holds barred event against Marco Ruas in '96 and proceeded to get submitted by ground & pound in 1:45. I did some checking on RBWI. Robert Bussey claims to be one of the first men to bring togakure ryu back to the states, claims to have been trained in Japan by Masaaki Hatsumi, but his fighting style on his videos certainly looks nothing like the ninjutsu I have seen elsewhere...interesting that Jennum won his first fight with an armbar. The Gracies had me convinced that they invented that move...

Obi Wan Shinobi

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well Steve Jennum is definitely one tough cop and competitor. But I came across this guy on YouTube and he seems to be a pretty tough cookie himself. I believe his name is Hardee Merritt of ToShin Do from the North Carolina Quest Center.

Last edited by a moderator:

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Well Steve Jennum is definitely one tough cop and competitor. But I came across this guy on YouTube and he seems to be a pretty tough cookie himself. I believe his name is Hardee Merritt of ToShin Do from the North Carolina Quest Center.

Yeah, I saw this a while ago. I wish it were more clear so we could see the actual techniques being used...I wonder if there is any verification of this guy being a To Shin Do practitioner?

Last edited by a moderator:

Obi Wan Shinobi

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw this a while ago. I wish it were more clear so we could see the actual techniques being used...I wonder if there is any verification of this guy being a To Shin Do practitioner?

Yes he is a To Shin Do practicioner. He is in some of SKH's video magazines DVDs. I believe he is on February 2007 Grappler standing takedown DVD and on March 2007 Countering other Martial Arts DVD. Also he is co-owner of the NC Quest center and I agree with you on the subquality nature of the fight clip it was very blurry.

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yes he is a To Shin Do practicioner. He is in some of SKH's video magazines DVDs. I believe he is on February 2007 Grappler standing takedown DVD and on March 2007 Countering other Martial Arts DVD. Also he is co-owner of the NC Quest center and I agree with you on the subquality nature of the fight clip it was very blurry.

It's interesting to me that a To Shin Do practitioner would participate in this type of event. I don't think any member of the Bujinkan would ever do that. It's good to see him have some success though.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's interesting to me that a To Shin Do practitioner would participate in this type of event. I don't think any member of the Bujinkan would ever do that. It's good to see him have some success though.

Why?

Members of the Bujinkan have and continue to engage in sport martial arts.

I'll give you that it is not an application considered often or a frequent part of training. And for any real success, a practitioner has to be dedicated to their sport and seek outside conditioning, training, and coaching.

But, the Bujinkan draws all kinds of people from around the world. Some of them have an overlapping interest in martial sport, and develop that interest to one degree or another.

Obi Wan Shinobi

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yeah I agree even though personally I wouldn't do it just because of the risk of severe injury both short on long term. Not to mention that the money in MMA isn't as good as professional boxing.

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Why?

Members of the Bujinkan have and continue to engage in sport martial arts.

I'll give you that it is not an application considered often or a frequent part of training. And for any real success, a practitioner has to be dedicated to their sport and seek outside conditioning, training, and coaching.

But, the Bujinkan draws all kinds of people from around the world. Some of them have an overlapping interest in martial sport, and develop that interest to one degree or another.

Really? Anyone I would have heard of?